Gearbox massively worse after changing oil

HampshireRob

Hi there,

As with many on here I've put up with a notchy gearbox for ages and put it down to being a characteristic of the car. It's never really been that bad - just very mechanical going from 1st to 2nd with a heavy clunk - no big deal.

However, I've just had it serviced and specifically asked for the transmission oil to be replaced (although it wasn't really due as it's only covered 25k miles).

The outcome is a box that's almost impossible to engage 1st until warmed up and a 2nd that occasionally crunches as if the synchro is buggered. Garage assured me that the old oil came out completely clean and the correct spec went in (EP80/90 GL4 - please someone confirm this is right?).

If the gearbox is fragile/compromised in some way is there a more sympathetic (thicker/thinner) spec oil I can try (whatever was in there before was much, much better).

Anyone else seen this sort of symptom after changing oil? Starting to think a second hand box is on the cards :-(

Yes, I have this problem. My box was on about 65K miles but still sweet as anything, then I had the oil changed. Now when cold it is stiff for 1st and 2nd, occasionally crunches into 5th and make a wail like a banshee (although this may be a wheel bearing, I think its the output bearing if there is such a thing - the bearing on the final output before the prop?). Once warm, after even 5 minutes driving, no problems at all.

I used proper spec, decent Millers oil. Wish I hadn't bothered changing it now! Double clutching is a pain.

• 1 year later...

hi, i have 1st hand experience of this, my main dealer replaced oil with wrong grade, too thick. real bad when cold.

re changed oil foc, better but not right,

flushed box and replaced oil once more, perfect !

get it sorted asap thick oil is not good when cold damage will be done.

a local garage destroyed an isuzu gbox for me as a direct result of this.

take my word for it dont trust them if they wont put their hands up to a mistake, cheaper in long run to bite the bullet if necessary and pay to change oil to correct viscosity if necessary.

luckily my main dealer were honest and went out of their way to get things perfect for me. restored my faith completely. well done nunns mitsubishi of grimsby!! same principles apply to all makes, obviously. :D

Unfortunately this now appears to be a regular recurring issue. :thumbdown:

I have the correct genuine fluids in stock that will rectify these issues. :yahoo:

Aftermarket stuff just does not appear to work as many forum members will testify.

I am also equally sure that they will confirm that the fluids that I supplied fixed there gearbox issues :thumbs:

Alex. :)

Had a similar problem, used the correct grade as recommended by Alex and added Molyslip too at his suggestion, much improved and a really silky smooth change :thumbs:

+ loads

My gear change was terrible and I even had a nasty buzzing noise at certain revs in 5th but a gearbox oil change and some molyslip from Alex and it is smooooooth B) Except when it is cold :cold::lol:

I was recommended this by Opie :

Fuchs Titan Race SYN 5 75W-90 Fully Synthetic Gear Oil (was Silkolene SYN 5 75w-90) - for Diff

Fuchs TITAN SINTOFLUID SAE 75W-80 synthetic manual transmission fluid - for gear box

Does this sound right??

Edited to clarify

I have a silly question.....

Ive got slight whine in 6th gear when sitting at 80.... would adding an additive like mollyslip quieten it down?

You would probably be best changing the gearbox oil and then adding the molyslip :thumbs:

As I said I had a really bad whine in 5th at about 50.... and the oil change sorted it all out :thumbs:

A new clutch and flywheel probably helped also...

Ive got slight whine in 6th gear when sitting at 80.... would adding an additive like mollyslip quieten it down?

Absolutely nothing to loose by changing the gearbox fluid and by adding molyslip as Dave has advised. :thumbs: he's learning slowly. ;):lol::lol::lol:

Best to stick with genuine fluids as aftermarket stuff has not worked for some members so they have had to pay twice.

I have the proper stuff in stock and good to go same next day. :yahoo:

Drop me a PM if I can help you further mate. :thumbs:

Absolutely nothing to loose by changing the gearbox fluid and by adding molyslip as Dave has advised. :thumbs: he's learning slowly. ;):lol::lol::lol:

Best to stick with genuine fluids as aftermarket stuff has not worked for some members so they have had to pay twice.

I may be learning very slowly but I only have to be told once :p

I have had the exact same problem with this, got my oil changed (car has only done 17k miles) and its really bad now every change from first to second is a pain. Can you tell me the price of the oil and the molyslip to go with it? as this is really starting to miff me off.

I have had the exact same problem with this, got my oil changed (car has only done 17k miles) and its really bad now every change from first to second is a pain. Can you tell me the price of the oil and the molyslip to go with it? as this is really starting to miff me off.

You will have pm shortly :thumbs:

Dom187

Hi mate,

Sounds like that you may have the wrong fluids in your transmission.

Aftermarket fluids do not appear to work.

Prices as requested.

3 Lt genuine transmission fluid (capacity2.9Lt) £45.54

1 X DC Molyslip £12.50 (this is different from the Halfords moly that you flagged up)

Let me know if I can help you further.

Regards,

Alex.

Dom187

Hi mate,

Prices as requested.

1 X DC Molyslip £12.50 (this is different from the Halfords moly that you flagged up)

Regards,

Alex.

Thanks for the info Alex really appreciated :thumbs:

I have found out that the oil in the gear box was "Comma EP80W90GL4" is this the genuine stuff? (this was put in by my local tuning shop, he said it was "Nissan Spec")

Dom187

Hi mate,

Prices as requested.

Regards,

Alex.

Thanks for the info Alex really appreciated :thumbs:

I have found out that the oil in the gear box was "Comma EP80W90GL4" is this the genuine stuff? (this was put in by my local tuning shop, he said it was "Nissan Spec")

That will more than likely be your problem. :thumbs:

Get them to swop it out for Genuine Nissan stuff.

If they require the correct fluids or simply the correct part number then just give me a shout. :thumbs:

Sorry if I am being abit of a thread hijacker but I thought I would post what is happening with my gearbox...

I got a service done as soon as I got my Zed (its a DE) got a full blown P3 done with a change of fluids in the gearbox and rear diff its only had 15k miles but it was four years old so a P3 was due. Also with the service I got the garage to put in some molyslip as well into the gearbox.

When I got the car back I noticed straight away the gear change is worse especially from 1st to 2nd, I thought maybe the new oil needed to bed in. Its now about 2 months later and its still no better and taking note of what various people have said I asked the garage what oil they used, they came back and said "Comma EP80W90GL4" which meets the manufactures specs blah blah.. even so its not the genuine Nissan oil. Thankfully we have the likes of Alex on the forum who was able to give me the correct part number for the oil that should be used for my box so I have let the garage know this. They have agreed to change the oil to the proper genuine stuff and I will not have to pay if it makes any difference. The oil will be changed Monday I will report back my findings.

Abit of a waffle I know but it might help someone in the future.

Well credit to the garage involved they have agreed to replace the gearbox oil regardless if it makes the car better, reason being they used 'Autodata' to work out what oil to use in the gearbox which came out as - EP80W90GL4 which is the wrong viscosity! I also put molyslip in the gearbox when the oil got changed to the wrong stuff (it should have been 75W85 for my gearbox and the oil differs depending on gearbox I believe, speak to ZMANALEX hes the man when it comes to getting the right oil for your car) then I had the issue with changing from first to second.

I have brought some more Molyslip... do I put it in again when the proper oil gets put in? Has anyone here used Molyslip for a long time? Has anyone here had any negative effects when using it?