I think my Z's falling apart

3Fiddy

Hi there,

In the last few weeks a low warbling noise has developed on the rear drivers side of my 56 350. I've read about the clicking sound that is common but from what i can see the symptoms are different.

It's most noticeable when accelerating normally from 30 to 70mph especially while steering gently (like changing lanes) to the right. It goes away again if you straighten up, steer left or steer heavily in either direction. It sounds like the noise is consistent with a full rotation of the wheel, (speeds up when accelerating) and doesn't sound like breaks rubbing.

Could this be the clicking issue? I can't hear it at slow speeds or in reverse and its definitely more of a warble than a click. Damn i hate describing sounds :wacko:

I'm not sure if this is related but the rear driver side suspension spring has started to squeak when pulling onto curbs (slowly of course), getting in the drivers side or generally pushing on the arch to make the car bounce up and down. Does it need dismantling and greasing or is it new spring mounts?

Any advice much appreciated.

As others have said its probably a wheel bearing, it could also be a driveshaft, check the rubber boots on the CV joints in case they have split and the the joint is losing grease. I've had this before on another car and it made some strange old noises that took ages to identify the dry CV joint.

• 1 month later...

Thanks for the advice you were all spot on!

I took it to Nissan who detected a clicking noise from the rear drivers side hub. They replaced the whole hub, luckily it was a named part on the warranty so they picked up the £650 bill.

When i drove it the noise from the rear had gone, but there was still the vibration under steering consistent with the bearings failing and a louder clunking nose when driving over uneven or block paved road.

So, I took it back to Nissan and their head technician drove it with me in the car. We could both hear the noise but they were generally dismissive and wanted me to pay to investigate. I have a real problem with dealers charging for investigation time so i went elsewhere. :rant:

I took it to my local garage and within 1 min of driving it he said the drop link was probably worn and the bearings were shot. So back onto the warranty company who replaced the front hub but not the drop link so i paid the cheaper £88.

Now, although the bearing noise while steering has gone away there is still the loud clunking noise (right drivers) while driving over uneven road.

After replacing both drivers side hubs and a drop link what could it be, suspension? I'm going to give the garage one more chance to sort it. I'd appreciate any ideas; at this rate I'll have replaced the whole of the right hand side of the car.

Nice one.

• 2 months later...

Unfortunately the saga of the clunk continues. MartinMac i read through all of the clunk posts which were informative but I'm still struggling to locate the problem. Probably my basic knowledge of cars, sorry if i've missed something in the technical detail.

Digsy, the cars done 54k miles which i thought was about average for a 6 year old car.

So to update you on where i'm up to, i've fixed the rear clicking issue by replacing the rear DS hub. I've also replaced the front DS hub, drop link and now suspension strut but its still making the clunking nose going over uneven ground. It sounds like its coming from right underneath the accelerator pedal and you can hear a load banging/clunking/knocking noise when going over uneven ground. It sounds mechanical like two bits of metal banging together.

8 mechanics from two garages inc. Nissan have looked at it and everyone is completely stumped :bang: They all tell me that everything is tight there's no play in anything and all of the bushes are fine. I really don't know what to try next. If i knew more about cars and had the tools I'd take the whole front end apart and eye ball each part. I still suspect a partially worn bush which can't be detected without a full disassemble.

What do you think? I'd be willing to bring it to one of your guys who are familiar with dismantling the front end and would know what a slightly worn bush would look like.

In the spirit of clutching at straws i took the wheel off and looked at each of the joints for wear, pulled on all of the suspension arms and all i could find was that there seemed to be some missing plastic/rubber washers on the joints where the suspension meets the chasis. Please see following photo. Does this look right to you guys? the plastic/rubber washers look worn/missing to me. Could this be the cause of the clunk?

Any advice much appreciated.