The problems with our legal system - UPDATE

Emperor Ming

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Would a gun help, Ming (the Tooled-up)?

it'd definitely cut down on the rate of youth giving cheek to policemen... never ever seen or heard of an Italian teenager answer back to or swear at a policeman like Ming told us a while back

The police are powerless in Rome. The motorbikes just do what they want. Even ride down the paths :scare:

yeah as priorities are elsewhwere, very rarely you see speed cameras or silly fines given out (although it does happen there too).

I have to say that there's many different Police Corps in Italy (still all of them carry guns/semiautomatics) but most are focused on high priority crimes, not just revenue vs motorists (although apparently they seem to be catching up with this awful trend, started here :dry: )

it'd definitely cut down on the rate of youth giving cheek to policemen... never ever seen or heard of an Italian teenager answer back to or swear at a policeman like Ming told us a while back

Presumably you can't shoot youths for giving you cheek though! :p

If you can I'm moving!!! :thumbs:

I dont know if any of you saw a series on a Sky channel called Costa Del Sol Street Crime (or something like that :blush: )

The cops on there took no @*!# of any one ! they werent long in giving out a good smack to any one in their face, on camera to :thumbs:

I dont know if any of you saw a series on a Sky channel called Costa Del Sol Street Crime (or something like that :blush: )

The cops on there took no @*!# of any one ! they werent long in giving out a good smack to any one in their face, on camera to :thumbs:

the Spanish think like us then B):thumbs:

My biggest problem is the fact that people who commit fairly serious crimes get put away for "life" and are back on the street less than 15 years later.

The way that soo many get out serving not even 3/4 of thier sentance makes a mockery of the system. If you are put away for 10 years you stay away for 10 years. If you are put away for 25 years you stay away for 25 years. OK maybe let them out a few months early if they are fine but otherwise let them do the time they did the crime.

If the jails are full build more - keeping the on the street does not solve the problem in any way - lots will say oh that will cost too much - well make them work for god sake. Every other person in the world has to work day in day out to eat drink etc. There are many many jobs that could be done by someone thats locked up. How they would should be a factor of their early release. Don't work you don't get out early. Then when they do get out at least they have been doing something decent rather than back to crime

Yup yup and more Yup.

A sentence should be that a sentence. Not a parody of justice. A year should be a year. Behave and you are out on time. Missbehave and obviously you haven't learnt so do a little more time.

The government likes to say it is tough on crime/drugs/violence/rape etc so they give out whopping great sentences and gets lots and lots of good press and then when the hubub has died down the actual figure is rolled out. 4 years = 2 (1/2 off automatically)

the remaining 2 years can = 1 year inside and 1 year on tag :wacko: Add home leave and stuff and they hardly seem to be inside before they are back bleedin out!

Short term we would need more jails as the new sentences would mean more folk going to jail and more folk staying in jail but a lot of those that regularly go back would STILL BE INSIDE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Not only that but those that get out WOULDN'T WANT TO GO BACK.. A few years down the line and we would have half empty jails cos the buggers would be learning.

The extra money saved not spent on the effects of crime - as the worst offenders are still in jail - could offset the cost of the prisons and they turn out ot be free!!

Work.. I agree 100%. We all work long and hard and pay all our taxes etc. The great unwashed need to understand the work ethic. You want something, ANYTHING work for it!!

Chain gangs in suits with arrows on them cleaning up motorways, old ladies gardens, drug dens, streets, sewers anyhting. Get em out and get em at it. No work no play.

Rob

When I am in power you are on my team mate.

Ming the Fantasy Prime Minister

Guns dont make a difference. (I'll come to that later) Its punishment that makes a difference.

How do you stop a dog @*!#*ing on the carpet. You clout it and rub its nose in it. the dog DOESN'T LIKE THIS.. Do it twice and the dog stops @*!#*ing on the carpet.

Take it for a walk, give it a chew, talk nicely to it, and get it a doggy social worker thereby allowing it to sh*t on the carpet for six months and it will sh*t on your carpet forever!!

Guns.

There are already armed police on duty in every city and most towns in the country. If people tell you otherwise they are lying.

I police with my brain my mouth and my hands. Lastly and only as a real last resort do I use baton, gas and extreme violence. ;)

I have never been in a situation where I felt I needed a gun and I have been policing nearly 30 years (I did 3 years in Northern Ireland and we had to carry one there but that doesn't really count) Whilst in my present town i have been shot at twice - both times with an air rifle and both times narrowly missing my head.

Guns will make no difference what so ever to crime or crime rates. All it will do is make the determined, desperate criminal even more likely to carry a gun himself.

Ming the fantasy Prime Minsiter

Over there it is an offence to insult or demean a police officer which is taken VERY seriously. hence the decent back handers and kicks up the ars*.

