Abbey Motorsport Stock Ecu Flash - My experience

andymc

I thought it was about time I did a write up of my experience with the ECU flash package now available through Abbey Motorsports.

As a few of you are aware there was a rolling road day at Surrey Rolling Road on Saturday. Around x16 350z owners had their car tested and the results were surprising for a few of us, me in particular. I have the VQ35HR engine in my MY07 roadster. The book HP is around 313 and some months ago I installed the Nismo dual CAI so I was expecting at least 315. To my surprise the car only achieved 288. The operator believed it to be running too rich. I was disappointed but not too much as I knew I had it booked into Abbey on the Monday.

On Monday morning I arrived at Abbey. The first thing that caught my eye was the 350z Dragster having some work done on it. Looks lovely, and I'd love to hear it being started up. I strolled around to their reception area where I met up with Mark Gillam who's their tuning expert. He talked me through his plans for my car and I mentioned the above RR day and showed him the results. I then collected my courtesy car, a 'GT-R' ... but unfortunately in number plate only (xx GTR) ... the car itself was a Micra... but as they said - the plate alone must be worth an additional 50 HP :teeth: I had another quick nose at 'track addicts' 350z - those turbo's are the size of bin lids!

2 days later I get a call from Mark. He's run the car on the (hub) dyno. These were the figures:

- stock ECU and stock air intake = 315 hp

- mapped ECU and stock air intake = 321 hp

- mapped ECU and Nismo CAI = 318 hp

The results are very interesting, on a number of levels. Firstly, the stock car is strong, reading a touch higher that the 'book' numbers - a good starting point. Secondly, the tuning Mark did was only able to find 6/7 hp. This shows that the engine itself (VQ35HR) is very good - as is. Thirdly, the Nismo CAI's do not appear to work at efficiently as the stock ones, on my car. The UpRev software used during the remap was measuring the Air intake temperatures. It turns out that with the Nismo's installed the intake temp was 15 degree's higher than that of the stock air intakes. Moreover, when the bonnet was opened the temps dropped... which seems to me that this is an unfortunate case of heat-soak! Anyway, looking at the graphs I can see that the amount of torque available, almost across the whole rev range is increased by '10' after the remap/tune on stock filters.

A few other points of interest. Mark adjusted the throttle response. If I remember correctly, I don't think 100% throttle is made available until around 3-4000 rpm. It is now available, when I want it. Also, the UpRev software allows for multiple maps. I now have 3. One for the stock ECU, one for the Nismo ECU and a 'Valet' map which limits RPM and top speed so those who take the car for a 'test drive' cannot thrash it! These maps are changeable via the cruise control switches.

So, how does she perform. Well, baring in mind that I've been driving around with the Nismo filters on for the past few months and arguably running at 288hp - there is a difference and it is a noticeable one for me. Throttle response was great... it really does jump when you want it to. When overtaking, you really can feel the additional torque at work, right the way up to the red line ... it brings back that original child-like grin when you first booted your 350z. Ultimately, I am very happy with the results.

Now, some of you might look at this and think "its only 6hp". Yes, but I have a higher starting point with the HR engine. Those of you with the 276hp model will probably see greater gains after tuning. Let's not forget - its not all about the numbers. The 'pulling power' of my car is noticeably improved, the throttle response it great and let's face it - we all know that if you are after serious improvements in BHP then FI is the way forward - but if you are after a more 'polished' finish on your car - then this is a good option; 321hp isn't a bad number!

So, a big "thank you" to Mark@Abbey for his work on my car and thanks to Mr.Baker who highlighted this opportunity to me.

For those of you with the 276HP and 300HP cars who are also interested in this package - give Mark or any of his colleagues a bell or email. Details on their website.

very interesting, i'm glad my my06 has the k&n typhoon with airbox. thought it would be the best choice.

got to think what my last few mods are going to be before i go and get a tune up.

got Typhoon CAI, true dual exhaust, and soon to get Carbon plenum with built in spacer.

question is do i stop there or do i go and do the manifolds first and possibly sports cats before an abbey tune up.

i kinda want manifolds for the improved noise, especially if i can fit myself, but not sure i want or need the sports cat as i don't want raspy.

Good write up there Andy.

I didn't think 288 was too bad a figure at the wheels, the 313 quoted by Nissan is PS not BHP. The BHP is more like 309, and earlier cars seem to loose similar amounts though the trasmission on the dyno. Furthermore having the Nismo CAI on a stock ECU will not get you any gains, the ECU dials them out.

Looks like a good result if the cost was reasonable.

I didn't think 288 was too bad a figure at the wheels

It was 288 at the fly ;)

Nothing ground breaking there Andy, but shows that these things (remaps) are consistent. As you say, no major HP gain, but drivability is the key thing it adds.

WRT the Nismo intakes, did they do any rolling intake temp tests? Via my car PC and OBD hookup, I can see that on the dyno, my popcharger gets majorly warm, about the same delta in temp you see witht he Nismos vs stock. On the road however, they give about the same temps, but I think the popcharger would flow more so does have benefit in real world. Should also be noted that in the States, the stock 06+ airboxes are quite widely regarded as the best intakes for NA tunes.

