K1 Exhaust Install

Brett350z

Hi

My new Japspeed K1 is arriving today, was going to get a garage to fit but am tempted to have a go myself.

I will have access to a garage, axle stands and all tools but am debating whether there will be enough room for one and whether I will have any issues with the original bolts. Car is on a 53 plate.

Can anyone who has fitted a K1 or infact any catback exhaust themselves give me any tips and basically best place to start etc.

Would be grateful

Thanks

Brett

I installed mine myself with some axle stands, word of warning though, the mid pipe bolts WILL have frozen up, you need to get a hand held blow torch or something to heat them up prior to removing. I snapped mine and ended up having to drive to the garage with no back box to have them drilled out. Once you have the old one off the K1 is a piece of p*ss to install.

Oh but I would get a mate to help as it would be very awkward doing it yourself.

R

Thanks for the replies, old man has a small heat torch and we've a pit in the garage so I hope things will run smoothly, just took delivery of the exhaust and very impressed, welds look fairly tidy. Have removed those wussy bungs aswell ;)

Will post a update later with how I get on, any tips on best place to start? Midpipe end or backbox? Loosen all bolts and remove or do one at a time?....

Brett

Old man didnt get in until late last night so we didnt give the exhuast a try. Local performance garage who I used to take my Type R too managed to slot me in this morning to fit the exhaust.

Got a call just now saying they are having problems fitting it, strange I thought as they have done many 350z's before and no members on here have had problems with the K1.

Just been down and the midpipe is catching heavly on the crossmember, pulling the flex's on the y-pipe badly. Its also catching on the rear anti-role bar and diff. Really disapointed as I expected it to fit no problems. Garage confirmed they couldnt spot a problem with the car.

Luckly taking the standard exhaust off was no problem so ill get it put back on and pack up the K1. Garage are supplying pictures which I will post up later. So so gutted. :thumbdown:

This along with a 10 hour stint of uni in a bit is going to make my day :bang:

• 5 months later...
This is a usual thing with Japspeed ones, they often foul on the cross members etc..

Most people just use some heatproof stuff to stop the rattle.

this is the downside of buying cheap, you get lax tolerances!

I have a slight rattle on mine, can anyone recommend some heat proof padding. Also thinking of dyno-matting the inside of the boot to reduce the cabin noise, has anyone done this before?

think im going to heat up the downpipe tomorrow and hit the bottom more flat so will be like an arch shape that way giving the clearance of the cross member. whatya think

Are you not tempted to return it and request one that fits? Strikes me as a fairly drastic measure to have to take on a new bit of kit!