My damp day at Bedford - a few pictures

ZedJohn

After a mini service last week courtesy of CS I had my third visit to Beford Autodrome. I was one of two Zeds (didn't speak to the guy), the ClioSport, BMW & Porsche forums must have had a gathering as there were loads there along with a couple of Nobles, Caterhams and a scattering of Elises. The track was wet/greasy most of the day, which only added to the fun / satisfaction of getting around in one peice - had one spin due to cold tyres. Just after lunch the sun came for a couple of hours to dry the track out, then the heavens opened again.

How about a few more Zeds at the next one?

The day cost me £99, plus £20 for the helmet hire (dick turpin used to wear a mask...). I got through nearly two tanks of fuel and the fuel economy went into single digits. I left with the smug feeling that the Zed got me there and back (160 mile round trip) with no problems. Even the Bridgestones survived their third track day and still have life in them - although looking a bit tatty and on the low side - being changed next weekend.

Bedford270210001.jpg

Bedford270210003.jpg

Bedford270210006.jpg

Bedford270210009.jpg

Bedford270210015.jpg

Bedford270210025.jpg

Bedford270210031.jpg

Bedford270210032.jpg

John

John, was Matt the passenger… :thumbs:

Mitz - yes he was, he was supposed to be coming the MR2 Turbo, but he still hasn't got it fixed after he blew the 120amp fuse. It's currently somewhere in Willenhall - we're having a sweepstake at work whether he'll ever see it again :dry:

Looks good - definitely should have a 350z-uk day there :thumbs:

Ebized - it would be great, there were 8-10 Clios there, countless Porsches & BMWs, can you & the mods add some weight to the next proposed meet there? As Chris rightly points out, it's a great track for all, so many run off areas and no armco to hit if you do spin off.

Here's the first YouTube vid I found showing the layout/openness of the circuit. You'll be able to hit about 130mp/h on the long straight (about 1.50 in)

how did the brembos fare on track?

They were absolutley spot on this time

On my first day at Bedford, I was suffered monumental brake fade, towards the end of the morning session I careered through a corner with naff all braking power, it was like my brakes had been cut off. :scare:

After some advice from the guys on here I paid a visit to Mitz @ CS, he fitted new lines, some DS2500 pads and 5.1 fluid. They transformed the braking, hardly noticeable on the road but on the track it was something else. I'm now able to brake much later, which was the only way to beat the Z4Ms and Elises. There were cars there that had considerable amounts spent on the brakes and the couldn't come close to the Brembos with a modest upgrade. Made me feel very lucky to be able to own such a car and enjoy it on a track.

:drive1

By the end of the session there was hardly any sign of fade. The pads just lasted their second session yesterday (with a couple of thou road miles on them too) and will be replaced like for like next week.

Are you thinking of having a go?

Looks like a great day at the track, fantastic pics. You're co-pilot looks a little distracted though.

He was gutted as he didn't have his MR2 Turbo fixed in time and had to give his place away! I wouldn't have fancied being a passenger all day. I did offer a go in mine but he didn't want to risk anything.