Strange Smell

neo-ninja

Hi All,

So loving my car but after driving to the cinema and parking up, as it was cold i had the blowers on and noticed a smell of burning rubber. Didnt think anything of it and thought it was probably some one elses car. It was propbably a 20 min drive, not hard at all. No fast pull aways or anything.

Anyway then parked up at home, had the blowers on and it came through again, (as i was reversing), after parking i got out, and it smelt strongest around the front drivers side wheel. As its dark i cant see anything, but again i didnt drive particularly hard...

I know when i got the car, the garage who last serviced it about 2k miles before, had said it would need new front pads around now, could it be that? (when i got the car i asked the trader, when doing the safety check to check them(and told him i just wanted to be safe etc.. wasnt going to try and get more money off) and he said there mechanic said they were fine loads of wear left).

So any ideas? i have used the search but nothing has come up with front right, and not driving the car hard... Anyway a tad worried as have a long drive tomorrow....

Let me know

Thanks

Neo

I'd whip the pads out and have a look at them myself if you think it's that.

It the smell rubber though? Not clutch or brakes?

The rear pads (std brembos) have a habit of disintegrating but I haven't heard about this on the fronts.

get that myself sometimes... think its either the clutch or I've used some rubber :teeth:

Let me know what it is though! Only comes through sometimes AND only through the vent's

Can you smell it when around any of the tires, i can smell it from the front right....

I hope its not the clutch as it doesnt slip, changes gear fine etc... sometimes i can be a little heavy acually moving the gearstick into second/ first but i have hear this is normal.

IvE had a look through those but it mostly seems like peeps who have been driving the car hard and either it's burnt tires from burnout or clutch for the same reason. However I haven't been doing those......

Very odd going to look this morning, make sure no plastic bag stuck or anything. Will try running it idle for a bit see if I smell it.

get that myself sometimes... think its either the clutch or I've used some rubber :teeth:

Let me know what it is though! Only comes through sometimes AND only through the vent's

Can you smell it when around any of the tires, i can smell it from the front right....

I hope its not the clutch as it doesnt slip, changes gear fine etc... sometimes i can be a little heavy acually moving the gearstick into second/ first but i have hear this is normal.

Its deffo not the pads (mine a re new and smell was there before and after)

If it happens again I'll check. Think its heat on rubber that comes in via vents maybe... my 1st to 2nd is the same as yours, think my clutch is due a change and so is the oil in the tranny.

A

It sounds like your wheel allignment causing uneven wear on the inside of the tyre. Im guessing you have knocked it out. Had the exact same thing on mine.

I would feel how hot the tyre is after a drive. I would of thought for it to smell it would need to pretty hot.

Brake pads smell more like the clutch small then rubber. I would check the pads on that side as stew suggested as a precaution.

i get this smell too.

i dont think its anything major. but my clutch does make a whine when im reversing up my drive(pretty steep). i try not to rev it too much and let the clutch out a bit quicker so it bites instaed of slipping.

clutch doesn't smell of rubber though as the OP has described

I had this smell for a few months after buying my car and it turned out to be the belts needed replacing. Cars been smell free ever since.

It's worth a look. Check your belts are ok and not being chewed up, just run the car with bonnet up and have a look, you'll know if it is this as you'll smell it from the belts and you'll see bits of belt possibly on your overflow coolant bottle.

Not saying it's defo this but worth a crack as the belts are only about £25 to replace.

So had a look at the car this morning no sign of bag stuck round wheel etc...

I opened up the bonnet and there were quite a few leaves around the airvents at the top, so i removed all those.

Anyway to cut a long story short after about 80 miles of driving, i go to reverse into my space, and the smell is there.... The car drove perfectly mixed driving for those 80 miles, so a couple fast pull aways and lots of gentle driving...

I havent run the car with the bonnet open yet, i will do to see if i can smell anything. Also as i said the car was only serviced about 2k miles ago, so oil should have been changed etc...Clutch feels fine etc when driving...

How easy is it to get a look at the break pads?? (i am a complete noob... so be honest!)

I checked the engine oil in the cold this morning and it was just on the min mark, but on the 350z when should you check the oil, on my punto it was when cold... on my smart roadster it was when the engine was warm and had been running for a bit.....what about on the 350?

Many thanks for you help, any ideas would be great...

i used to get a nasty smell when ever i was reversing and then going into first to pull away, i always put it down to the clutch although i never felt it slipping when driving forward, when it came time to change to the ACT lightened clutch and flywheel the guys at the garage said my clutch was fecked, it had dont about 45,000miles

anyways havnt had the smell since so i guess thats what it was

Paul

just spoke to my bro, and he always had the same problem on his, and it had only done about 20k miles, he said he was told it was a common thing with them....

So that makes me think i doubt its my clutch, as i cant see if its not slipping at all that it needs changing... (i have owned 2 cars that both needed new clutches)

But i wonder how they thought your clutch was screwed if it wasnt slipping, or struggling to change gear etc....

Anyway i guess when i get my tires done at Nissan i will ask them to have a quick sneak peak...Unless there is someone in the Weybridge area who fancies a quick look? and a FOC beer?

how much will that set you back?

Not sure, I'd look to get an after market one that looks and performs better then the standard one ;-) will chat to my local mech tomorrow have some otherthings I want/need to do and check if I need done.

Comp test

Change fluids less eng oil

Now belt

Check clutch....

There goes crimbo gifts :p

A.