Paintwork Quality

Rob_Quads

Seems like I have to be very careful of stone chips and also corroded Rays alloys! Glad to hear that Boxters are peppered as well and some have even worse corroded alloys. Had a 240Z in 1972 and if I remember that did not suffer from stone chips . Unfortunately it did rust by the hour- bubbling on the front wings after 12 months. So I am returning to the Z after 35 years. The worst car I ever had for stone chips was a TVR Griffith in blue. However the red Griffith I had was OK. It makes you wonder if some paint colours ARE more resistant.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Seems like I have to be very careful of stone chips and also corroded Rays alloys! Glad to hear that Boxters are peppered as well and some have even worse corroded alloys. Had a 240Z in 1972 and if I remember that did not suffer from stone chips . Unfortunately it did rust by the hour- bubbling on the front wings after 12 months. So I am returning to the Z after 35 years. The worst car I ever had for stone chips was a TVR Griffith in blue. However the red Griffith I had was OK. It makes you wonder if some paint colours ARE more resistant.

LOL ... I had a 260z new in 1979 .. yes no chips but needed new wings inside 2 years...well it would have done if it hadnt ended up on its roof :blush:

Rather alarmed to see these postings on 350Z paint. I have a Ebisu Black Roadster on order for Jan. 2007. Are all Zs that prone to stone chips? Have had a TT Roadster for 5 years and just a couple of stone chips in that time. Have heard that blue is a "softer" paint and is more prone to chips. Is that true? Perhaps forum members can give their views as to the susceptibility of stonechips on different colours.

Have had a Kuro Black X-Trail for 3 years and the paint quality seems fine. Perhaps Nissan are cuttting costs on paint thickness just on Zs??

Why not get it Paintshielded before the stones get at it and there is a nice Forum Discount to be had too. Check out the forum discounts section for more info or do a search on paintshield.

:welcome: by the way

Bloody hell! I took a look at that website - I never realised just how complicated the business of polishing cars could be. :headhurt:

Any idea how much they charge for that type of work?

If you're referring to polished bliss then what gets charged I'm unsure of but I know how much I'd be ;) I think it's around the £200 for all bodywork and wheels to be done. Maybe the interior too.

As was pointed out to me , it's a detail, not a valet.... :surrender:

• 2 months later...

The paint isues with Zeds just seem to be getting worse, we just had to turn away a client for the full frontal treatment because the car had obviously had a respray and there was almost NO clearcoat on there, the muppets who did it did not even take off the number plate plinth and sprayed around it :( Makes me so mad to see naff workmanship like this, done before he collected the car.

We are seeing more and more really bad resprays so think about protection long and hard before taking the car on the road.

Cheers

Tom

My blue's well peppered too, don't think its just the blue either mate. Seems to be that everyone is complaining about the chips regardless of colour, your X-Trail sits far higher though so probably explains why you haven't really experienced many.

not just Nissans suffer from this , most low sports cars I have owned seem to get their fair share of chips , the Porsche Boxster S I borrowed at the weekend was peppered... ask the lads who saw it . plus the wheels had corroded to buggery.. all at 40K miles (worse than any Zed I've seen )

Completely agree Tim, and the Elise and current loan car (MX5 - BEHAVE!!) which only have 200 miles on the clock is falling foul of stone chips. Low cars will tend to get more, especially our sportier numbers being pushed through the air at greater velocity than average I suspect! ;):)

The paint isues with Zeds just seem to be getting worse, we just had to turn away a client for the full frontal treatment because the car had obviously had a respray and there was almost NO clearcoat on there, the muppets who did it did not even take off the number plate plinth and sprayed around it :( Makes me so mad to see naff workmanship like this, done before he collected the car.

We are seeing more and more really bad resprays so think about protection long and hard before taking the car on the road.

Cheers

Tom

To be fair Tom, that's not a Zed issue as you have put, that's resprays that can affect any car.

I doubt colour will make any difference to whether they chip - it might not be so obvious if the colour is closer to the primer colour i.e. black stone chips look much worse than those on a silver car.

Digsy will be OK his is undercoat colour to start with ;)

I doubt colour will make any difference to whether they chip - it might not be so obvious if the colour is closer to the primer colour i.e. black stone chips look much worse than those on a silver car.

:bleh:

PS Rob, I do realise that the colour won't effect the strength but I wondered whether Nissan had taken the opportunity to play with the mix at the same time given all the paint problems experienced on the Zed. :)

:bleh:

PS Rob, I do realise that the colour won't effect the strength but I wondered whether Nissan had taken the opportunity to play with the mix at the same time given all the paint problems experienced on the Zed. :)

As a small level of defence, use Auto Glym Ultra Gloss Protection to provide some level of protection against the nasty stones!

Cheers

Tom

To be fair Tom, that's not a Zed issue as you have put, that's resprays that can affect any car.

Well yes and No as it was allegedly done by a Nissan Dealer prior to the customer getting it (supposedly an ex demonstrator) :)

Cant be absolutley certain that the dealer did it just waht the customer was told :(

Cheers

Tom

I had a terrible respray done on a past car by a dealership. Had to go back as it was covered in overspray and very badly blended.

Me too, and bought a car that had been very poorly done too (it didn't last long!). My point was only that a respray is pretty much out of the control of Nissan GB, or the arm of Nissan that manufactures them. :)

Greetings from Scarborough, I've been reading through the forum for a while now and picked up some very useful tips/advice :) Thanks!

Further to the bad respray job on my front end, I've been quoted £160 + VAT to have the bonnet resprayed and the wings blended, here in Scarborough. I shall then be covering it until I can return to Paintshield to have the full frontal undertaken (OOOH Matron!).

Thankyou Tom and Ann for being so accommodating, looking forward to seeing you again very soon.