Taxing Online After Sorn Stupidity

Beavis

I am putting road tax on my car again from the 1st April after i declared the car sorned in November manly because its not worth paying road tax on a car during the winter that i wont use. Now i can re-apply for road tax online again which is not a problem. The car has a mot and is insured, it states quite clearly that the tax disc can take 5 working days to arrive in the post. So a few days ago i thought i would apply online and get my disc early for the start of April, so i enter my reg/log book details but it says the tax disc will start from the 01/03/2010. It does not give me an option to state the start date this late in the month :wacko::surrender: Now with 1 hour and 45 minutes to go until the end of the month its still the same, they want me to pay for a months road tax with this time to go!! :lol::lol::lol:

Normally i renew my tax online with no problems but having sorned the car this winter i am finding out its not quite perfect the online route. I shall have to wait till midnight to do it now and wait for my tax disc to arrive late next week now we have the Easter holidays coming up. :shrug:

Yes, you can drive it while waiting in the post. I forgot all about me renewal notice that came thru and it was due on the Monday which was first day of the month, so on the Sunday night I thought I would need to go into the post office on Monday for it, but it states online it can take up to 5 days and your covered during this period while your waiting.

Yeh but Dave, car tax goes up from midnight tonight doesnt it??? It might be cheaper to still pay for this month. I think it goes up to £245 from tomorrow. Hence the reason i bought 12 months last night... :lol:

Yep it went up last night :dry:

Yeh but Dave, car tax goes up from midnight tonight doesnt it??? It might be cheaper to still pay for this month. I think it goes up to £245 from tomorrow. Hence the reason i bought 12 months last night... :lol:

Doh! Good job I got mine the other week, although only for 6 months this time and will loose 2 of them (well will claim them back ;) )

Doh! Good job I got mine the other week, although only for 6 months this time and will loose 2 of them (well will claim them back ;) )

Only taxing for 6 months myself this time ;)

I'm not so sure its ok to have no tax disc on display even though you've taxed it online. Yes you will not get caught by the ANPR cameras because on record you ARE taxed BUT there is still the issue of failing to display if you park your car somewhere with no disc. (although you'd probably get away with it)

I'm not so sure its ok to have no tax disc on display even though you've taxed it online. Yes you will not get caught by the ANPR cameras because on record you ARE taxed BUT there is still the issue of failing to display if you park your car somewhere with no disc. (although you'd probably get away with it)

I dont care Nixy i bloody paid for it so i will use the pot hole ridden roads if its the last thing i do. They should get their poxy online service working better :lol:

**** THE GOVERNMENT AND **** THE ANPR CAMERA USED BY THE POLICE. :#1:

The only thing i will be displaying is two fingers if i get pulled up!! :lol:

your allowed a week or something

Wrong - that's just a myth. Failure to display your tax disc is a separate offence to not actually having paid for the tax. Even if you have a disc it is an offence not to have it in your window.

http://www.penaltychargesforum.co.uk/sh ... isplay-tax

From dvla's website

I have not received the tax disc. Can I use the vehicle without the tax disc displayed?

When you apply for a tax disc online or by using our phone service you are able to legally continue to drive your vehicle for up to 5 days after the tax disc has expired while you wait for the new tax disc to arrive. This will only apply when you have applied for a new tax disc before the current one expires. You should continue to display the expired disc on your vehicle, until the new one arrives.

So dont know really with where i stand taxing whilst the car was sorned? Thats the point i was making i tried to apply before the 1st so i could have my disc in time but they would not give me the option when to start the licence from, it was obvious i did not want it from the 1st March. :wacko:

It's crazy, but the same at the post office. You can't have it in advance :byebye:

Yes you can, but only 2 days before the start of the month. Did you know if you get your car taxed at the Post Office on the 30th or 31st March you pay pre April Car Tax increase even if the tax is from the 1st April ;) Something to know for the future :thumbs:

your allowed a week or something

Wrong - that's just a myth. Failure to display your tax disc is a separate offence to not actually having paid for the tax. Even if you have a disc it is an offence not to have it in your window.

http://www.penaltychargesforum.co.uk/sh ... isplay-tax

From dvla's website

I have not received the tax disc. Can I use the vehicle without the tax disc displayed?

When you apply for a tax disc online or by using our phone service you are able to legally continue to drive your vehicle for up to 5 days after the tax disc has expired while you wait for the new tax disc to arrive. This will only apply when you have applied for a new tax disc before the current one expires. You should continue to display the expired disc on your vehicle, until the new one arrives.

So dont know really with where i stand taxing whilst the car was sorned? Thats the point i was making i tried to apply before the 1st so i could have my disc in time but they would not give me the option when to start the licence from. :wacko:

Not if you always wait until its run out first then like I do!

It's crazy, but the same at the post office. You can't have it in advance :byebye:

Yes you can, but only 2 days before the start of the month. Did you know if you get your car taxed at the Post Office on the 30th or 31st March you pay pre April Car Tax increase even if the tax is from the 1st April ;) Something to know for the future :thumbs:

I got my years tax starting 1/4/10 for £405 at the PO on the 25 March - guess I was lucky :wacko: