'Guns' now has spacers (Update May 2012)

Ebized

Couldn't resist the 20mm black spacers Andy of Kudos Automotive had acquired so with his help set about fitting them today.

First thing I wanted to sort out was seeing if we could use a 350 spacesaver - answer at: viewtopic.php?f=104&t=34295

Next I wanted to see the fitment with the 350 Nismo wheels I had kept and having done a previous test fit found that the offset at the front was great without the need for spacers but the rear definitely was in need, so here is the car so fitted:

P1060806.jpg

P1060807.jpg

P1060808.jpg

The one main drawback for me is that the front Nismos have 35 profile tyres whereas the 370 wheels are 40 profile. That is a good inch or more in rolling road diameter and therefore the wheel arch is not exactly filled. And before anyone says anything the car isn't going to be lowered, living in a part of the world where road humps are king :dry: So might be looking at a new set of tyres soon on the Nismos given the present Falkens on the rear are about half worn.

Then we set about fitting the 20mm spacers on the front and found a little hiccup. The standard studs are 25mm long and for some reason the cut-outs between the stud holes on the standard 370 GT wheels are not great enough to allow the wheel to sit snug on the spacer as the protruding 5mm stud length clashed - see pic where you can see the stud biting in just under the 19x9j 47 writing:

P1060812.jpg

Problem was resolved by a quick visit to Halfrauds for a set of 3mm shims with a piccy showing them in place:

P1060813.jpg

P1060814.jpg

So now I have a 23mm spacesr on the front :teeth:

At the rear there was no no issues as the wheel design easily allows for the protruding studs:

P1060815.jpg

A little drive round the block to settle everying down and make sure there was no rubbing etc and this is the result :D

P1060816.jpg

P1060817.jpg

P1060818.jpg

P1060819.jpg

Undecided at the moment whether to add another set of 3mm shims at the rear to match the front - watch this space. :lol:

What this exercise did reveal is that there is no way you can use 15mm spacers on the front without changing the hub studs to shorter versions if the standard wheel is going to fit. Having read on the US forums that 15mm were favoured I can only assume a stud change was necessary. But I also knew that up to 25mm would fit OK (especially if not lowered) and I think the 23mm at the front does give the car a really good aggresive look.

Very, very grateful to Andy's help today and have to say I am very pleased with the black spacers - they tie in nicely with the black calipers and with the black Nismo nuts when I use those wheels.

Update, May 2012:

After two years and some 13k miles and living with brake juddering that was not permanently resolved It was found the slips spacers had distorted and have been dumped and the 20mm spacers removed in favour 25 Eibachs

See here for more info: viewtopic.php?f=102&t=62092&p=891982#p891982

Looks great bud, also good to confirm what has been said on the US forums :thumbs:

Given the choice, would you change any of the spacers to a different F/R combo? 15mm/20mm? 20/25mm? 20/20mm? As you say in the US, 15/20mm seems to be the most popular and was the way I was thinking of going, but requires a stud change.

Looks great bud, also good to confirm what has been said on the US forums :thumbs:

Given the choice, would you change any of the spacers to a different F/R combo? 15mm/20mm? 20/25mm? 20/20mm? As you say in the US, 15/20mm seems to be the most popular and was the way I was thinking of going, but requires a stud change.

I was originally going down the 15mm/20mm road but when I saw Andy was getting the 20mm spacers that clinched it and knowing fitment should be OK. Really don't want to get into stud changing, hence the 3mm shims at the front, but I also have a set ready for the rear so may well end up with 23mm all round ;)

New wheels make the old Nismos look understated, still quite nice though. I'm quite wary of spacers from an engineering point of view, can you feel any difference in the steering?

All feels fine - but trying them around Wales over the next few days ;)

I used to worry about wheel bearing wear and stud shearing etc but the feedback I've seen on hee over the years suggests those fears are unfounded, as long as quality parts are used and ones Andy (Kudos) supplied have an excellent reputation.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
hi colin

just wondering what affect fitting spacers woud have with the manufactures warranty....any idea?

Unless they can prove they have caused the problems that you are trying to claim on warranty, then you will have no problems at all. Many members have run spacers on the 350z for years with no problems, it will be the same with the 370z. I will be getting some spacers as soon as funds allow :)

Got the exhaust direct from Stillen. I got it when they did the offer of buying the exhaust and getting the Gen3's for free, so its hard to say how much it was. It was about ~£1300 all in for all of it, but I got a good deal at the time. Definately well worth it, but there may be better deals these days. Just have to hunt around and see what offers they have on. Stillen are very helpful though, and delivery is quick. I think a few traders such as Chilli Red also get stuff from Stillen so may be able to do you a deal. Insurnance wise it didnt add anything as Admiral just add it on for free. They dont however insure mods like for like - but given the OEM bits cost more - thats fine by me :thumbs:

• 2 months later...