WRT the throttle response, on my 276, you can never achieve full throttle, at any revs. Again via OBD, the highest I've manged to get is 87% throttle. So again this is another benefit of the remap as it allows you full throttle whenever you like.

Ultimately I think you have proven again that the remap does work, but you have to go in with the right expectations which you did. It does however make me wonder why your reading seemed to be so down on the SRR dyno? Bad case of heat soak? Or maybe Mark and Adrians cars are running a more power than we think. Certainly shows you need to get mods dyno'd before and after at the same place on the same day to prove they've worked and just forget about the headline figures.

Never been to a dyno myself, but in my mind I am thinking that a rolling road misses one vital thing.

Airspeed entering the front whilst on the road.

I know there are fans placed infront of the car, but do they blow air replicating speeds in excess of 100mph?

My thinking is that on the road, the faster you go, the faster the airspeed.

Any thoughts or am I being silly?

Never been to a dyno myself, but in my mind I am thinking that a rolling road misses one vital thing.

Airspeed entering the front whilst on the road.

I know there are fans placed infront of the car, but do they blow air replicating speeds in excess of 100mph?

My thinking is that on the road, the faster you go, the faster the airspeed.

Any thoughts or am I being silly?

no your right but this acts more for air cooling than for air entering the air filter. it will help reduce heatsoak, but will only make a difference on intake up to a point. as the engine can only deal with so much air.

I'm just thinking of those that have a long CAI setup with a scoop in the grill, which should end up working like a RAM air intake.

Not only would more air flow in, but as the airflow is forced into one direction, surely it should push the surrounding hot air away from the air filter, and perhaps even more so if you have a vented bonnet.

288 at SRR.......Things dont add up with that place :bangin:

Remember that SRR was with rollers and Abbey uses a hub dyno, so it's expected to show different figures.

If I read the past threads right, the manner of strapping down also plays a factor, so if SRR did strap down tight, then lower figures would read as the car cannot "climb" the rollers.

288 at SRR.......Things dont add up with that place :bangin:

Remember that SRR was with rollers and Abbey uses a hub dyno, so it's expected to show different figures.

If I read the past threads right, the manner of strapping down also plays a factor, so if SRR did strap down tight, then lower figures would read as the car cannot "climb" the rollers.

Yeah i know matey just puts things into perspective regarding my car too and also not to take rolling roads are a true output of your cars power

I didn't think 288 was too bad a figure at the wheels

It was 288 at the fly ;)

Nothing ground breaking there Andy, but shows that these things (remaps) are consistent. As you say, no major HP gain, but drivability is the key thing it adds.

WRT the Nismo intakes, did they do any rolling intake temp tests? Via my car PC and OBD hookup, I can see that on the dyno, my popcharger gets majorly warm, about the same delta in temp you see witht he Nismos vs stock. On the road however, they give about the same temps, but I think the popcharger would flow more so does have benefit in real world. Should also be noted that in the States, the stock 06+ airboxes are quite widely regarded as the best intakes for NA tunes.

WRT the throttle response, on my 276, you can never achieve full throttle, at any revs. Again via OBD, the highest I've manged to get is 87% throttle. So again this is another benefit of the remap as it allows you full throttle whenever you like.

Ultimately I think you have proven again that the remap does work, but you have to go in with the right expectations which you did. It does however make me wonder why your reading seemed to be so down on the SRR dyno? Bad case of heat soak? Or maybe Mark and Adrians cars are running a more power than we think. Certainly shows you need to get mods dyno'd before and after at the same place on the same day to prove they've worked and just forget about the headline figures.

Think thats got something to do with the Butterfly on the TB not opening 100% .... Cause I belive non of the 350z's do... Unless you have a piggyback:ninja: I dont know if you can set this on the reflash...

Am going to try and get to see Abbey to get mine on there setup very soon to see what mine reads... Am happy that mine is doing what it says as its been the same on 3 so far... More from reason of research than anything! Mark (Abbey), drop me an email if your reading this about when you can fit me in!

Nice write up Andy.

Definitely going to be recommending HR customers to stick with the stock airboxes and Cosworth panels in future then as that is a fair difference.

OK - but don't forget - after the ECU flash and re-tune ... there was only 3 hp difference.... and to be honest I will probably go back to the Nismo's because the sound is awesome over stock .. and I think I can handle a 3 hp drop ;)

:teeth:

Think thats got something to do with the Butterfly on the TB not opening 100% .... Cause I belive non of the 350z's do... Unless you have a piggyback :ninja: I dont know if you can set this on the reflash...

Reflash can offer this - UpRev offer it as part of theirs and so too do Technosquare. :thumbs:

OK - but don't forget - after the ECU flash and re-tune ... there was only 3 hp difference.... and to be honest I will probably go back to the Nismo's because the sound is awesome over stock .. and I think I can handle a 3 hp drop ;)

:teeth:

This is true, the sound is really appealing, and that is why you bought them in the first place :teeth:

great write up Andy. How much did it cost if you don't mind me asking

The Abbey UpRev flash package is £345.00 (inc VAT)

I'll be looking forward to seeing what numbers we get from a stock 276 and stock 300. :boxing::p

Thats a great price. Is that for their "generic" map where they just stick the map on for you with no dyno tuning? Or is that with some dyno tuning too?