Over here we have banned smacking, banned any sort of punishment in school so what chance do the boys and girls in blue have. A whole generation with no respect for anything and the child line telephone number tattooed on their hand at birth.

HELP

Over there it is an offence to insult or demean a police officer which is taken VERY seriously. hence the decent back handers and kicks up the ars*.

Over here we have banned smacking, banned any sort of punishment in school so what chance do the boys and girls in blue have. A whole generation with no respect for anything and the child line telephone number tattooed on their hand at birth.

HELP

Here, here! :thumbs:

Come on then Ming ....who have we got to vote in to stop all this crap going down...? or is it too late and we'd all better scoot of to somewhere else??

Politics is not my pidgeon to be honest and after a while, in my opinion, they are all the bleedin' same.

You know what they say "Power corrupts". Never truer than in politics in my opinion. they do anything to stay in power.

What we need is a party who REALLY intend to deal with the problems of law and disorder and not just pay it lip service.

Jail should mean JAIL.

The sentence should be what you serve. Nowadays any sentence under 3 years means they serve about a quarter and spend another quarter on 'tag'. think about it this way. Six months means six WEEKS.

If someone burgles your house they go to JAIL. And they STAY in jail. For a long long time. that way they don't burgle OTHER PEOPLES HOUSES. I personally don't care if Jail does not re habilitate criminals. I just care that whilst they are in Jail they are not committing more offences. Jail should be a horrid place that people don't want to go back too. Any ex soldiers on here who ever went to Colchester Barracks will know what I mean. Proper Jail. Jail is only a deterent if it is not a nice place to be.

Our young offenders institute in doncaster is known locally as 'Funcaster' because it has alsorts of lovely things that our poor misunderstood youth don't get at home. I know of kids who cant wait TO GO BACK!!!!!!!!!!!

Ming on his high horse

I was proof reading a document the other day in respect to anti social behavior... It went on about taking anti social kids on days out bowling etc.. Completely unbelievable... do something wrong and get a treat... :wacko: not exactly the way I was brought up :scare: I was tempted to change the document to state that they will be publicly flogged, and see how long it took for any bugger to notice. :teeth:

I agree with Rob! in Italy life is life! and so it should be here, otherwise what's the point???

Does Italy have better crime figures as a result?

PS Just interested, I don't disagree! :)

not too sure, but what I know is that all Policemen carry guns, and before starting to mess with them, the criminals think twice :)

Also, if you are not intending to give out a life sentence, as you already know the guy will only serve XX years off it, what's the point in calling it a life sentence in the first place? :wacko:

I also saw on the news a while back that they have a lamborghini

http://www.italiaspeed.com/2004/cars/la ... lardo.html

As suggested in a previous post I am going to go 'open forum' or is that 'open season' on our legal system.

I will be prepared to answer any question as best I can, with a lot of cynicism, a fair chunk of humour and a pile of my own opinion, gained through being an officer of the law of one sort or another since 1977 (I know that makes me one old dude)

I stress the fact that it is my own opinion so don't go wandering into court saying " .... well Ming said .... " as it probably won't work. also what I say and get away with saying and doing in court and inside the 'system' I would not suggest that others try. I know the system. ;)

I only ask that :-

a. You dont ask me to comment SPECIFICALLY on a case

b. You dont make the posts PERSONAL

I will start off with a moan of my own.

Several days ago Iwas on duty in plain clothes in an unmarked car with another plain clothed officer driving down a narrow, double parked town street. We had to almost stop to avoid a collision with a tatty Sierra coming the other way. this car also almost stopped. The driver was only a matter of two or three foot from me and my colleague and our view was not obstructed in any way. I instantly recognised the driver as a know criminal with many convictions. the cars passed and as my mate turned our car round I check out the villain. sure enough he was disqualified. As we were in an unmarked car we lost him and allthough we passed his deatails over the air he failed to turn up. Two of my officers arrested him today and interviewed him. Of course he denied ever having been driving but agreed that both the officers knew him and would if asked pick him out on an identity parade.

The crown prosecution service decided initially that even though we had over 40 years unblemished police service between us there was 'little prospect of a prosecution'.

To say I spat the dummy out is a bit of an understatement.

My arguement was that if two officers is not enough then surely a double decker bus full followed by two Public Order Units would also be insufficient and if that is the case where do i hand in my Warrant Card and uniform. this was met with a ruffled feathers and an agreement that we would have to pick him out on an I/D parade 'but even then it wont make any difference'.

And people wonder why the boys and girls in blue get the hump from time to time.

Come on guys

Test the water and lets have a laugh

Ming the ready

I guess he has been interviewed but either refused to comment or told a pack of lies?

What is the role of the CPS? and who actually are they?? do they have legal qualifications?

Are they just reviewing the case against the CPS Code for Crown Prosecutors??

