BM's trip to Germany ***pics added***

BulletMagnet

Just posting up about my impending trip to Germany.

Just a couple of questions (again)

I know I need a Warning triangle, I know I need a Hi-vis vest (will take my hi-vis jacket from work), but what does one do about the headlamp adjusters?

Are these those stick on things you put on the headlamps?

If so, can you even stick them on a Zed?

Or can I just get away being an ignorant brit?

Someone also told me that my car must be identifiable as being from the UK, either by having the numberplated the the blue EU thing on the left with GB or a small GB sticker on the rear.

Is that correct?

Thanks all for your input.

Did look up Green Flags website and found this amusing

Driving in the autobahn fast lane

If you have a car that's up to it and decide to use the left-hand lane, you will need to stay especially alert. Passing a line of traffic going at 75mph (120kph) when you're hurtling along at 110mph (177kph) can be dangerous if someone decides to change lanes in front of you. To avoid having to slam on the brakes, watch the vehicles in the right-hand lane closely for any signs that they intend to pull out - such as a flashing indicator signal.

Take extra care when passing trucks and other large vehicles as they tend to have bigger blind spots and slower reaction times.

Finally, when you come off the autobahn, driving again at 30mph (48kph) on a small residential road will seem strange and you will have a strong urge to speed up. Keep your eye on the speedometer to check that you don't.

+1 on the vest and the sticky things on the head light, as far I know you can get them from Halfords for not much and they come with instructions but never done it before. For the GB sticker hope for you it's not real, or, just put it up on the back window with some blue tack or something.

On the autoban be carefull and remember to stick to 70 mph :lol::lol:

+1 on the vest and the sticky things on the head light, as far I know you can get them from Halfords for not much and they come with instructions but never done it before. For the GB sticker hope for you it's not real, or, just put it up on the back window with some blue tack or something.

On the autoban be carefull and remember to stick to 70 mph :lol::lol:

Stick to 70 and you may as well be stopped in the hard shoulder lol. I went round Europe with a bunch of mates in a 1.8 190 last year and it struggled somewhat.

But in answer to the original poster I think you can put the headlight adjusters on the 350 headlights just read the instructions and you do need the GB sticker on :)

I thought you needed when on the continent:

Warning Triangle

Spare Bulb Kit

Small First Aid Kit

Hi Vis Jacket

GB Sticker or Numberplate mount (I'd go new rear plate)

Headlight deflectors - Yes they do fit but not designed for 'excessive speeds'

Remember only a very limited sections of the Autobahn is unlimited and I'm still yet to find signs to indicate where it starts and ends. Remember to take all your doc's aswell, v5, proof of insurance, MOT and both parts of your driving liceince (not all essential but speeds up proceeding 'when' you get pulled over)

What dcash5 said basically.

The unrestricted sections start with the white circle and a diagonal black stripe (like the national speed limit signs in the UK); and usually a 130 sign is the restricted areas.

To be honest going flat out isn't always possible because there is just too much traffic, but when you do ... :teeth: I always have my lights on (dipped beam) when using the left lane - most cars will move out of the way but there will always be some arse that point blank refuses to budge (flashing lights or indicating do nothing).

German driving is A LOT more aggresive. So sitting metres behind someone driving at 160 + is not unusual.

Roadworks these are normally 80 - 100 km/h, best to stick to these limits. A speeding ticket in Germany is normally okay, but a speeding ticket in roadworks is usually more expensive. Also the left lane is narrower than normal - so get to know the width of the Z (cause we do have big behinds :blush:

Motorway exits - notoriously sharp bends. Tend to be complete 270 u-turns with little braking area.

Red light cameras - nightmare fine if caught. Speeding is kindergarten in comparison.

Generally just enjoy it though :) The Zed is more than capable of out-accelerating and keeping up with most cars (Audi R8 and Bugatti Veyron are the only two cars I've seen do 300 + km/h on the autobahn :scare:

+1

It's also worth noting that the cameras are not sign-posted and are often concealed. Some of the methods of hiding are actually pretty crafty - the ones that are actually hidden in the Armco spring to mind!

It is starting to get pretty cold over here as well so be on the look out for icy patches. Oh, and there are no cats-eyes either!

• 2 weeks later...

And here are some pics...

On the way to the EuroTunnel

euro001.jpg

France is over there...apparently

euro002.jpg

Queing for the train

euro003.jpg

30mins later we finally get to board the train

euro004.jpg

If the bungs had been out at this point, I would have seriously been tempted to do a tunnelrun :lol:

euro005.jpg

Saw this in Belgium.....guess the women over there can't drive either

euro006.jpg

never been on the train. always travelled a la ferry. glad your back safe, look forward to hearing about your trip. feel free to pop round some time. :thumbs:

Not back yet, coming back on the 17th, hehe.

Anyways, onward with my trip report....

Today, I took some time for myself to explore the Eifel roads that I only knew as a kid on a pushbike growing up.

I went to a reservoir in Obermaubach first and then set off on my exploration, no set route, just seat of your pants driving...

eifelroute001.jpg

First from Obermaubach to Bergstein

eifelroute002.jpg

...then further on to Zerkall

eifelroute003.jpg

...from Zerkall then to Schwammenauel Reservoir (by the end of this section, I started playing with powerdrifting the hairpins.

Because of the elevation changes, you can in some cases look down the road to see if anything is coming the other way before deciding to get frisky in the corners.

eifelroute004.jpg

After passing the reservoir I pushed on to Heimbach

On this bit I was thoroughly enjoying hairpins, manically laughing everytime after the turn-in, boot it and countersteer sequence.

eifelroute005.jpg

Through Heimbach and on to Berg

eifelroute006.jpg

From there just an easy cruise home

eifelroute007.jpg

And here are some pics on the roads (mind you, I wonder who they are kidding with that 50kmh speed limit...)

euro008.jpg

euro009.jpg

euro010.jpg

euro011.jpg

euro012.jpg

euro013.jpg

euro014.jpg

euro015.jpg

euro016.jpg

euro017.jpg

euro018.jpg

euro019.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Right, after the adventures that were my journey home and actually getting home safe after an 18 hour trip, I've finally managed to upload the final pics.

The Zed was on a strict diet of this stuff...V-Power Racing 100

DSC01968.jpg

Saw this in a parking structure in Cologne...does excatly what it says on the tin, lol

DSC02013.jpg

Drove past this place everyday...

DSC02017.jpg

Then the snow started...

DSC02018.jpg

And the queues...

DSC02019.jpg

Got the chance to admire the wintery scenery...

DSC02020.jpg

Miles away from the Eurotunnel Calais and not much time to get there...

DSC02021.jpg

At the terminal I see this and felt some sort of irony in the name...Supreme Winter...no sh1t Sherlock!!! (btw, is lardons the french word for hard-ons?)

IMG_0221.jpg

It may be, because after the "lardons", I saw some balls....

IMG_0222.jpg

This I saw and thought of my german friends...(saufen = german for "getting drunk")

DSC02022.jpg

Finally boarding the train back to the UK.

DSC02025.jpg

Total milage done on my trip (better do an oil change soon, lol)

DSC02027.jpg

Looks like it was an enjoyable trip. When travelling in France make sure that you don't exceed the motorway speed limit by 30kph as you lose your license - if it's only you then your car is taken to the local police station and that's where it stays.

This isn't from personal experience just from what some motoring journalists found a few years ago. I'm glad I read this before my last few trips over to Europe.

When I was last over there I used the magnetic GB markers you can get now-a-days. When parked up remember to remove them and put them inside the boot as they have a habit of being collected (or falling off by themsleves). Just remember to stick them back on the outside before moving off - I forgot a few times but was never picked up on it.