We're having a crime anti-spree

MacW

Got pulled by the rozzers twice on the way home tonight. Overtook a learner driver doing 25 in a 40 limit the first time, probably hit about 55 as I went past him and immediately dropped back to 40ish once I was past. Didn't realise it was a copper behind me at the time but they did wait until I got to the roundabout then just had a chat through car windows, suggested I maybe should have waited until I was completely off the corner before overtaking in future. Could see over a 1/4 mile down the road as I overtook and there was nothing on the other side.

Went round the roundabout and some daft cow in a ka made me slam on the breaks and bury my hand in the horn as she just pulled out in front of me, then proceeded to drive in front of me at under 30 in a 40 for the next mile or 2 until we got to a hill. The hill is only about 300m but pretty steep so has 2 lanes so you can overtake the slow people. But oh no... she slows down to under 20 and stays in the outside lane so I did the reasonable thing and blasted past her at about 45 on the inside. Again there was a copper behind me (again I had no idea), this time the blue lights came on and they pulled me. Thankfully it was a different pair of cops. They started going on about overtaking on the inside and didn't seem very impressed when I pointed out that the highway code states you can overtake on the inside when the outside lane traffic is travelling at under the speed limit and did the usual blustering before 'letting me off' with a warning.

Must have been a really slow evening for proper crime.

Technically it's legal, although as rtb says I suspect if you were to weave across lanes at exactly the speed limit but overtaking all the slow people the cops would find something illegal in what you're doing.

And probably rightly so.

i do it, but if a cop wants to argue the point i'd back down over it,

i'd rather have a telling off by a copper, than push them to the point where they issue a ticket.

i teach my kids this all the time.

take the bollocking, say sorry and get off lightly. arguing only ever makes it worse :lol:

right lane hogger do my tits in tho!! if u have to undertake the person u are undertaking is at fault cos they should be in the left lane

if they obeyed the rules we wouldnt have to undertake so i hereby rule undertaking legal

The misdemeanour was committed by the driver you passed on the inside on my planet ........... she was driving without due care and attention :boxing: either that or she was driving dangerously if she deliberately blocked the outer lane to prevent you progressing normally

i avoiud it as much as possible, as people don't tend to check their left hand side as much as they do the right. they don't expect someone on their inside to come past, your more likely to have an accident.

police look at it as your at fault. :shrug:

theoritcally they should pull the lane hogger

right lane hogger do my tits in tho!! if u have to undertake the person u are undertaking is at fault cos they should be in the left lane

if they obeyed the rules we wouldnt have to undertake so i hereby rule undertaking legal

Write properly now Irfan! :lol:

I think the lesson we all need to learn here is look in our mirrors for police! :lol:

So frustrating lane hoggers. If i have to undertake somebody, i make sure they have seen me behind first, and then in their left hand mirror before blasting past as quickly as possible - as you know if they decide to move they wont check their blind spot :wacko:

As from a police officer friend,

Undertaking is legal, may be a slight grey area depended on the officer you deal with.

Their is no exact law on "undertaking" as above it is just the act of overtaking slower moving traffic. Similar to filtering on the motorbike.

Be wary though, as above also stated. If you were to weave in and out of the traffic then you are more likely to be booked for dangerous driving, or driving without due care.

It is all in the way you do it! be sensible, and you'll be fine. do it like a tit and be wary of the blue lights.