Is this legal!!

shieldsie

I received a letter today from council regarding a parking fine, that I didnt pay, allegedly :angry:

The parking ticket was supposedly given to me on 26th December (boxing day) for been parked in unloading bay area without unloading.

I was parked in the named area on boxing day, admittedly, but I thought parking in a unloading area was exempt on a bank holiday (like you dont pay and display on bank holidays) Someone must have removed the parking ticket at some point before I moved the car?? The fine would have been £35 but because I didnt pay (how could I not knowing) its now £75 :bang: Regardless, I still think I`m allowed to park in this area on boxing day :boxing: If I`m wrong I`m wrong :bangin: Anyone have any advice on this?

Not 100% but if the Council let people pay the original fine if their excuse was "someone must have taken the ticket before I saw it" then everybody would say that. I think you gotta pay the biggie

Your lucky - I got 2 fines in Italy in 2008 and because i argued it (and lost) ended up paying over £300 16 months later :rant::rant:

Not 100% but if the Council let people pay the original fine if their excuse was "someone must have taken the ticket before I saw it" then everybody would say that. I think you gotta pay the biggie

Your lucky - I got 2 fines in Italy in 2008 and because i argued it (and lost) ended up paying over £300 16 months later :rant::rant:

Jeeze unless you are an italia resident i wouldnt have bothered, doubt they would chase you down. (Although i could be wrong)

i think they would chase you down, some much of it can be done by computer to the point where bailiffs are required. Then the fines starts getting really big.

If the loading bay wasn't clearly displayed due to heavy snow on the road, you may have a way out ;)

There should be a sign explaining the conditions of the loading bay or check it out on the net if there is general ruling for loading areas. The traffic warden will also taking pictures of the car in the area with and wiuthout the ticket on for legal proof.

Do they have an option for you to see a photo of the car with the PCN (penalty charge notice) attached?

Either way, you may have a chance.

This forum http://www.pepipoo.com/ Is an absolute goldmine of useful information about blagging parking tickets and speeding tickets. They'll also be straight up about when it's best to hold up your hands and cough up as well.

Had the same problem and to be honest, it was easier to just bite the bullet and pay the 70 quid, mostly because i couldnt be bothered with the hassle of arguing it, but also incase it caused me hassle with my credit and debt recovery folk :wacko:

I don't know if it's related, but many people have a video monitoring system for issuing parking fines nowadays, not physical people / tickets.

A mate of mine recently got a fine through the post from come company monitoring B&Q car park, saying they have photographic proof of his car being illegally parked in the B&Q car park overnight i.e. between the hours of xxPM and xxAM the following day.

In actual fact he'd been that night, bought something shoddy and took it back the next morning. No ticket was placed on his window or anything, literally got a letter through the post a week or two later!

It might be they clocked you either from a distance and took a picture, or using video monitoring.

Cheeky barstewards :angry:

Jeeze unless you are an italia resident i wouldnt have bothered, doubt they would chase you down. (Although i could be wrong)

That's the point! They did chase me down. Offences took place July '08 and Europcar asked me for £90 in December '08. I paid this to Europcar but then I got a summons (complete with red seals etc.) all the way from Italy in Novmber '09. The £90 I paid Europcar in Dec '08 was £45 admin charge per offence TO TELL THE ITALIAN AUTHORITIES WHERE I LIVED!! NOT TO PAY THE FINE. EUROPCAR OMITTED TO TELL ME THIS ON THEIR INVOICE. I thought I was paying the fines, not giving Europcar £90 to grass me up :scare: The Italian courts then had 12 months to summons me for the original fines and they did this in month 11. Total was £300 - £90 to Europcar and about £210 to Mr Italian judge for 2 x fines plus late payment charges.

Still, their Punto will never be the same after what I did to it. :teeth:

I don't know if it's related, but many people have a video monitoring system for issuing parking fines nowadays, not physical people / tickets.

A mate of mine recently got a fine through the post from come company monitoring B&Q car park, saying they have photographic proof of his car being illegally parked in the B&Q car park overnight i.e. between the hours of xxPM and xxAM the following day.

In actual fact he'd been that night, bought something shoddy and took it back the next morning. No ticket was placed on his window or anything, literally got a letter through the post a week or two later!

It might be they clocked you either from a distance and took a picture, or using video monitoring.

Cheeky barstewards :angry:

If it's a B&Q carpark, it'll be a privately run firm. G24, NCP, EuroCar parks etc etc.

Which means your mate doesn't need to pay it. They can't do anything. If it's not too late, tell him to do nothing. Ignore the scary letters and they go away. Simply put. They don't have the right to issue a penalty charge, don't have the right to charge the keeper, and as they are not governmental, you're not obliged to give them any information either without a court order. Which they can't get because they aren't government body etc...