Lexx's Hire Car Blog

Lexx

A few months ago, I started my new job working on ferries running out of Dover.

This means that I have to drive down to Dover in a hire car, then 2 weeks later drive back home to Hartlepool. And then 2 weeks later repeat all over again.

It's a one way trip of 340miles.

Over the years, Ive driven a number of hire cars and vans, and tbh, have mostly been ok. But Im now on my 4th hire car, and decided its time to keep a log of just what we as customers have to put up with.

The first time I went down, it was only for a day, and didnt have an account set up with Avis at the time, so had to take care of it myself. So, of I went to my local Enterprise, and went to hire an Astra. Then I realised that for £4 more, I could have an Insignia. Since I ws doing 700 miles in one day, I thought I should get a comfier exec car.

So, I pitched up at Enterprise to be greeted with an apologetic sales rep, who said the Insignia hadnt been returned, so I was stuck with an Astra that had 20k on the clock.

So of I set in an Astra SRi.

I used to own a Mk IV Astra, and dont remember them being so damned uncomfortable. I was in agony after only 100 miles.

But I had to perservere. And as for the car itself, well, it had a sport button, but god only knows what it was for, so far as I could see it made no difference.

as for economy. Well, it cost £60 to do 300 miles. So whatever that works out at in mpg.

Roll on a few weeks later.

The bell of my flat rings, and I go down to get the next hire car, this one from Avis.

The guy tells me to close my eyes before he shows me to the car, cause he had just seen what was parked in my space.

So I was left with dun dun duuuuuuun - this

2009_chevy_aveo5.jpg

I now understand where road rage comes from!

It takes about 5 miles to build up to 70 *cough*, then someone pulls out into a non existant space in front of you, and you have to build up that speed all over again! It was driving me insane!

Well kitted out though - mp3 player, AC, all that gubins. Was comfy to drive. But had less performance than a moped.

Coming back home I was greeted with this

peugeot-207-c.jpg

Not to bad I thought. Till I got in. It was minging. Properly filthy. Still had empty drinks bottles inside, and other wrappers.

Still, I was in a hurry to get home, so couldnt be bothered to complain.

When you leave Dover Eastern Docks, its a straight left hand turn onto the A2, so it was almost 15 miles before I had to use the brakes.

I must have given the bloke behind me the fright of his life. I certainly needed to change my shorts.

I started braking, and got maybe 10% and no more. So pressed just a fraction harder and suddenly got 80-90%! COmpletely locked the wheels up, and nearly ended up with a Vectra in the back of my head.

Anyways, it was a diesel, and its only saving grace was that it cost £34 to do 350 miles.

The ride, comfort, steering, all sucked. It was a car I would like to avoid in future.

When I dropped off the car at Stockton on Tees branch, I mention that the brakes where dangerous, and the bloke couldnt have been less interested.

I join my boat agaoin next week, but the Avis office is closed, so today they delivered me this;

171067.jpg

COuldnt believe it when I drove it earlier - Another car with ridiculous brakes like the Pug!! Grrrr

Not only that, but the steering wheel is off center by over 5°.

The steering has very little to do with the direction of the front wheels when corneirng, exacebated even more by the current driving conditions.

It does however have i-pod compatability, and bluetooth phone set up. Along with all the other modern tech.

Anyways, I had intended to give more in depth reviews of each car, but realised I hate them so much, I'll just get annoyed.

Watch out for the next instalment in almost 3 weeks!

I feel your pain I use a hire car for work so have one most weeks. We used to use Hertz and as a 'Presidents Circle' member I was supposed to get a one class upgrade but it rarely happened. We now use Avis and I keep getting awful 207sw's so I feel like i'm on a school run or fiat bravo's which usually have a 1.4 turbo engine with 150bhp but very skinny tyres and no traction control!! In wet it can get very interesting at times!

They also used to chsnge there cars efore 15k but now i've seens ones with over 30. After that much abuse many are in a right state.

Chris

But had less performance than a moped.

This was my favourite description. :headhurt::lol:

I know what you mean about the brakes... i had a 1.0 Micra earlier this week while my zed was having a p3... fun little car but my god

I've had a few Micra courtesy cars way back, was quite lucky because each one was brand spanking new. Not a lot of oomph to get you up big hills and our reasonably big and steep Harbour Bridge. :lol: Mind for the masses might be fine. Nice to have had a courtesy car.

Best (worst) hire car I ever had was one of these

product-79518.jpg

I was 17, passed my test about 2 months and it was this colour! Removed the air filter (3 cylinder eng) and it sounded like an impreza turbo!

It was abused beyond belief but did get a wash with a fire hose after it had been rallied in a field for 2 hours solid. It was by far the worst piece of biscuit tin crap I have ever been in.

I wouldn't have been so mean to it if the hire company had treated me with any kind of respect at all.

IMO all newer cars are over servoed in so many ways. The new astras and corsas annoy me so much with their tap the brake and its always too much. The steering is always way way too late and it doesnt get heavier the faster you drive. The gear shifts feel like its straight from a toy. the stupid one click indicators :rant::rant::angry::angry::angry::angry::rant::bang::bang::bang::bang::bang: raaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrraaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrr. How lazy do you have to be to click the bloody things?!!!! in town its soo annoying and Im not that lazy or stupid on the motorway. fwd cars tend to have their steering slightly out if they are abused due to tyre hop can knock the steering out.

Update,

Been driving this Punto thing for a few days now, and I have one piece of advice for anyone who drives one....

REMEMBER TO TURN OFF THE CITY BUTTON!

There's this little "city" button. Basically it increases the PAS, and smooths out the idle when nudging along in traffic.

However, I forgot to turn this off when hitting a 70 road, and damn near wet myself when I went to over take! Steering was so light I nearly launched myself into the central reservation.

Me no likey.

And I gotta drive to Dover in that tomorrow!

:headhurt: Ouch Lexx - at least it will get you through the snow - the Zed wont ! :lol:

following 9on DBlocks comments worst car I have ever owned was the first incarnation of the Audi A4 - over servoed brakes is the understatement of the decade! if you sneezed you were through the windscreen!

My 300C has those stupid autoclick indicators also - hate them - have to remember to keep the indicator stalk pressed down or it will do 4 auto clicks for you - :rant:

We will have auto @rse scratching seats soon the way manufacturers are going! :lol: