The problems with our legal system - UPDATE

Emperor Ming

As suggested in a previous post I am going to go 'open forum' or is that 'open season' on our legal system.

I will be prepared to answer any question as best I can, with a lot of cynicism, a fair chunk of humour and a pile of my own opinion, gained through being an officer of the law of one sort or another since 1977 (I know that makes me one old dude)

I stress the fact that it is my own opinion so don't go wandering into court saying " .... well Ming said .... " as it probably won't work. also what I say and get away with saying and doing in court and inside the 'system' I would not suggest that others try. I know the system. ;)

I only ask that :-

a. You dont ask me to comment SPECIFICALLY on a case

b. You dont make the posts PERSONAL

I will start off with a moan of my own.

Several days ago Iwas on duty in plain clothes in an unmarked car with another plain clothed officer driving down a narrow, double parked town street. We had to almost stop to avoid a collision with a tatty Sierra coming the other way. this car also almost stopped. The driver was only a matter of two or three foot from me and my colleague and our view was not obstructed in any way. I instantly recognised the driver as a know criminal with many convictions. the cars passed and as my mate turned our car round I check out the villain. sure enough he was disqualified. As we were in an unmarked car we lost him and allthough we passed his deatails over the air he failed to turn up. Two of my officers arrested him today and interviewed him. Of course he denied ever having been driving but agreed that both the officers knew him and would if asked pick him out on an identity parade.

The crown prosecution service decided initially that even though we had over 40 years unblemished police service between us there was 'little prospect of a prosecution'.

To say I spat the dummy out is a bit of an understatement.

My arguement was that if two officers is not enough then surely a double decker bus full followed by two Public Order Units would also be insufficient and if that is the case where do i hand in my Warrant Card and uniform. this was met with a ruffled feathers and an agreement that we would have to pick him out on an I/D parade 'but even then it wont make any difference'.

And people wonder why the boys and girls in blue get the hump from time to time.

Come on guys

Test the water and lets have a laugh

Ming the ready

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've got to say that's a sad state of affairs considering how many years of implacable service/ experience both you officers have :thumbdown: So basically you saying that without any video evidence your statements count for jack @*!#??? Is this always the case???

Liam

If it was a 'serious' case involving either lots of money or a nasty assault then they would have us all at crown court and we might stand a chance

but

CPS work on percentage so if there is a chance that they could lose the case they will bin it early so that their percentage of successful prosecutions stays high.

My experience tells me that if we can get the thing into the legal system and on its way to court then 9 times out of 10 we get a guilty plea. Its getting the damn thing INTO the system that is so hard.

Have no fear I am quite well known locally both with the CPS and at court and I still feel reasonably hopeful that we can get it into the system. The annoying thing is I should not have to twist so many arms to get something in that should have gone in automatically.

I will update you all after the ID procedures on wednesday morning.

Oh I forgot to tell you, this guy is a prolific offender and a suspect for numerous pub breaks locally, as well as an habitual drug abuser, so is obviously of better character than the two officers who 'say' they saw him.

Ming the dischuffed.

Come on Ask me a Question.

So your going to an ID parade for someone who you already know committed the offence :lol:

Btw,,, still on topic

Listen to this....... My mates house got burgled the other day!!!! The cheeky bastard burglar then used the house phone to make a call :thumbdown: Got no answer and hung up..... Later on in the day the number he dialled called my mate back :lol: He's now awaiting jail :thumbs:

Come on then Ming ....who have we got to vote in to stop all this crap going down...? or is it too late and we'd all better scoot of to somewhere else??

Politics is not my pidgeon to be honest and after a while, in my opinion, they are all the bleedin' same.

You know what they say "Power corrupts". Never truer than in politics in my opinion. they do anything to stay in power.

What we need is a party who REALLY intend to deal with the problems of law and disorder and not just pay it lip service.

Jail should mean JAIL.

The sentence should be what you serve. Nowadays any sentence under 3 years means they serve about a quarter and spend another quarter on 'tag'. think about it this way. Six months means six WEEKS.

If someone burgles your house they go to JAIL. And they STAY in jail. For a long long time. that way they don't burgle OTHER PEOPLES HOUSES. I personally don't care if Jail does not re habilitate criminals. I just care that whilst they are in Jail they are not committing more offences. Jail should be a horrid place that people don't want to go back too. Any ex soldiers on here who ever went to Colchester Barracks will know what I mean. Proper Jail. Jail is only a deterent if it is not a nice place to be.

