Bloke nailed my door! Need advice!

TPO

Hi all,

Parked in Bannatyne Hotel carpark - been walking past the car to/from spa today, every time checking the doors. Came back from spa to find different car next to mine and a load of damage to the passenger door!!! :angry:

Hotel has checked the CCTV and it's a bad angle to see, but he's the only car to have been next to mine since we had checked it last. The marks all line up to his door and there is some of the scrapped off paint stuck on his door still!

We happened to still be around downstairs when we saw a couple leaving, I watch from the reception and see he's the owner of that car - so I go and ask him (politely) if he had seen the damage done to my car. His instant denial response and subsequent abuse made it obvious he knew what he'd done, and he was insisting the damage didn't line up by opening his door and trying to hit my car again - ignoring the fact that he and his wife were not yet in the car as they would have been when they originally opened it!

He refused to discuss the matter getting more and more abusive until driving away. I have full photos of the damage and of his car and of his car next to mine and with his door open on mine (not quite lining up because he wasn't in the car; no offense but they weren't petite and you could see as each of them got in that the front of the car lowered each time).

Given his refusal to discuss and his increasing belligerent manner, I said I would go through his insurance.

Now, advice required:

- What do I need to do to maximise chances of a successful result given his denial? We have to wait until 10am tomorrow to contact Elephant for a claim number. I have photos and the hotel can confirm he was the last person to park next to my car.

- How much is it likely to cost to repair? I can't tell if the silver marks will polish out or not, but the top mark is clearly through several layers :( . The corner of the wing mirror is marked too.

Photos are here: http://picasaweb.google.com/thepolite1/2009_08_22Bannatyne?feat=directlink

Please help! We've had the car two weeks and can't believe it's been hit in a nice hotel carpark of all places - I'd thought seeing the car still there meant it'd be ok but seeing as he fecked off instead of admitting it...

Thanks,

-TPO.

Even though it appears obvious it was him it is still his word against yours I reckon. This could be tricky so even though you are rightly fuming be careful because it may be just better to get a detailer on it and see if you can sort it rather than risk your no claims etc! But infuriating!

Yeah - it's annoying the CCTV doesn't cover that side of the car. I've since moved the car on the advice of hotel staff so I'm directly under the camera by the front car - I'm not putting it past him to have a go when he's back from his dinner!

I'm hoping it's not a lot to repair that top mark but it's on the seam and I don't know if that makes it harder to fix?

We'll find out tomorrow what Elephant say, you're right I don't want to affect my no-claims at all but I would have hoped it'd be off his insurance!

Just couldn't believe how rude he was - at least his wife had the decency to look embarrassed at his behaviour, shouting his mouth off.

i good dent and chip repairer would change between £60 - £100 depending on the damage. might be worth gettingg a quote first.

also you may find that your excess is more than the cost of the repair. its one of those things you have to sort yourself, its very iunlikely that the insurers will pay out.

yeah, the attitude makes it even more likely but my guess is his insurance company will say no. If he says he didn't do it and you can't actually prove it then that's that. It does look pretty vicious damage i have to say - not your normal door dings and with a decent gap between the two cars as well! Don't know what your weather's been like but maybe the wind caught his door and smashed it against yours hard. Having said that you'd think if he'd known that and had half a brain he would have quickly cleared off and parked elsewhere! Horrible feeling when your pride and joy gets hurt but hope you get it sorted out soon.

Sorry to see that dude, but as Nixy says, as long as he denies it and there is no proof otherwise then his insurance company will refuse any claim. They are not in the business of giving money away unneccessarily :dry:

Just get it done yourself and move on. After scratching everyone one of his panels whilst wearing a a balaclava on your way out :lol:

It's lovely weather here, certainly not windy. Having a lovely time really apart from Mr Cretin! Looks like I'll just have to arrange a detailer to check it out - anyone here from the Woking area with any recommendations?

Sarnie, if only I could disable the CCTV for a few minutes...sigh :evil:

It's lovely weather here, certainly not windy. Having a lovely time really apart from Mr Cretin! Looks like I'll just have to arrange a detailer to check it out - anyone here from the Woking area with any recommendations?

Sarnie, if only I could disable the CCTV for a few minutes...sigh :evil:

Looking at it I doubt a detailer could sort that. Make it look better maybe but not repair to the standard of the dents away guys that do these things for a living.

Gets my blood boiling, really does!!! :rant:

In the guys deffence tho, he did do a mighty fine job of parking his BOAT there!!!!!!! :angry:

And to add to my anger iv just heard rumor that there is a serial "keyer" in my village, fan-bloody-tastic!!! :scare::scare:

Help us all :headhurt:

Quick update, my wife called her insurance just to see what they said and they reckon there's a good chance of his insurance paying out given the photos apparently, so we'll log the claim and see what happens, if they don't have any joy then we'll just get it done by ChipsAway or whatever's local to us (used them before when my old car got keyed and was very happy with the result and service).

Fecking idiots, I despise people like that!

Quick update, my wife called her insurance just to see what they said and they reckon there's a good chance of his insurance paying out given the photos apparently, so we'll log the claim and see what happens, if they don't have any joy then we'll just get it done by ChipsAway or whatever's local to us (used them before when my old car got keyed and was very happy with the result and service).

I'd get a quote first from ChipsAway and see how much it will be. There have been reports on here of premiums being raised for "non-fault" claims. I would get it from the insurance company that this claim wont effect your premium, as for the sake of £100 with ChipsAway it might save you more than the premium will go up because you've had a claim.

Fecking idiots, I despise people like that!

I'd get a quote first from ChipsAway and see how much it will be. There have been reports on here of premiums being raised for "non-fault" claims. I would get it from the insurance company that this claim wont effect your premium, as for the sake of £100 with ChipsAway it might save you more than the premium will go up because you've had a claim.

Yes, my sentiments exactly. I would definitely rather pay myself than affect the premium!

On happier news, I've just washed the car prior to having it serviced on Saturday and a little bit of AG SRP later I've removed the two lower marks as I'd hoped would happen B) , so it's only the top scrape that needs doing :) Oh, and the little scratches around the car that were there when we bought it...

Cant you pay the DVLA for his address? Im sure you can do it with good reason to do so. Simple, get his address, turn up about 3am and beat the sh!t out of his car with a golf club!.....Cough cough....Its not going to take away the damage he's done to your car BUT how much satisfaction would you have from it!? What an absolute nob! Really winds me up to hear things like this! :rant:

What a scumbag :angry: Hope it get sorted out fast :thumbs: Nearly had someone smash the back end of my daily drive a couple of weeks ago. Woke us (and our neighbours) up at about half six in the morning, got to the street to see a pair of 45-50ft skidmarks ending jsut short of the bumper :angry::angry::angry:

technically the chap left the scene of an accident without giving his details - a criminal offence.

His car hit your car, regardless of the fact it was an opened door that did the damage - imagine if a parked car rolled into the sid eof your z cos the dozy owner left the handbrake off, thats an accident that you'd claim on their policy for, so's this.

Call, or go and see your local plod explaining you have the photographic evidence and cctv, + discribe his manor and they will be interested as the can prosecute the ignornant ****

Hmm interesting idea, but I'm thinking the police won't be too bothered over £60-100 worth of damage? I did think at the time that not giving details was iffy but everything about him was!! Think Frank Butcher from Eastenders, he was that kinda character! Need to arrange quotes for Tues/Wed, then we'll get back to the insurance company.