Gearbox Whine

magrillz

Hi guys

Just wondered if I could ask for your advice once again.

First time I have had the car is such cold conditions so this may just be normal but I’m noticing a slight whine coming from the gearbox (I think anyway) when the car is cold in the mornings. Now obviously it is very cold at the moment but so might be related to that.

One of the reasons I’m slightly paranoid is that 2 weeks ago I had its 1st P1 Service and at the same time I thought I’d get the gearbox oil changed for Motul Gear 300 oil. The reason for this was that as you know the gearbox can be a bit notchy in the mornings and I had been advised this may help. Didn’t really seem to change it much at all but it’s no big deal. I take it the Motul stuff would still be fine in such conditions.

So just wondered if anyone else had noticed this whining when cold. Seems to go after 3-4 minutes so guessing it’s not major but thought I’d check.

Cheers

:thumbs:

Thanks for the reply. At least I know it’s not just me! As you can imagine, after just swapping the oil I thought, woops, maybe that was a bad idea. :thumbs:

Yeah going back to the gearbox whine, I think it’s like Mulled Wine and only available in the Winter :D

Yeah mine does it too - quite a bad whine noise for the first 20-30 secs of driving when i come off the power and roll with the clutch pedal all the way up. Once things begin to warm up, it goes away. I noticed this last year too - seems to be cold weather related only. Never happens when temps are above freezing.

Me too, and also just after a gearbox oil change, and also goes away when warmed up. Make a noise like a p*ssed banshee at about 40mph but soon fades.

I couldn't be sure if it was a wheel bearing or not, mainly because the exhaust is a little too loud to work out where the noise comes form exactly. Today (for the first time) I heard a very faint whine at tickover after being parked up in the freezing cold for a week, so I guess it must be the gearbox.

No, the dealer requested a new gearbox, but Nissan declined. I've only had the car two months and it has 17,000 on it, had 15,000 on it when I bought it. They will fix it, they just want me to foot the bill for inspecting it. They can get lost. Maybe I should take it to Renault :lol: ah well an engineer report will change that.