Wireless modem router

jim

My BT Home Hub finally gave up and I'm fed up trying to get any sense out of the BT helplines. :surrender:

I've decided to get a replacement wireless modem/router combination to service an iMac and a MacBook. Any suggestions as to the best makes/types out there?

I use virgin broadband at home, they have been brill so far, have the 50MB option :thumbs: customer car when i initially called em were friendly and good too

A number of my friends have cable broadband, and like it very much. If I had the option I would definitely go for it and drop BT Internet. However, there is no cable option in my area, so that's a no-go.

BT home hubs are a pile of poo. I would go for a D-Link or a Linksys :)

Don't hold back, Beavis, just tell me what you really think of Home Hubs! :lol:

I used to use a D-link modem and found it very reliable. Think that might be a good way to go now. Anybody any thoughts about Netgear or Belkin products?

Hi,

Most vendors such as Linksys, Netgear...etc are agnostic as to what you connect to it, just make sure you get a device that is capable of a high level of security..

If you are using wireless then make sure you put decent encryption on, otherwise you can be hacked with ease ....WEP for example is crap, I could sit out side you house in my Zed and connect to your wireless and download "Illegal things"... YOU WILL GET DONE !!!!!!

No one should ever use WEP... I can crack WEP in less than 30 seconds...... You need to be using WPA2/AES for the most secure or WPA/TKIP if your lappy cant manage WPA2

Also make sure you scan for other wireless networks from you house to channel map correctly..... Ideally you want to use 802.11a channels as no one else uses them and you will get much better wireless connectivity. If you need to use 802.11b/g then you will need a wireless channel scanner such as "net stumbler" to enable you to select either 1, 6 or 11 as they are the only channels which don't overlap - choose the least popular of the three.

just the thoughts of a wireless engineer who has spent the day with inept idiots !!!! :bang::bang:

Rant over :teeth:

I have the full BT broadband and tv package and am suprised you are having problems with them. I have had it since it was introduced and the one time I had a problem with BT vision it was sorted via a uk call centre in 48 hours.

I too have the BT Total broadband package and would agree that BT have been mostly helpful and have tried to sort out any problems I have experienced. However, this time the call centre in India did not appear to understand that the Hub is knackered and wanted me to go through a whole series of worthless and unnecessary checks which I had already done. I just need a replacement router and they don't seem to want to give me one. :dry: I just thought it was worth £30 or so to cure the problem wihtout any more hassle.

I have the full BT broadband and tv package and am suprised you are having problems with them. I have had it since it was introduced and the one time I had a problem with BT vision it was sorted via a uk call centre in 48 hours.

I too have the BT Total broadband package and would agree that BT have been mostly helpful and have tried to sort out any problems I have experienced. However, this time the call centre in India did not appear to understand that the Hub is knackered and wanted me to go through a whole series of worthless and unnecessary checks which I had already done. I just need a replacement router and they don't seem to want to give me one. :dry: I just thought it was worth £30 or so to cure the problem wihtout any more hassle.

In that case I would fully agree, the reason I was so happy is that the guy I spoke to was a Geordie and the call back weas from somone local. I hate foreign call centre. :surrender:

Hi,

Most vendors such as Linksys, Netgear...etc are agnostic as to what you connect to it, just make sure you get a device that is capable of a high level of security..

If you are using wireless then make sure you put decent encryption on, otherwise you can be hacked with ease ....WEP for example is crap, I could sit out side you house in my Zed and connect to your wireless and download "Illegal things"... YOU WILL GET DONE !!!!!!

No one should ever use WEP... I can crack WEP in less than 30 seconds...... You need to be using WPA2/AES for the most secure or WPA/TKIP if your lappy cant manage WPA2

Also make sure you scan for other wireless networks from you house to channel map correctly..... Ideally you want to use 802.11a channels as no one else uses them and you will get much better wireless connectivity. If you need to use 802.11b/g then you will need a wireless channel scanner such as "net stumbler" to enable you to select either 1, 6 or 11 as they are the only channels which don't overlap - choose the least popular of the three.

just the thoughts of a wireless engineer who has spent the day with inept idiots !!!! :bang::bang:

Rant over :teeth:

Thanks for this - very helpful. I was concerned that my old modem, which I have been forced to use in the meantime, only has WEP security. On the other hand, I know and mostly trust all of my immediate neighbours and, since we are in a cul-de-sac, it's unlikely that anyone would be sitting outside without us noticing them!

That's good advice about the 802.11a channels - I wasn't aware of the security benefit of using that. I've been looking at a Netgear modem that claims the following security advantages -

The built-in True Firewall features Stateful Packet Inspection (SPI) and Denial of Service (DOS), which operate as your first line of attack against intruders. The DG834G provides both WEP and WPA-PSK wireless encryption standards to protect your network from eavesdroppers and bandwidth pinchers! Content filtering lets you control access to inappropriate websites and limit usage by time of day. To be ultimately secure you can limit access to designated computers using their unique ID, called a MAC address.

It doesn't seem to mention the 802.11a channels, though.

Edit - just looked again - it says 802.11g.

If you live in a cul-de-sac then you should be ok with 802.11b/g. I would however scan to see what your neighbours are using so you can avoid any interference

If you have a "home network" then you might want to look at 802.11n where you can up the bandwidth to 300mbs, if you just use the internet then its not worth paying the extra and stick with 802.1a/b/g which is 54mbs.

The 834G is a popular router - -I would advise you make sure you update the firmware to the latest version and lock down the firewall for ALL external to internal connections.

Security is all about common sense - If you use a PSK then make sure its at least 10 characters using alpha-numeric-character format...e.g 1L0veMy3$0Z3d! for example