Awesome trackday at Bedford Autodrome today *PICS*

rawbhp

Just got back from a superb day at Bedford. The weather was ace with blue skies nearly all day although it was freezing! B) There were 4 or 5 other zeds there including a track car- anyone on here? For anyone that is thinking of doing a track day, Bedford is superb. Loads of run off on almost every corner, a good surface and a long and interesting track (we did the full GT circuit).

I have a done a few track days and this was easily the best organised too. When arrived at 8.15 and were noise tested on the way in, with the Z managing just 79dB! (standard exhaust). Signing on was easy and there was no waiting, and the briefing was quick and on time. Wrist bands were given out during it rather than in a queue at the end-a great idea. I also got the day for £89 as I booked early. :thumbs:

The start was delayed due to the low temp and frost on the circuit but we got going by half ten and because it was open pit lane we could go out when we wanted but were doing roughly 20 min sessions then having a rest for 10-20 mins. I reckon we managed about six or seven sessions in the day, with an hour for lunch. Because there are no gravel traps etc there were no delays whilst people were recovered either.

A quality day- I'll definitely be going back, hopefully in the wet so I can get used to drifting the car. :teeth:

Oh, and at lunch we stopped at the Shell garage down the road. I noticed a brand new pimped up BMW X5 parked by the entrance, with dark windows, huge black alloys and all the trimmings. I jokingly asked the guy behind the counter if it was his and he said yes! :blush: He then went on to explain that he also owns a 911 Turbo, and is thinking of chopping it in for an R8 V10!! By this stage I was pretty sure that he must own the petrol station and several others (I don't think he was making it up). He also said the Evo guys always come in for fuel when they are road testing at Bedford, and that he gets some very interesting metal coming through the pumps. He finished off by saying that they come in so often he knows them all personally. Great guy! :thumbs:

Pics below...

Rich

Looks good - can you give us a summary of how the day panned out - time there, number of laps etc - I could be tempted to join you next time ;)

You'd love it Col. If its the same as the one I did with Ben in his Evo, its open pit lane with all sorts of exotic and not so exotic cars. The format for his day was turn up at 8am for briefing, move out to the pitlane for it opening at 9am. From then out til lunch you just join the queue and get out on track as and when you want, usually we did 4-5 laps + cooldown lap, then back into the pit for say 15-30mins before heading back out. Same format after lunch until 4-4:30pm. Its a great day and the good thing with Bedford is there are no barriers to hit, loads of run off, and its a pretty interesting track, full GT being the best for the Zed.

Its actually on that day I decided I wanted a Zed after seeing and hearing a couple around the track :cloud9:

Just got back from a superb day at Bedford. The weather was ace with blue skies nearly all day although it was freezing! B) There were 4 or 5 other zeds there including a track car- anyone on here? For anyone that is thinking of doing a track day, Bedford is superb. Loads of run off on almost every corner, a good surface and a long and interesting track (we did the full GT circuit).

I have a done a few track days and this was easily the best organised too. When arrived at 8.15 and were noise tested on the way in, with the Z managing just 79dB! (standard exhaust). Signing on was easy and there was no waiting, and the briefing was quick and on time. Wrist bands were given out during it rather than in a queue at the end-a great idea.

The start was delayed due to the low temp and frost on the circuit but we got going by half ten and because it was open pit lane we could go out when we wanted but were doing roughly 20 min sessions then having a rest for 10-20 mins. I reckon we managed about six or seven sessions in the day, with an hour for lunch. Because there are no gravel traps etc there were no delays whilst people were recovered either.

A quality day- I'll definitely be going back, hopefully in the wet so I can get used to drifting the car. :teeth:

Oh, and at lunch we stopped at the Shell garage down the road. I noticed a brand new pimped up BMW X5 parked by the entrance, with dark windows, huge black alloys and all the trimmings. I jokingly asked the guy behind the counter if it was his and he said yes! :blush: He then went on to explain that he also owns a 911 Turbo, and is thinking of chopping it in for an R8 V10!! By this stage I was pretty sure that he must own the petrol station and several others (I don't think he was making it up). He also said the Evo guys always come in for fuel when they are road testing at Bedford, and that he gets some very interesting metal coming through the pumps. He finished off by saying that they come in so often he knows them all personally. Great guy! :thumbs:

Pics below...

Rich

nice car you got there :drive1

anything you'd do different? Never done a trackday in the car but plenty on the bike and every time I did one I went home with a thought: "I'd do this different the next time, I'll use this instead etc etc"

:boat:

Got to say im definately up for some track days once ive got the car sorted, would you say the tracks ok for beginners? :blush:

I've driven 5 or 6 tracks in the UK and this is without doubt the best for a novice. I broke my track virginity on the 'Ring. Not ideal, especially in March with rain and snow showers! :scare:

The only thing is that the GT circuit is very long-nearly 4 miles, so it may be better to start on the shorter West circuit and learn some corners first.

nice car you got there :drive1

anything you'd do different? Never done a trackday in the car but plenty on the bike and every time I did one I went home with a thought: "I'd do this different the next time, I'll use this instead etc etc"

:boat:

Always. Obviously I got faster as the day went on and started using 4th gear more through some of the faster corners. I also got well into 5th on a couple of the straights :evil: Now I know the track I'd love to go back and progress even more. Loads of room for improvement!

BTW my brakes setup is standard discs and DS2500 pads rear, and Dixcel Carbon discs and pads on the front, with braided lines and Motul fluid. The stopping power was immense and there was no brake fade at all. The only problem I has was some judder once the pads and discs were very hot. Not sure what this was but I'm looking into. Could probably do with some cold air ducting.

Price for the day??

I beleive they are usually around the £150 mark, but you probably want track insurance and then petrol on top of that. I think most factor in about £500 for a full day with all wear and tear inc.

£500! No way! As per my first post it was £89 for track time, plus around a tank of fuel = £70. I only live about an hour away so didn't use much petrol to get there. I certainly didn't bother with track insurance given how safe Bedford is. Obviously there is some wear and tear to brakes and tyres but nothing that bad.

£500! No way! As per my first post it was £89 for track time, plus around a tank of fuel = £70. I only live about an hour away so didn't use much petrol to get there. I certainly didn't bother with track insurance given how safe Bedford is. Obviously there is some wear and tear to brakes and tyres but nothing that bad.

Mine was more of a conservative estimate. Best case, if you dont care for insurance, then yes a couple of hundred quid, espcially if you go gentle on the tyres and brakes. Worst case is you knacker the pads, discs, tyres, fuel and maybe crash :lol:

I try not to think about the worst case! :scare:

Yeah none of us like to consider it! :scare: But my list was more typical costs that people can have. The first track day I did with a mate, he killed his tyres and brakes (well almost) which resulted in him replacing them much quicker than before. I wouldnt want a member to budget only £150-£200 for a track day to then find they need to outlay another £500 the day after to replace bits, which they dont have and the car ended up being off the road.

Go easy and its pretty cheap, go hard and you will have extra costs ;)

Track insurance isn't so much for your driving, it's in case of other people being complete idiots ;)

Agreed, which is why I tend to avoid the very cheap days where you often find swarms of Novas and Corsas with inexperienced drivers. I find sharing the day with Ferraris, Lotus etc results in sharing the day with drivers who care about their cars... :)

Track insurance is a good idea, but for me the cost outweighs the chances of something happening on a well organised day. Bedford is actually very good in this respect as well as it's so long that there were times when I was the only car for 500m in either direction.