Front Lower Control Arm Clunking Noise?

ersen.o

has anyone else experienced this as i heard its a common fault?

do i need to change the whole control arm or is there an alternative like just chaging the bushes? any of the traders have anything for me??

its this bit:

W01331765877OES.JPG

its the first bush thing from the left thats gone

I have the same problem with my car.It's putting me off driving the damn thing.I took it in to a mates garage.They couldn't find any thing wrong with it and told me to carry on driving it until it got worse so they could identify it.It's a clunking/rattling noise that can be clearly heard when you drive over any rough surface such as a cobbled street.I want to get it sorted out ASAP before it creates other problems.ZMANALEX I need your help please.Please message me so I can contact you with potential to purchase one of those aluminium off side front rear front drag links.Cheers.

RIZ

• 1 month later...

Guys, i changed that arm and its still there!!!

propa knocking

also

when if i go 1mpg then brake the elt go brake e.t.c i can feel something going back and forth kind of??

i looked through your thread and you said its the tie bar? i cant find @*!# about this on the internet??

Nope is that what you changed? So I need a compression rod? How will I know it is that that is worn? Thxx

If you read my experiences you'll see that I changed EVERYTHING at great cost..........the last part I changed fixed the problem and that was the compression rod or 'banana bar' as it's called (part no 11) ............. AFAIK IT'S IMPOSSIBLE TO CHECK THIS DIAGNOSIS ............... but I'll bet you a 370Z that's what's causing your problem

Are we on for the three-seventy ? ;);)

I've been through this already and seen the various threads on the "banana" bar. A couple of months ago, I took my car to my local dealer with diagrams and photos and asked him to have a look. The service manager reckoned the npoise was definitely front offside, but for good measure inspected every suspension component for play. There was none.

In his opinion, the car was perfectly OK to drive, but the most likely cause was the anti-roll bar drop links. ZMANALEX suggested in a previous posting of mine that these be removed and if the clunking noise disappears, then you have confirmation. (£300 from a dealer for replacements, a lot less elsewhere).

Mine knocks over bumpy (read 'pot-holed') surfaces and I always thought it'd be the ball joints...

So there's no real way of knowing what needs to be changed to resolve it?

I imagine changing teh compression rod is a fairly big job considering how many suspension components there aare under there... I miss my Capri in times like this - Uprights, lower arm and ARB... :cloud9: Simple yet highly uneffective! ;)