Speeding tickets and NIP timing?

Lincolnbaggie

Question for those that know (whether in the job or not ;) )

Have received my NIP (Notice of Intended Prosecution) for my slip up on the speed front coming back from Wales. No queries about validity or anything - fair cop and all that - however,

I'm off to Portugal for 3.5 weeks in two weeks time and will need my licence while I am there. I have 28 days to respond the NIP (dated 15 October) - I assume once I send the form back they will process it and issue me with a fixed penalty notice and I'll have to produce my documents and surrender my licence for endorsement. My question is, do I get another 28 days from the issue of the offer of a fixed penalty to respond or is it less. If I send the NIP back the day I fly out and I'm away for 3.5 weeks will that give me enough time when I get back to deal with the issue and avoid a court appearance? If I send the form back now I imagine the request will arrive (a) before I go and then I surrender my licence before I leave meaning I can't hire a car etc when abroad or (B) it arrives just after I leave and I end up with a summons and a bigger fine for not responding in time.

Anybody got any knowledge on the timing of all this and the process (I could do without guesswork from people and prefer answers from those in the know if there are any on here, if you know what I mean - PM me if you prefer ;) )

No, the NIP is simply asking for details of who was driving at the time (it was a manned camera not a stop). I have 28 days to submit this with my driver number, address etc, and then the fixed notice gets issued afterwards (assuming I get one and not a straight summons). It's how long I have to deal with the fixed notice when that arrives that I'm unsure about.

My Mrs, who is in CID, is unsure whether the fixed penalty would be payable within 14 or 28 days as at that point its got nothing to do with the Police, its the courts that are dealing wih it at that point. Might be worth phoning the local courts that would be dealing with it?

PS: 350 posts :yahoo:

You could get someone to reply to the NIP while you're away, then you'd be back home within 2 weeks to deal with it?

Not quite enough time. NIP issued on 15 October, so I have to reply by November 12th and I don't get back until Dec 2nd which is three weeks further on. If it's 28 days to reply to the fixed penalty I'm fine, but if it's only 14 days I'll still be in Portugal with my licence on me and the letter at home where I can't fill it in or read it or (more difficult) sign it.

Cheers for the help Sarnie; unfortunately I can't get any details from anywhere about who to contact. I've tried Nottingham Central Ticket Office but can't get through to anyone who has any idea.

350 posts -yeah - do I get a medal or something ;)

mmm, just trying to remember what i did when i got mine recently.....

I filled the form in and sent it back to cough to the speeding. Then after a while they sent me the result - i.e 3 points and a fine. THEN i had to send my licence in for them to HANDWRITE on it in pen.

I would just send the form off before you go on hol and don't worry about it. At the end of the day once you've done that i'm sure you'll be fine - your licence etc could even have got delayed in the postal strike or lost in the post. Once you've admitted it i don't think you will be top of the pile.

OR, when you reply to the notice - put a letter in saying you are on holiday between A and B and won't be able to respond further until you return. Make sure you take a copy of the letter etc. That should cover you. :thumbs:

mmm, just trying to remember what i did when i got mine recently.....

I filled the form in and sent it back to cough to the speeding. Then after a while they sent me the result - i.e 3 points and a fine. THEN i had to send my licence in for them to HANDWRITE on it in pen.

I would just send the form off before you go on hol and don't worry about it. At the end of the day once you've done that i'm sure you'll be fine - your licence etc could even have got delayed in the postal strike or lost in the post. Once you've admitted it i don't think you will be top of the pile.

Done some more checking online and it looks like you have 28 days after you receive the fixed penalty notice as well before you have to accept it and send off the money and licence, so I should be okay if I send the NIP back just before I go.

Nix, any memories on how long the fixed penalty notice took to arrive after you sent back the "I did it" form? (It's probably still at the bottom of your mis-matching handbag ;) )

depends on how much over you are. I was 42 in a 30 (which i never do it was a genuine slip up..........) they were then in that bloody van at howden again yesterday.......They never let me have the course i had to have the points.

i've never been issued a NIP i got mine straight from the cop. had to produce my documents at the station when i got home within 14 days of the yellow slip. they signed off that i had all the paper work, then it was my job to send the documents off to the DVLA if i remember rightly. must admit my memory is hazey as it was over 5 years ago and my licence is now clean again. takes for ever to get rid of them.

should have details of the court issuing, or the place that this was issued from, try ringing them.