Advice required re: Broadband choice

stanski

Check the website for your exchange and see which providers are connected ............etc

Chris

Thanks for that Chris ............ I now understand a bit more and as a fellow Tiscali user, can confirm that i have never had cause to complain either :teeth:

I'd steer clear of Tiscali and anything associated to them.

They disconnected my ex's daughter for spam (caused by a trojan) and sent an email to tell them - how do you read an email when your account has been suspended? Muppets

2 months of phone calls failed to sort it out, so the direct debit was cancelled and they were told where to put the remainder of the 12 month contract

I'd steer clear of Tiscali and anything associated to them.

They disconnected my ex's daughter for spam (caused by a trojan) and sent an email to tell them - how do you read an email when your account has been suspended? Muppets

2 months of phone calls failed to sort it out, so the direct debit was cancelled and they were told where to put the remainder of the 12 month contract

All ISPs do this. From experience I know Sky & Virgin have done it before. If you manage to install a Virus/Trojan (regardless of whether it was intentionally or not) and it starts spamming people then they have a responsibility to do something about it. The law is that you are responsible for anything which leaves your computer even if it's through no fault of your own.

Usually they stop your internet and ask you to sort the Virus/Trojan before they will switch it back on. If it comes back a second time they turn it off and ask you to provide them with a letter from a computer repair company confirming the issue has been sorted. We send our concern to the ISPs and let them deal with their users accordingly.

Sending an email to tell her was unusual though. Normally Tiscali send a letter, would make more sense.

I know O2 are meant to be very good. I'm with Virgin 20 meg at the moment though which is blisteringly fast if ur in an area where you can get it.

I signed up to 10 meg, was traffic managed (whejn they reduce speed for large downloading) so I called them inside 20 days when you can cancel and they upgraded me to 20 meg line for £15 a month (£5 less than 10meg).

If you can be arsed to buy 10 meg and spend 45 mins on phone to get the discount and upgrade ()which a know a few peeps have done now) its a great deal! B)

another vote for O2 here. Not had to ring customer support in the 2 years I've been with them. Super easy set-up, and suprisingly nice software to help troubleshoot any glitches.

I was with Tiscali before and they were very unreliable and very unhelpful.

Cable and Wireless are technically the same company as Virgin as far as im aware. :thumbs:

Ummm not exactly. c&w don't sell to domestic users, they provide data connectivity for big corporate companies. when i tell people where i work they often assume i mean virgin or ntl but we have nothing to do with the. c&w sold its tv services to ntl and stripped all its domestic services when it nearly went backrupt in 2003ish. since rebuilt as the best alternative to BT for big corporate businesses.

if you have virgin in your area go with them. if they say they can give you 50Mb then you'll get 50Mb. Internet over the telephone lines always sell as upto 8Mb etc because it is heavily dependant on your distance from the exchange. They'll tell you what you will potentially get but it is still just an educated guess.

Cable and Wireless are technically the same company as Virgin as far as im aware. :thumbs:

Ummm not exactly. c&w don't sell to domestic users, they provide data connectivity for big corporate companies. when i tell people where i work they often assume i mean virgin or ntl but we have nothing to do with the. c&w sold its tv services to ntl and stripped all its domestic services when it nearly went backrupt in 2003ish. since rebuilt as the best alternative to BT for big corporate businesses.

if you have virgin in your area go with them. if they say they can give you 50Mb then you'll get 50Mb. Internet over the telephone lines always sell as upto 8Mb etc because it is heavily dependant on your distance from the exchange. They'll tell you what you will potentially get but it is still just an educated guess.

My mistake, when I worked for talktalk they told me that cable and wireless became NTL then NTL was taken over my virgin. Talktalk isn't the best company though :lol:

I'm with Talk Talk. Had an issue with the phone line (BT line) and they sent an Engineer. He was decent and helped out with something he should have walked away from to be honest. No fuss.

I had an issue with my modem a while ago which was fixed through this forum :thumbs: but I've never had any issues with the broadband. Often looked at changing but the cost is fine and the product is fine.

apologies for this post - I'm still working at this late hour, and have been since 5am this morning (or yesterday morning)

I have been in IT/comms for well over 20 years now (infact since the internet came out) and I can confidently 100% recommend Virgin (cable) as your best provider - best contention ratio, best uptime, best customer services (as was Telewest prior to Virgin)

I have tried them all, and have customers on all the rest as well - TRUST ME - virgin is currently the best

apologies for this post - I'm still working at this late hour, and have been since 5am this morning (or yesterday morning)

I have been in IT/comms for well over 20 years now (infact since the internet came out) and I can confidently 100% recommend Virgin (cable) as your best provider - best contention ratio, best uptime, best customer services (as was Telewest prior to Virgin)

I have tried them all, and have customers on all the rest as well - TRUST ME - virgin is currently the best

Well theres a recommendation! I remember when the internet took off also - just thought it would be a geeky thing never realised it would take over my life so much! :blush:

Thanks for the personal experiences and info on your provider choices I will seriously look at them all - just need to price everything up and of course check the line speed - however new build estates are supposed to have fast exchanges are'nt they - ha ha ha yeah right! Will let you know what I decide thanks again folks. :thumbs:

Just dont use tiscali - geting in touch with them is hard enough. And they are not much use when you do. Had a massive rant at them when switching packages they shut down my e-mail account, despite telling me they wouldnt. And as they didnt keep any backups I lost loads of important emails and contact details. :angry:

Sufice to say I am no longer with them...