Brake fluid swap - should i take it somewhere good

marzman

Hey,

I need to get my brake fluid changed within the next week, and for all simple work i take it to my local where my mate does work as a foreigner (and i dont mean he blacks himself up).

He replaced my rear disks and pads a few weeks ago, and will be doing my front discs and pads early next week.

However, i've got braided lines to go on, and want a full fluid change... should i trust them to do it at the same time as replacing the disks (if i give them the order of the calipers to bleed), or should i leave this part to a more technical garage - which will no doubt charge me double what my mate charges, and it'll cost more as they're doing it from scratch anyway.

I think basically what im asking is - can anything get f*cked up if you do the brake fluid change incorrectly, or can problems be sorted with just a bit more time?

Hey,

I need to get my brake fluid changed within the next week, and for all simple work i take it to my local where my mate does work as a foreigner (and i dont mean he blacks himself up).

He replaced my rear disks and pads a few weeks ago, and will be doing my front discs and pads early next week.

However, i've got braided lines to go on, and want a full fluid change... should i trust them to do it at the same time as replacing the disks (if i give them the order of the calipers to bleed), or should i leave this part to a more technical garage - which will no doubt charge me double what my mate charges, and it'll cost more as they're doing it from scratch anyway.

I think basically what im asking is - can anything get f*cked up if you do the brake fluid change incorrectly, or can problems be sorted with just a bit more time?

I'm sure he'll be fine - I managed to do mine myself with no major problems, so a "proper" machanic should have no problems. Just remind him that there are two bleed nipples on each caliper.

Make sure he sticks to the right order, remind him 2 nipples per calliper, and not to let the fluid resevoir run dry. If he does all that, its easy as pie. Make sure you go to help out pumping the pedal and filling the resevoir with fluid and jobs a good un :thumbs:

Cheers guys, i feel a bit better now. I usually end up helping them out as you say chris. I once spent an hour sat 10 feet in the air in my car on the lift as they were trying to diagnose a brake problem on one of my old bmw's.

...and yes i have non brembos (doesnt work out any cheaper though - you cant get hold of stock disks for it, so im having slotted dba's on the front @ £300 for the pair!)