Oil. 5w30 but Fully or semi synth?

was8v

This has probably been done to death but:

Manual states 5w30 oil to be used. Manual also states "Mineral oil" so not synthetics.

I would have thought a modern car like this would run on fully synth (although I suppose it is not a turbo engine).

I'm planning to go for 5w30 semi synth (less than 1/2 price of fully synth) and change it myself every 6k miles.

What is the forum consensus on oil?

If you were buying a used car would you rather see fully synth changes every 12k or semi every 6k?!

Opieoils (i've used them a lot in the past) recommend either:

Millers 5w30 semi synth or a variety of 5w30 fully synth for the 350Z.

Now I understand the main advantage of fully synth is that it is longer lasting - higher shear strength. This has allowed manufacturers to get longer and longer drain intervals (up to 30k on some cars). Also won't break down as quickly at high temps.

If its going to get binned after only 9k miles, then it may as well be a cheaper semi synth (still using high quality brand oil). Opie are happy to recommend semi synth and the 350Z handbook specifically states "mineral oil" is recommended.

Seems the forum consensus is to use fully synth - but I'm now thinking its money down the drain for me so I will use semi synth and drain every 6k. Perhaps If I was aggressive with the revs on track days etc and 9k intervals then it would be worth me using fully synth.

Thanks for the input though everyone!

I'd be interested to hear the justification for such frequent changes!

Do these cars see a lot of track time? Or are they modified?

As far as I understand, they don't have a reputation for being particularly sensitive or prone to oil issues.

Is it just piece of mind? - If so can I have your old oil to put in my partners golf :lol:

PS I'm not tight - I'll happily spend the cash if its required. I have a mate with an intergalactic mileage diesel Peugeot at the other end of the scale who changes the oil with supermarket oil every 20k, and then puts the old engine oil in the fuel tank! The engine still runs sweetly (although the rest of the car is falling apart).

My oil is done on the service schedule so 9000 miles, but i use the royal purple as i know its good. i see the occassional track action, but nothing heavy. but i know that i get good lubrication from cold, and the engine is well protected.

You see this kind of question/discussion on every car forum, and the is no real right or wrong with modern oils, as they are all made to meet fairly stringent and exacting specifications, even the cheap ones ;)

I am inclined to think there is a lot of misinformation, everybody thinks because its fully synthetic, it must be the dogs dangles, but there are some fully synthetics out there that are of no better spec than some semi synth or even mineral oils.

So it States in the manual that mineral oil is to be used, but i wonder if that just got carried over from a manual re write, as the VQ35DE engine has been around for quite some time. and before fully synth oil was a rarity.

The way i see it you can play it two ways, use a lower spec oil and change it more frequently, or buy the top spec fully synth and enjoy longer service intervals, after all that is what it was designed for just like iridium plugs etc.

The only time i would be more careful about using the best oil is when you have either a highly stressed engine, IE track use, or forced induction, when you are running sometimes double the std power output,

even then it has a lot to do with engine reputation, for instance the 2JZGTE engine has a high reputation as being very strong, and can happily run 5-600BHP on std internals, and i only ever ran a semi synth in mine with no problems at all, i have also done the same with a SR20DET running nearly double the std power.

There is a very ineresting thread on the my350z.com forum put together by RESOLUTE.

Guys over the pond have been collating oil analysis of their used oils to determine how well they perform, and which is better under what conditions for standard or modded engines :thumbs:

No hearsay or brand snobbery....just the facts.

READ AT YOUR PERIL, AS IT WILL TAKE YOU WEEKS TO GO THROUGH IT ALL ;)

http://my350z.com/forum/engine-and-driv ... -info.html

There is a very ineresting thread on the my350z.com forum put together by RESOLUTE.

Guys over the pond have been collating oil analysis of their used oils to determine how well they perform, and which is better under what conditions for standard or modded engines :thumbs:

No hearsay or brand snobbery....just the facts.

READ AT YOUR PERIL, AS IT WILL TAKE YOU WEEKS TO GO THROUGH IT ALL ;)

http://my350z.com/forum/engine-and-driv ... -info.html

We did the same over on the SXOC a few years ago, and in fact its still ongoing, they are asking for oil samples to be analysed, other types of engines welcome.