Zed in the SNOW!

andrewsin

Last night i drove home (only 12 miles) but took me 2 hours!!!!! There was traffic...on top i think the Zed is really bad in the snow!!! Initially i thought esp ON and very very light throttle...but when it comes to pulling off on a steep hill...it didnt work it just stays in one stop spinning sideways!! The best option then was esp OFF, d1 spec throttle control on SP7! Then the car span away!! Quite quickly aswell!

I drove to a friends house a few days back and also got stuck on a not very steep hill ...

In the end I had to reverse the car down to the bottom of the hill and make a second slow and stead ascent which luckily worked ...

It's not looking bad at all around my area at the moment so hope it stays this way ....

CBA which the snow anymore!

Well i am glad you are all have more luck then my. My car is stranded on what can only be described as an ice rink.

There is no why i can move it. I even had three people sat in the boot trying to get some traction but with no luck.

Not too sure how i am going to get home now!

Well i am glad you are all have more luck then my. My car is stranded on what can only be described as an ice rink.

There is no why i can move it. I even had three people sat in the boot trying to get some traction but with no luck.

Learn to "ghostride" the Zed.

On my trip back from Germany to the UK, I got coaught in the worst of it and it took me 18 hours to get back.

Stick the Zed in 1st or 2nd, then gently lift the clutch, no throttle, maybe feather the clutch till you start moving.

Once moving, resist the urge to step on the throttle, just let the Zed "ghostride" itself thru the snow and ice.

On my trip back from Germany to the UK, I got coaught in the worst of it and it took me 18 hours to get back.

Stick the Zed in 1st or 2nd, then gently lift the clutch, no throttle, maybe feather the clutch till you start moving.

Once moving, resist the urge to step on the throttle, just let the Zed "ghostride" itself thru the snow and ice.

I am amazed that more people do not know about using 2nd gear in this whether. I was taught how to use the clutch while I was learning to drive. On my way to work the other day there was a M3 and I citroen stuck all trying to pull over on a hill in 1st! Suggested they used 2nd and no revs (or very little) and the pulled off fine….

I am amazed that more people do not know about using 2nd gear in this whether. I was taught how to use the clutch while I was learning to drive. On my way to work the other day there was a M3 and I citroen stuck all trying to pull over on a hill in 1st! Suggested they used 2nd and no revs (or very little) and the pulled off fine….

agreed, the amount of people that have no clue :bangin:

instead of finance ads we should have "how to drive" tips on tv between programs.

Did the ghostriding method just now to get the car up and over the hill at my works car park worked well until a car decided to pull out and forced me to stop. Lost momentum and sat hapily in second gear clutch out just sliding around. Got a push tho so I am now able to go home at 5.

+1 :thumbs:

then again my dad was a professional lorry driver and he taught me how to drive in the snow. Didnt even have to deactivate the esp ever and i havent stopped driving the last 4 days.

and there is no road gritted in hull.... :rant:

+1 if your driving in snow/ice its not a race. you will see most cars (fwd) pass you but dont try to keep up as you wont. Also if you know the route then slow down early and use your brakes like there is an egg under the pedal. dont press hard enough to activate abs or you wont stop. Use more of the lane also as it gives you more room for error.

+1 if your driving in snow/ice its not a race. you will see most cars (fwd) pass you but dont try to keep up as you wont. Also if you know the route then slow down early and use your brakes like there is an egg under the pedal. dont press hard enough to activate abs or you wont stop. Use more of the lane also as it gives you more room for error.

For the record, i do know about this and while i am in no way a driving god, i am not a driving 'tard either. I was at my parents house where the snow on the road was about 20cm and with then zed's ground clearance i think i am justified in using the term stranded! :wacko:

For the record, i do know about this and while i am in no way a driving god, i am not a driving 'tard either. I was at my parents house where the snow on the road was about 20cm and with then zed's ground clearance i think i am justified in using the term stranded! :wacko:

What you on about? I was just saying it, its general advice for everyone and anyone who doesnt know.

What you on about? I was just saying it, its general advice for everyone and anyone who doesnt know.

I think that's pretty sound advice to be honest and we get a fair bit of snow here usually.

Sorry mate, wasn't having a go. It is indeed very good advice. I was just trying to say that even with that, the elements got the better of the Zed. Perhaps i could have worded it better......

The ultimate advice for using a zed in the snow has to be DONT! Steal a 4x4 and have some proper fun.

On a related note, does anyone with a 4x4 fancy giving me a tow out of Tilehurst Station car park???????