How an engine works

Husky

Just thought this would be interesting to those non engineering types who have never seen an engine in bits or in CAD. Also its interesting to us sad engineer types.

and if you ever wondered how utterly bonkers a W16 like in the veyron is, imo this is way off the layout but does show the number of pistons and the wacky amount of movement.

heres a rotary engine like mazda's:

heres a radial engine if you want to know how it works

hope thats of interest :thumbs:

Good find and a great insight for us non-engineer types!

I knew how a standard engine worked, but always wondered about the rotary engine (Wankel), as I nearly bought an RX8, but decided in the 350 instead.

It amazes me that the internal combustion engine is 100 odd years old, and we are still using it!

Good find and a great insight for us non-engineer types!

I knew how a standard engine worked, but always wondered about the rotary engine (Wankel), as I nearly bought an RX8, but decided in the 350 instead.

It amazes me that the internal combustion engine is 100 odd years old, and we are still using it!

it is crazy as every other part, from the chassis to the fuel injection system, has gone through a complete change to something totally different to what was used 100 years ago when the heart of the car has stayed the same. If you google the quasiturbine engine you will find something that has been designed by a group of engineers that wiped the drawing board totally clean and designed a unique and extremely robust engine from scratch.

from what I can see - it is still internal combustion though? http://www.howstuffworks.com/quasiturbine.htm

I really thought that will our current technology, we would have moved away from that after 100 years

but its far far more efficient and can run clean i believe via photo-detonation, also it can run on a much larger range of fuels as it can achieve a higher pressure which allows less volatile mixtures to burn.

correct me if im wrong as thats from memory. :blush:

what do you mean by move away from internal combustion? you mean electric? we are so hung up on the internal combustion engine because theres so much industry supported by the demand for oil to run it.

from what I can see - it is still internal combustion though? http://www.howstuffworks.com/quasiturbine.htm

I really thought that will our current technology, we would have moved away from that after 100 years

but its far far more efficient and can run clean i believe via photo-detonation, also it can run on a much larger range of fuels as it can achieve a higher pressure which allows less volatile mixtures to burn.

correct me if im wrong as thats from memory. :blush:

what do you mean by move away from internal combustion? you mean electric? we are so hung up on the internal combustion engine because theres so much industry supported by the demand for oil to run it.

I think the big oil companies are preventing/blocking development of other technologies because they will lose money. There are lots of other technologies that could filter down to the humble car owner such as cold fusion etc.

Apparently there is enough energy in a tea-spoon of water to meet the energy requirement of a small city for a week using fusion/fision technology.

• 11 months later...

There is a vested interest in continuing our reliance on hydrocarbon fuels DESPITE what the government (run by banks and corporations )tell you.

They entertain methods of energy that are ludicrously unfeasible to replace hydrocarbon fuels (cough...windpower...cough) but you can guarantee that any valid challengers on hydrocarbon fuels will be quashed one way or another.

It's very similar to their double standard attitude of inciting race hatred whilst telling you it's wrong to be racist.

The only way we'll end this endless loop is by not re-electing these banks and corporations to run our governments. And the only way to do that is to look beyond the three main political parties that have been bought and paid for in the UK, and beyond the Republicans and Democrats which are compromised in the USA.

Sorry to bring politics into it but basically, that's how it is.

And we'll get cheaper road tax instead of being conned by the carbon emissions bollox!

• 5 months later...

Great Videos's Husky.

I've seen the first one as a screen saver before, pretty cool.

Must admit, never seen the radial one before, pretty clever.

Aren't the rotary ones prone to wear on the seal points?

And use a lot of oil? Not that I'd want an RX8 over my Z.

I think that Hydrogen will probably take off in teh near future, the Honda? james May tested on Top Gear a deason or two back seemed pretty good and the only emmission was water!

I've also seen in on of 'The Engineer' magazinge a while badsk an engine that ran at aptimum rev's the whole time, for best power and fuel consumption. Rather than changing the enging sppe to change the car speed a special coupling was used (Possibly viscous, but my menory is poor) to increase/reduce the amout of load going to the drive shaft.

I bet it is sureal, you would be experction the engine to increase it rev's, noise etc as you bury you foot and accelerate.

But it just remains the same, as you pick up speed.

I guess it would as disapointing as driving an electric sports car, induction roar, exhaust note make a car a lot more enjoyeble to drive!! :drive1