Our young offenders institute in doncaster is known locally as 'Funcaster' because it has alsorts of lovely things that our poor misunderstood youth don't get at home. I know of kids who cant wait TO GO BACK!!!!!!!!!!!

Ming on his high horse

So your going to an ID parade for someone who you already know committed the offence :lol:

Yup. Could pick him out from a cast of thousands

Btw,,, still on topic

Listen to this....... My mates house got burgled the other day!!!! The cheeky bastard burglar then used the house phone to make a call :thumbdown: Got no answer and hung up..... Later on in the day the number he dialled called my mate back :lol: He's now awaiting jail :thumbs:

Lucky we have stupid criminals as well so that CPS get a few convictions eh!!

Its real nice when they F**K up!! LOL :yahoo:

Ming the happy

Everyone I speak to shares this point of view so why the hell isnt someone listening to the vast majority, instead of being Politically Correct all the time.. Spend some money on jails and keep the scum in there for as long as possible :thumbs: That would be a vote winner

Everyone I speak to shares this point of view so why the hell isnt someone listening to the vast majority, instead of being Politically Correct all the time.. Spend some money on jails and keep the scum in there for as long as possible :thumbs: That would be a vote winner

One day someone with the right schooling and the proper back ground WILL stand up and say the right things and i am sure that they will get into power.

The trouble is our fine country is one of queue standers. It takes a massive amount of pushing before we fight back.When we do though ................................

Ming the Hopeful

One day someone with the right schooling and the proper back ground WILL stand up and say the right things and i am sure that they will get into power.

The trouble is our fine country is one of queue standers. It takes a massive amount of pushing before we fight back.When we do though ................................

Ming the Hopeful

Yep wishfull thinking Ming...I dont think were likely to see a backlash in our lifetime unfortunately.. BLOODY NICE IF we did though :)

Ming the Hopeful

Yep wishfull thinking Ming...I dont think were likely to see a backlash in our lifetime unfortunately.. BLOODY NICE IF we did though :)

Maybe in mine :p ..... You 2 are 60 at the end of the day :p

60 :scare: Cheeky sod.

Not even 50 yet. loads of life in the old dog yet.

Maybe when I retire (4 1/2 years to go now) I will run for parliament.

We could have the 'Ming for Law and Order' party.

A couple of my mates would be in charge of discipline and punishment and this country would be 'straightened up' in about six months

or

I would get asassinated :scare:

Ming the dreamer

Hold on,,, how old are you then??? Wish I could retire that early :)

Nearly forty-eight mate.thirty years in in four and half years time.Then off to pastures new!!!

Might go in to polishing cars for a living :D

ming the not so old

Nearly as old as me Dad :)

Hold on,,, how old are you then??? Wish I could retire that early :)

you only have to do 30 yrs service :)

That's why it's a Bobies job ;)

11% of every penny I earn goes towards my pension and has done so for evey day I have worked. Thats why I can afford to go after 30 years. :yahoo:

Anyway.

where are all the Shite Cop/CPS/Criminal Justice System/courts/prisons stories

and

Bleedin awkward questions.

Ming the off to Bed.

Ready for flack in the 'morrow

My biggest problem is the fact that people who commit fairly serious crimes get put away for "life" and are back on the street less than 15 years later.

The way that soo many get out serving not even 3/4 of thier sentance makes a mockery of the system. If you are put away for 10 years you stay away for 10 years. If you are put away for 25 years you stay away for 25 years. OK maybe let them out a few months early if they are fine but otherwise let them do the time they did the crime.

If the jails are full build more - keeping the on the street does not solve the problem in any way - lots will say oh that will cost too much - well make them work for god sake. Every other person in the world has to work day in day out to eat drink etc. There are many many jobs that could be done by someone thats locked up. How they would should be a factor of thier early release. Don't work you don't get out early. Then when they do get out at least they have been doing something decent rather than back to crime

I agree with Rob! in Italy life is life! and so it should be here, otherwise what's the point???

Does Italy have better crime figures as a result?

PS Just interested, I don't disagree! :)

not too sure, but what I know is that all Policemen carry guns, and before starting to mess with them, the criminals think twice :)

Also, if you are not intending to give out a life sentence, as you already know the guy will only serve XX years off it, what's the point in calling it a life sentence in the first place? :wacko: