Brake Problem (Pic Included)

jc0r

Hi there, a while ago i changed my pads to EBC YellowStuff front and rear as Nissan Westway told me they needed doing while my car was in for a P1. After breaking the pads in i never really noticed they were any better than the OEM pads but i didnt mind as they were cheaper than buying off Nissan. I wouldsay they are very very dusty though, a lot more so than the OEM pads i had before.

Its been about 4 months now though and although hard to remember i definitely feel like the brakes are softer, dont have enough bite on them. I've started to think it may be the discs although i was told there was life in them. Not been overly mechanically minded i would say there is a 2mm lip on the discs with the inside been more worn than the outer. Also i noticed some marking on the disc and wondered if this was normal? At first i thought i was just brake dust that will easily come off. after cleaning the car, it didnt move. I sprayed some Brake Disc Cleaner, still nothing. I took the car for a spin and put the handbrake half on to try and burn it off, still there! This only happens on my rear discs not the fronts. Its both sides and there are at least 6 spots where it occurs. Could it be time for new discs? I have to do something about my stopping power cuz its just not biting strong enough, reminds me of my old ST220's brakes! :scare:

If it is time to get new discs can anyone suggest a really good set of discs n pads that beats Nissans £900 :s

dsc00827b.jpg

Hi there, a while ago i changed my pads to EBC YellowStuff front and rear as Nissan Westway told me they needed doing while my car was in for a P1. After breaking the pads in i never really noticed they were any better than the OEM pads but i didnt mind as they were cheaper than buying off Nissan. I wouldsay they are very very dusty though, a lot more so than the OEM pads i had before.

Its been about 4 months now though and although hard to remember i definitely feel like the brakes are softer, dont have enough bite on them. I've started to think it may be the discs although i was told there was life in them. Not been overly mechanically minded i would say there is a 2mm lip on the discs with the inside been more worn than the outer. Also i noticed some marking on the disc and wondered if this was normal? At first i thought i was just brake dust that will easily come off. after cleaning the car, it didnt move. I sprayed some Brake Disc Cleaner, still nothing. I took the car for a spin and put the handbrake half on to try and burn it off, still there! This only happens on my rear discs not the fronts. Its both sides and there are at least 6 spots where it occurs. Could it be time for new discs? I have to do something about my stopping power cuz its just not biting strong enough, reminds me of my old ST220's brakes! :scare:

If it is time to get new discs can anyone suggest a really good set of discs n pads that beats Nissans £900 :s

dsc00827b.jpg

I have the cure for this mate :thumbs:

PM on its way.

Alex.

Thanks for the info on handbrake! Feel like a complete prat now, didnt know that lol. As for sitting on the brakes, not really. My boy racer days a in the past, i take it easy on the car in general tbh and the amount of spots where this occurs on the rear discs i would have to be doing it all the time. The only thing i can think is i have to have my handbrake on fairly strong as my driveway is rather inclined, but you say thats on the drum? But like i say, i dont give my brakes a hard time at all.

I have the cure for this mate :thumbs:

PM on its way.

Alex.

do tell!! :thumbs::p

• 3 weeks later...

Looks to me like the brake pad friction materail has transfered to the disk face after hard braking...if it was mine I would strip the pads out and check the friction material, deglazed the disk face and then try bedding them in again...

Worth a try before buying all new brakes

Alex

I have the same brakes and the same problem. My brakes have no feel and don't seem to have any bite just like you described. I would be very interested to hear if the suggestions work as i'm thinking about just putting on new pads all round as the wether gets better but this may save me a few pounds.

I deffinatly won't be buying EBC again though :thumbdown:

Chris