I would have thought that the scenario you described would pass both the evidential and public interest tests?? Are they saying the evidence not enough or that there isn’t a realistic chance of conviction (coz of the burden of proof)?

I guess it would have been better if you actually managed to stop this guy and actually arrest him while he was in possession of the vehicle.. I guess CPS are worried about the burden of proof. He could turn up to court and claim that it wasn’t him and he was home with family etc. Would this raise reasonable doubt?? You would think any magistrates would take the word of a police officer rather than some scum bag..

Like what has already been said, they are not bothered by a stretch in prison as they are most likely better off.... hmmm do I feel a career change coming on ;) Folk like this want their necks stretching.... get rid of them… would reduce the amount of scum in prison and make folk think twice about offending…

I dare say this guy will carry on driving whilst being disqualified.. eventually he will be caught in the act and wont be able to argue against it... then he will enter an early guilty plea and get 1/3 knocked off the sentence straight away :thumbdown: Just hope he doesn’t cause a fatal accident

Yeh they are cool though, and they don't half know it! I remember a couple of years ago sitting at a cafe on the main square in Sorrento watching as a Fiat Cinquecento stopped right in the middle as it went up in flames. The driver got out, opened the bonnet and a couple of taxi drivers tried to help him douse the flames with bottles of water - totally without effect. Then the local polis arrived and took charge, pushing everybody out of the way and wasting time checking out the situation before one of them ran into our cafe, grabbed a fire extinguisher from the kitchen, ran out again and put out the fire with a dramatic flourish. He then turned round and took a bow as all of the punters at all the cafes and bars around the square applauded! After returning the fire extinguisher, he carefully checked his shirt and tie and his hair before going back to his car. Free entertainment, or what? I love Italy. :thumbs:

Jim

I guess he has been interviewed but either refused to comment or told a pack of lies?

What is the role of the CPS? and who actually are they?? do they have legal qualifications?

Are they just reviewing the case against the CPS Code for Crown Prosecutors??

I would have thought that the scenario you described would pass both the evidential and public interest tests?? Are they saying the evidence not enough or that there isn’t a realistic chance of conviction (coz of the burden of proof)?

I guess it would have been better if you actually managed to stop this guy and actually arrest him while he was in possession of the vehicle.. I guess CPS are worried about the burden of proof. He could turn up to court and claim that it wasn’t him and he was home with family etc. Would this raise reasonable doubt?? You would think any magistrates would take the word of a police officer rather than some scum bag..

Like what has already been said, they are not bothered by a stretch in prison as they are most likely better off.... hmmm do I feel a career change coming on ;) Folk like this want their necks stretching.... get rid of them… would reduce the amount of scum in prison and make folk think twice about offending…

I dare say this guy will carry on driving whilst being disqualified.. eventually he will be caught in the act and wont be able to argue against it... then he will enter an early guilty plea and get 1/3 knocked off the sentence straight away :thumbdown: Just hope he doesn’t cause a fatal accident

The CPS are all fully trained lawyers working for the Crown Prosecution Service.. If you do something wrong and go to court they are the guys who prosecute you at court.

each case where there is a dispute is taken to them before the offender is charged for a decision to be made regarding

a whether to charge

b The most appropriate charge

The later is easy and 99 times out of 100 the officer already knows what he wants to charge.

The former has two tests applied.

Is there enough evidence to stand a REALISTIC proposition of a guilty at court

and is it in the public interest to charge

Courts now accept less and less the un corroborated evidence of a police officer. That was my whole point about how many officers are needed now before CPS say yes. I two is not enough how many do you need.

If we have to catch him doing it then take away the power to arrest afterwards. This then would result in more nasty car chases around our towns and cities whilst we try and 'arrest committing' the little SH*Ts.

The 'is it in thepublic interest BOLLOX is great. Itas a get out for any case that would otherwise go in the too difficult to do box. If we are likely to have a trial spend time at court etc etc they think 'well he will only get his ban extended so why bother and put it in this box.

Ming the disheartened

PS Got to go to work now to pick him out on an ID parade!!

LOL

One thing that really winds me up is that I often have clients coming to me after being in accidents with hit and run drivers. The police seem to have no interest in investigating the cases notwithstanding that these people are genuinely injured. Often the clients are advised that they can pursue a claim against the Motor Insurers Bureau who will make payments for the victims of untraced drivers, however, in most cases that is only injury compensation and the client will be left with a damaged or written off vehicle, storage and recovery charges etc. potentially running into several thousand pounds and no recompense.

I have had a couple recently where the third party vehicle details were recorded by an independent witness and the police have still closed their file without making further investigations. In 11 years handling road traffic accident claims I can only recall one occasion where the police located a hit and run driver.

I am sure there is a police side to this which I would be interested to hear so that I can explain it to clients who feel the system has let them down.

PS Ming, I hope you see this as a genuine question in the spirit of the thread. :)