Calling all K1 exhaust owners...

InsanezeD

Right, I have just fitted a K1 (Y pipe back) system, now correct me if I'm wrong but I thought no power gains were possible with fitting an exhaust, apart from an awesome sound?

In all honesty I was expecting an unoticable power loss if anything, or nothing at all.

Thing is the car is noticably behaving differently, it's accelerating quicker, reving faster and definately feels more torquey, other breathing mods include an HKS Super Hybrid panel filter.

I thought that it may just be in my head, but after about an hour of driving it around today, it clearly feels more powerful.

anyone else with similar mods noticed any difference?

I have noticed the same thing when I first fitted mine, however, the ECU will re adapt and cancel all of the that. At first I thought thats not possible but one way to verify it is to keep an eye on your MPG. it will improve in the first week or so then drop down again which will tell you that the ECU has cancelled everything.

Nismo exhaust and dual intakes here..every time i reset the ecu it feels like its going a bit nicer but after a couple of weeks it feels slower?? I think it all changes when the CEL light comes on or slightly before that... :dry:

Does a reset delete the ECU adaptation to the mods???

I have never bought an after market exhaust before only heard them passing and everytime I think sounds chavvy like, When you get something like this fitted can someone tell me the difference of sometime like a K1 to what you hear on most Scubby's ??

PS insane, what did you do with your UK standard exhaust?

I have never bought an after market exhaust before only heard them passing and everytime I think sounds chavvy like, When you get something like this fitted can someone tell me the difference of sometime like a K1 to what you hear on most Scubby's ??

Haha not chavvy at all m8!!! Its a 3.5l V6 not a 1.0 4cyl corsa you know.... :lol::lol:

A scooby has a very destinctive note being a boxer engine.

A k1 (in my personal opinion) is far too loud however there are loads of really nice sounding exhausts out there too! It's personal taste however it doesn't have to be chav!

Your correct when you reset the ECU the car will feel a little sharper, then as time goes by the ECU will retune it self back to the settings stored in the ECU. Strange I know but this is how most modern car was nowdays.

When you dyno the cars after a reset it takes a few runs to get a consistent figure.

Your correct when you reset the ECU the car will feel a little sharper, then as time goes by the ECU will retune it self back to the settings stored in the ECU. Strange I know but this is how most modern car was nowdays.

When you dyno the cars after a rest it takes a few runs to get a consistent figure.

Yup its a right PITA! Probably why people seem to make good gains if they do a mod and dyno straight away too. Need to go back in a month to prove its gone back to stock as it inevitably does :(

the way round it then is to put an upgraded aftermarket ECU in such as omex 600?

This would stop the ecu resetting it self, allow you to have a full live custom remap aswell, and plenty other features.

Normally around £1600 to supply fit and map an aftermarket ecu like this.

Only thing i dont know is what hassle it will be fitting to the Z engine, the standard ECU might not allow piggybacking.

But people who turbo their Z's should be doing it so cant see there being a problem.

the way round it then is to put an upgraded aftermarket ECU in such as omex 600?

This would stop the ecu resetting it self, allow you to have a full live custom remap aswell, and plenty other features.

Normally around £1600 to supply fit and map an aftermarket ecu like this.

Only thing i dont know is what hassle it will be fitting to the Z engine, the standard ECU might not allow piggybacking.

But people who turbo their Z's should be doing it so cant see there being a problem.

Plenty of options, UTEC, Haltech, F-Con, up-Rev just to start with. Can be done for a lot less than £1600 if you shop around :)

Sold it, a friend of a friend got wind of it that I was changing the exhaust and he offered me £100 for it because his was shot, and to think I was going to just scrap it aswell lol, turns out it was still good and solid, probably another 2 years life left in it.

I suppose it's horses for courses when it comes to exhausts, the K1 is a loud exhaust with the bungs out, but it's a lot quieter with them in, It hits the spot for me anyway.

the K1 is a loud exhaust with the bungs out, but it's a lot quieter with them in, It hits the spot for me anyway.

I feel the spot for the k1 is somewhere between the two (bung in/out) if you can have the smoothness you get with the bungs in + the sound with the bungs out = :cloud9:

maybe a bung re-design is in order ;)

Nissan can tell if they want anything that has been done to the ECU , even if it has a Haltech connected then removed.

I dont think your have any trouble afetr refashing the ECU , not as if we are going to let your car rev to 10,000rpm. We just finsh the job off for Nissan as to speak.

• 1 year later...