Oil cooler and temperature gauge.

Wookiee22

I want to add an oil cooler as part of my Vortech build. Have been thinking of going with Mocal for this - like the fact they're a UK company and I reckon the thermostatic sandwich plate might be sensible in the European climate. Anyone had any experience with these? Anything else I should look at?

Would also like to keep an eye on things so an oil temp gauge will be going in. There seem to be a massive range of these I and I have to confess I don't know a great deal about them. Is it worth going high end? What's the best way to add a sensor?

Thanks for the assistance! :thumbs:

Give Merlin motorsport a call to sort the oil cooler - they supply both Mocal & Setrab :thumbs:

My defi oil temp gauge is plumbbed into a sandwich plate & have another space for my oil pressure gauge once it arrives :thumbs:

Sandwich plate was only about £40 from Adam

mocal oil coolers were fitted to all the 370z's that were used by nissan free race. seem like a good piece of kit.

drove one too :teeth:

Sounds promising then. They don't do a bespoke kit for the zed, as far as I could see. I've emailed them but haven't heard anything back yet. Can't imagine it would be too difficult to piece the bits together myself though.

Give Merlin motorsport a call to sort the oil cooler - they supply both Mocal & Setrab :thumbs:

My defi oil temp gauge is plumbbed into a sandwich plate & have another space for my oil pressure gauge once it arrives :thumbs:

Sandwich plate was only about £40 from Adam

Thanks for the tip!

Is it wise/possible to have more than one sandwich plate? As far as I can see there are no sensor ports on the mocal thermostatic one.

mocal oil coolers were fitted to all the 370z's that were used by nissan free race. seem like a good piece of kit.

drove one too :teeth:

Sounds promising then. They don't do a bespoke kit for the zed, as far as I could see. I've emailed them but haven't heard anything back yet. Can't imagine it would be too difficult to piece the bits together myself though.

If you speak to Mr Steve he has a Mocal on his.

Just wish my Nismo one was a mod you could see!! least I know its doing some good to the engine!!

http://www.z1auto.com/prodmore.asp?model=350z&cat=engine&prodid=4217

^^^ Thats what I meant by sandwich plate, it sits between the oil filter :)

I think Adam is also looking into putting an oil cooler kit together but I ended up going for the GTM oil cooler :)

Looks like a good bit of kit, but if I already have a sandwich plate for the cooler will I be able to use another for sensors?

would an oil cooler have much benefit on an N/A car?

Not unless you spend half your life on track IMO

Just wish my Nismo one was a mod you could see!! least I know its doing some good to the engine!!

Should have sold that me when you had the chance, you need the ARC one ;)

http://www.z1auto.com/prodmore.asp?model=350z&cat=engine&prodid=4217

^^^ Thats what I meant by sandwich plate, it sits between the oil filter :)

I think Adam is also looking into putting an oil cooler kit together but I ended up going for the GTM oil cooler :)

Looks like a good bit of kit, but if I already have a sandwich plate for the cooler will I be able to use another for sensors?

Are you using an oil pan spacer ot extended oil pan?

AAM oil pan spacer.

Doesn't that have ports ready for the sensors or am I thinking of another spacer? You could always just tap into it anyway :)

yeah theres a port. i have the same

Problem solved ;)

I don't think the one I'm getting does come with ports, but as you say, tapping shouldn't be a drama anyway. Good thinking! :thumbs:

As for gauges, Defi are obviously high end. They look awesome but would I really be missing out on much (aesthetics aside) by looking slightly lower in the market?

stri? HKS & Apexi make some nice ones aswell but not sure how much they are compared to Defi.

Is its just oil temp you are looking for or are you getting other gaugs aswell ?

Oil temp definitely. Imagine that oil pressure is pretty handy as well, will give me a good indication if a hose to the oil cooler has popped off if nothing else!

I have an AEM afr sensor inbound and will be recycling a (pretty budget) vac/boost gauge from an old Volvo project of mine to begin with.

I've only used the Defi stuff so can't comment on the quality of the other gauges. Defi stuff is really nice though, really easy installation aswell & IMO if you are running more than one gauge then Defi will be the best option. You need the control unit to run them but once that is installed then you don't need to wire anymore gauges in - just plug the sensor into the control unit & fit it into the location needed & then daisy chain the gauges :)

I've only used the Defi stuff so can't comment on the quality of the other gauges. Defi stuff is really nice though, really easy installation aswell & IMO if you are running more than one gauge then Defi will be the best option. You need the control unit to run them but once that is installed then you don't need to wire anymore gauges in - just plug the sensor into the control unit & fit it into the location needed & then daisy chain the gauges :)

Thanks for the pointer. Guess I'd better look into it further! :thumbs: