Lipped discs...

N!ck-z

My last service I was told my front discs were lipped but were not in need of a change for a while. my question is, how long is "a while"?! I.e, how severe are these lips generally accepted to be before a change is due, and why? Inspecting my discs again today the lips are approx 1mm, however they are functioning fine and making no noises, but I would rather jump before I am pushed.

I've had a search thhrough the forum and a google search but not found much.

Any help will be appreciated!

Cheers

Nick

The official figures are:

Brembo front: original thickness 30mm

Minimum thickness 28mm

I have see discs working perfectly well at less than 28mm, just as Greekman has said :thumbs:

Chris, I will be giving you a ring tomoz. ;)

Alex.

The official figures are:

Brembo front: original thickness 30mm

Minimum thickness 28mm

I have see discs working perfectly well at less than 28mm, just as Greekman has said :thumbs:

Chris, I will be giving you a ring tomoz. ;)

Alex.

no worries m8. shame i have never seen the lip on my disks..... :lol:

• 2 weeks later...
is it true some actually FILE down the Lip to add life to disc? :surrender:

am i the only one who laughed at the stupidity of that :lol:

No I did too!! Is that a civic money saving idea Jerry? ;)

One thing on the discs (that is happening to me at the moment) is that the disc will start to get a little rough like sandpaper and this (I am told) will start to degredate the pads and wear them away quicker... Someone correct that if I am wrong!! Just looking around now to find the best deal on a set of pads and discs... May just replace the front pads and discs for now...

One thing on the discs (that is happening to me at the moment) is that the disc will start to get a little rough like sandpaper and this (I am told) will start to degredate the pads and wear them away quicker... Someone correct that if I am wrong!! Just looking around now to find the best deal on a set of pads and discs... May just replace the front pads and discs for now...

I think he was talking about planning them (or planing them...pls forgive the migrant)...when they get overheated and the steering starts juddering... that removes the lip as well but i have never tried it and cant comment... :)

I have seen front disks on a seat toledo 1.6 that had 3mm lip each side which is minus 6mm thickness and they were just fine... :scare:

I think he was talking about planning them (or planing them...pls forgive the migrant)...when they get overheated and the steering starts juddering... that removes the lip as well but i have never tried it and cant comment... :)

I have seen front disks on a seat toledo 1.6 that had 3mm lip each side which is minus 6mm thickness and they were just fine... :scare:

:scare: I'd rather just play it safe and buy new discs - not much else on the car to help you stop except the crumple zone :lol:

:scare: I'd rather just play it safe and buy new discs - not much else on the car to help you stop except the crumple zone :lol:

+1

Its tyres, brakes, suspension.... :thumbs:

You have got to be alive to be quick!!! :lol:

• 1 month later...
You could get them skimmed, lots of car dealers do to make the brakes look fresh as a selling point

http://www.skimmydiscs.co.uk/index.html

thats probably what jerry meant

Most likely, but doesnt stop us having some fun :lol:

Most cases I've seen skimming used is when someone accidentally lets the pads go to the metal and score the discs. This is when the discs havent worn too much so you can take a bit off them. I dont think you should be skimming seriously lipped discs as its an indication they need changing. I guess if you have a slight lip and are fitting new pads you could, but dont really see the point.