K&N Typhoon Kit - Any good??

terribleone

Hi guys.

Reading a recent thread about intake kits, the K&N wasn't really mentioned...are they any good? Is anyone running one on here?

They seem good value to get all this for just over £200...polished intake pipe, cold air box, filter and an air scoop.

large112952.jpg

Comments & opinions welcome!! :thumbs:

im sure one or 2 on here have them as ive seen them at meets (sorry cant remember whos car)

its my prime suspect for a intake as liek you said its actaully quite cheap (seen it for £212 !!) and fully enclosed.

if the quality is up to the usual K n N then it should be top notch.

got this on the car, and i had previously fitted a JWT pop charger, and had a stock air box before that.

i really like it, its a nice bit of kit, but the carbon lid isn't a perfect fit. i had to do some fiddling to get it to fit without rattling. but i can let you into the secret on that so that it only takes you 5 minutes ;)

the air feed and enclosed box are excellent. and being a K&N filter they are easy to clean. in fact mine is due a clean this month.

got this on the car, and i had previously fitted a JWT pop charger, and had a stock air box before that.

i really like it, its a nice bit of kit, but the carbon lid isn't a perfect fit. i had to do some fiddling to get it to fit without rattling. but i can let you into the secret on that so that it only takes you 5 minutes ;)

the air feed and enclosed box are excellent. and being a K&N filter they are easy to clean. in fact mine is due a clean this month.

how did it compare to the JWT in terms of sound, quality, performance etc (i know not much performance is to be had on either though!)

performance wise didn't notice anything really, might be beneficial when tuned for a difference of about 1bhp over the JWT, but it hopefully doesn't suffer the heat soak that the JWT does at idle. and also has better air to it as it feeds from lower down and is in a box. that is of course imho. but abbey m/s should give a better idea come tune day.

as for noise, yes their is a slight difference, but not a huge one. i don't tend to notice induction noise as much as i do exhaust noise. but its made a lovely ensemble with all the bits i have so far.

both are good choices, my personal preference is the typhoon. but the jwt is equal as good and a definite value for money mod.

for me the typhoon is better. there is more to it. polished intake. air box, carbon lid, and cold air feed from the grille.

husky said he difinitly noticed the noise of the typhoon when i was last at his, and did say it sounded tastey. ;)

• 2 weeks later...
where can i get 1 of these as would like this to be my first mod plus how does the polished pipe get around the meters plugged into the standard pipe when the standard airbox is fitted? :drive1

There is a slot in the chrome pipe to fit the MAF sensor so your all fine...

Ran one of these for some time, great noise and did some good.

Unfortunatly I had to run without the airbox due to the vents in my bonnet, then had my manifolds changed but didnt get them heat wrapped so this caused heat soak issues... Am still running the intake pipe and the bumper vent but with a Pop Charger. Both should be available soon sepeatly!

Great bit of kit considering what is included in the kit :) You dont need to remove the bumper like they say in the instructions, you can do it by undoing the undertray slightly and going in from the top via the hole where the bonnet catch is...

• 2 weeks later...

I would be really careful about fitting a K&N filter, or any oil/paper or oil/foam filter. On most fuel injected cars they use a hot wire metering system (MAF Sensor) for measuring air flow just before the thottle body. As K&N filters are basically paper based with an oil film, the oil from the filter can over a period of time coat the hot wire and over time it stops the air flow metering unit from working properly. Cure - replace the air flow metering unit which is expensive. Personally I wouldn't use any air filter that has an oil/paper or oil/foam element unless recommended by the manufacturer or a proper "trusted" 350Z tuner.

Also when I ran Porsche RS's I tried a K&N filer and it definitely gave less torque than the stock filter. This was confirmed by other RS owners who had dyno'ed their cars too.

K&N are a cotton filter

and lots of people run them on here, never heard of any problems on the zed, i was contemplating swapping to an apexi filter at some point because its a dry filter. but i've not been worried about this K&n.

another popular one is the JWT and thats oiled as well.

What would your recommendation be for an alternative filter then?

do you have any recommended 350z Tuner filters?

Oil on the maf can be fixed, we used to see it on the roadsters, just used to use a carb cleaning spray that was silicone free and did the job fine.

K&N are a cotton filter

and lots of people run them on here, never heard of any problems on the zed, i was contemplating swapping to an apexi filter at some point because its a dry filter. but i've not been worried about this K&n.

another popular one is the JWT and thats oiled as well.

What would your recommendation be for an alternative filter then?

do you have any recommended 350z Tuner filters?

Oil on the maf can be fixed, we used to see it on the roadsters, just used to use a carb cleaning spray that was silicone free and did the job fine.

Maybe lots of people on here run them but that does not mean there are correct for the car. I would use, or recommend using an air filter made from the same material as that supplied in the standard OEM filter, or a dry filter.

Regarding 350 tuners: you could ask Mark at Abbey as he seems very knowledgeable about this - there are other too, one up north I seem to recall seeing on another recent thread. I think Mark recommends the HKS panel filter. Apparently the factory system is very good and far better than many of the so called remote filters or (popchargers as they often called). The only way to know if these work is to get the car dyno'ed before and after. Also don't forget the original car will be mapped for a standard inlet and filter.

Regarding the MAF: these should last a very long time - maybe the life of the car. I know from the Porsche side using a oil based air filter like the K&N is a no no as it buggers up too many things as well as losing a lot of low end torque.