Car damged while with dealer - Advice?

Gervais

Car was at the dealers last week getting some things done under warranty (CV's replaced, new body control module as it was fried and radio looked at and new one ordered) Cannot fault them with any of those issues as they have agreed all will be covered.

My only Gripe is, I picked the car back up on saturday and in my hurry to get home I didnt have a look round it, plus it was dirty so nothing stood out :doh: When i got home i started washing it and noticed some scratches on the drivers door. You can see two at the top, another in the middle and another going verticle near the bottom left.

scratches.jpg

Not sure if it was caused by the dealers or by customers to the dealership having a look. Either way it was in their care so they're accountable i would have thought?

I phoned them up and the guy at the service desk has been very helpful so far, he gave me his mobile number and I sent him a few pics. Car is going back to get the radio changed once it comes In so they said they will have a look then.

Just wondering if anyone else has been in a similar situation and what the outcome was? Will they want to repair it or will they let me have it done where I want?

Any help is much appreciated,

Gervais

They should have a job sheet, which should detail any scratches, dents, chips etc before they started work. You should have a copy of this. If you do and they are not on there, the damage happened when it was there and they should pay to have it repaired :thumbs:

Thanks for that Chris, There was a job sheet, but I wasn't aware they put any thing like that on it, nor do I have a copy :( Will definately ask for that when I go back. Definately happened while they had it but I guess its proving it If they deny it, in which case that sheet would be vital :doh:

Hi Mate

Sorry to hear this, when she goes to any garage i look around her b4 i leave and also take a note of the mileage, ive been taken for a ride once before. When i was picking up my previous Rx-8 from mazda delaership after getting a new wheel, there was oily footprints inside the car and on the back seat, dont want to know what he was doing on it lol, I kicked up a stink and they did a gold standard valet service on her for free,

D :boxing:

If this gets serious it may be worth claiming on your insurance policy - some insurances cover with 0 excess while the car is in the custody of a garage/someone in the motor trade. Check with your insurance company if the dealer doesn't make good.

The job sheet thing won't really count as they could easily say well it happened after you drove it off the forecourt etc. If it was pointed out beforehand then yes but not afterwards. It's like you leaving a shop then going back in the next day and saying you gave me the wrong change.

Hopefully your dealer will be nice and offer to do it as an offer of good will. At a guess tho (never been in the situation myself) they'd want to do it themselves as that way it's only material cost and an employee's time (or a discounted rate from their bodyshop), not an actual bill from a different bodyshop

Sorry to hear you car has a few war wounds. For these reasons i try to avoid the dealers.

Not much help for you but a story anyway.

A guy local to me put his Z into the dealer for some work and they scratched a few panels. They were quite bad and unable to be removed so they offered him a daft deal on a new 370Z as compensation. He's now driving the 370z but i bet it wont be goint to the dealers anytime soon!

Hope they look after you, Its a real shame we cant trust them with our cars.

Just be nice to them. A bit of a laugh and a joke with whoever you're dealing with will go a long way towards them helping you out, whilst getting stroppy and demanding will result in them (quite rightly legally) turning you away and ignoring the complaint.

I had this happen with my old vectra company car when in for service. Again not looking round before I drove off, because I didnt really care about it. I pulled up to my work and noticed a large scrape/dent above the rear wheel arch, I know for a fact that it wasnt there on the morning when i dropped it off. Looked like it had been reversed and scraped a metal bollard of some description.

Anyhow I called up the Vauxhall dealership litterally half hour after i picked it up and they denied all knowledge and said it was there when i dropped it off! I called my fleet people and there was nothing they could do about it.

Its your word against theres mate, lets just hope they are more helpfull than Vauxhall. So be as nice as pie to them.

Matty - I'll run my fingers through their hair if it means they fix it :lol:

Bronzee - Yeah i could probably get most of it out, not going to touch it for now though. The dirt has covered them up again now so I'm not noticing them at the moment :lol:

Matty - I'll run my fingers through their hair if it means they fix it :lol:

Bronzee - Yeah i could probably get most of it out, not going to touch it for now though. The dirt has covered them up again now so I'm not noticing them at the moment :lol:

:lol::lol::lol:

• 3 weeks later...

Have an update - the aftersales manager has agreed to repair the damage. they are going to see if they can get the scratches out (think a couple of them maybe too deep for this though) failing that it will go into the body shop at no expense to myself. Happy days!

:dance: