Injured Animals

nixy

Last night my son found a young cat that had been hit by a car. It was in the middle of the road. He moved it to the side of the road, the poor thing was crying but purring at the same time when he went to help it. He came home to basically get me to help and to get our cat box. I phoned my vet on the out of hours emergency number and I'm sorry to say they were not very helpful. It was a case of if its not your cat and you're not going to cough up the out of hours emergency money etc then keep it overnight and bring it into the surgery tomorrow! Anway, when we went back to get the cat it had gone. We searched with torches and knocked on doors but couldn't find it. I left my phone number with an old man at one of only two houses near where it had been in case he saw it. I got a phone call this morning to say he had found it dead by his house and he was going to bury it. It was freezing last night and I guess it was under a bush somewhere suffering. Anyway the reason i'm posting is that I didn't really know what to do in the event of finding an injured animal like that in order to get prompt treatment. Turns out the RSPCA have a 24 hour phone line you can call and although they can't promise to be swift they will do all they can. The number is: 0300 1234 999 and I would urge you all to save that into your phone's incase you ever need it.

RSPCA 0300 1234 999

me and the missus saw a cat stuck high in a tree near warwick castle car park the other weekend at 12 ish it was still there when we got back to the car at 330 so we called the fire brigade they weren't interested, so we called RSPCA and they said they have to leave it 24 hrs? WTF ?

Nixy - Its nice to hear you son went to help. Most people would just pretend they didnt see it.

Poor Kittie, I hate to see cats by the side on the road, Someone will be missing them. I always try to help, hoping that if its my cat, someone would help them.

I had one of my kitties cremated last week, Cost me £170!!!

Unfortunately vets can charge what they like - if you need them, you need them!

Im just grateful i have horse insurance - my vet bill for 1 injury ( 1 of many last year) cost me nearly £4000!

You never see a poor vet!!!

That has brought back unhappy memories for me so really feel for the poor cat. Nice to hear that you were willing to do what you could Nic, though I know you would never let a cat suffer if you could help it. Unfortunately injured cats tend to go off and die in this way.

Good post nixy and very helpful :thumbs:

My big lab is coming up for 16 and we had to rush him to the vet 2 nights ago to find out what was wrong with him as he was crying in pain. Bloody theiving bast@rds vets are but zak (my dog) is worth every penny :thumbs:

Good post nixy and very helpful :thumbs:

My big lab is coming up for 16 and we had to rush him to the vet 2 nights ago to find out what was wrong with him as he was crying in pain. Bloody theiving bast@rds vets are but zak (my dog) is worth every penny :thumbs:

16... thats old for a lab. My springer spaniel died last year at 16... and his brother who belongs to my aunty died the same day, despite living 100 miles apart! We had them as puppies as we had their mum.

Make the most of him while he's still around.

:byebye:

For the Scottish Memebers

SSPCA number is 03000 999 999

0300 numbers are also included in mobile deals as free calls so it won't caost you anything to report something to either RSPCA or SSPCA.

:bang: How can anyone hit a domestic animal and not stop to sort it out?

Obviously quite easily. Had it happen to our Siamese and Burmese. Not even like they look like unloved, unhomed moggies either. Probably scared what the vets bills would be.

At least you and your son tried to help Nixy, that's the important thing. :)