just failed MOT...

UNABASHED

took my car in for it's first MOT today and it's failed on front pads and discs. The car had only been serviced 3 weeks ago and I was told they were all fine so I'm a bit skeptical at the moment and will be having a good nosey around once its daylight!

MOT chap called me with the bad news and said he couldn't get discs for replacement until Tuesday, that's fine I told him as I would be getting my own sorted out. Now, I have only owned the car a few months and I'm still working out which brands/priducts seem to work well and are respected by owners. EBC seems to be a good name for the 350 (although it wasn't for my previous car!) and wondered if anyone had any experience - good or bad - to share with me? Also if anyone has any other recomendations ofr me that will be just as good :)

I have standard brakes so it's non-brembo sets I'm looking for and I'm on a budget as this wasnt something I was expecting and have just blown a lot of money thinking I had nothing to spend it on this month - typical!

Lots to choose from on here...http://z-store.co.uk/index.cfm?fuseacti ... gory_id=22

I have EBC yellow stuff pads on mine and have no issues. Disks are standard though...

For the full pads and disks all round you'll need to budget around £700+ (roughly half it for front only - but check the rears too). Not really what you want to hear, however its the one major thing that stops you from having accidents if it comes to that (ignoring brakes is risking your life - and you can't put a price on that).

As Vik has kindly posted up all my Brembo stuff I also have a selection of preownwd JDM stuff which is sitting in a corner gathering dust, all acquired from swop outs for Brembo upgrades.

This stuff is all used but in good condition but best to check with the MOT station what the failure issues actually are especially after your service brake report.

No point in fitting used stuff if you are going to have the same issues.

car was serviced 3 weeks ago and braking efficiency was fine, no issues whatsoever. bit gutted to replace brakes when they are braking fine but if it has to be done it has to be done i guess!

what sort of price would you be wanting for the JDM brakes you have?

You can have them for nowt mate as long as you cover the shipping but I am a bit concerned that your MOT station may deem them as no better than what you have at present.

For the avoidance of doubt, if you want them, just confirm the approx. diameter and thickness of the discs that you require

Budget non Brembo new discs are cheap as chips. :thumbs:

mate my bro is a mot tester and you cant fail for pitted discs and ill tell you why !!!!!!!

the last mot seminar he went to said that if they fail pitted discs they must fail drilled and slotted discs as they are ultimatley the same lol

ask the question as they sound like they are doing you over....advisery YES !!!! FAIL ...NO !!!!

mate my bro is a mot tester and you cant fail for pitted discs and ill tell you why !!!!!!!

the last mot seminar he went to said that if they fail pitted discs they must fail drilled and slotted discs as they are ultimatley the same lol

ask the question as they sound like they are doing you over....advisery YES !!!! FAIL ...NO !!!!

you see this is exactly what I thought. im going back to them tomorrow after having it checked by a mechanic so i have some proof to confront them with.

If still need to change I'll drop u a PM alex - thanks for the help (again!)

Apparently the fact they are 'excessively pitted' means it is definitely a MOT failure.

I might as well just get some new discs and pads rather than risk another failure as you mentioned before alex. If I go for something like EBC turbo grooved with redstuff or yellowstuff pads is that a good combo for the Z?

I don't want to spend a fortune on them though as I will be upgrading to a Brembo or similar big brake set-up once funds allow and I have stopped spending money on other stuff I want for the Z!

I appreciate you position bud but its worth mentioning that R35LEE has a full brembo set up from a very low mileage written off car. The price is pretty good too.

Hope that helps. :)

Although I would love to upgrade the brakes to Brembo right now I just don't have the spare cash - even if they are priced well they will be nowhere near the price of standard front discs and pads! Thanks for the heads up though - appreciated!

I've found EBC grooved discs with yellowstuff pads for £223 all in and postage included, if I get any good comments on this setup then I might just go ahead with those.