Immigration/Year out/Travel - Oz and SE Asia

ab350z

G'day folks,

So I sold me car almost 3 weeks ago now and the money hasn't been put towards new metal yet. As each day passes I get increasingly frustrated living in this country if i'm honest and since graduating from uni 5 years ago and missing out on the opportunity to join a few mates that did the whole travel thing (one is now permanent resident in Perth, Aus) I still can't shake the feeling that I've missed out. Worked 6 months in Angola that really opened my eyes my working abroad :scare:

Just wondering if anyone on here has been out that way, how they got on finding work (already spoken to a couple agencies that have 'promised' work but cant always take them seriously). Flights are sorted as i've still got 100k airmiles not used and the visa option i was gonna take was the 1 year travel working visa.

Any advice/experience is welcome.

Can't help you on the working side of things, but did take a month off trecking around Malaysia and Australia - best holiday I've ever had without a doubt. You're correct about one thing - it makes you realise how big and fantastic the world is and I say do it. :)

Also makes you realise how badly the UK government rip us off just for living a normal life. In Oz, residents there were thinking I was taking the mick when I said how big a normal house was and the size of a typical car - "no bl00dy way we 'ave that 'ere mate. Ya gotta live a lil after'all don't ya" was often the response. :dry:

I've told myself that by the age of 30 I don't want to be living in the UK and i'm sticking to it. Just got to have a few years of amazing zed fun first though touring through Europe, etc.

The onyl downside to living away is taking breaks anywhere else. We take hoping on Ryanair, etc for granted and go to Italy or Spain cheap - whereas all other parts of the world have pretty big flight and holiday costs so they usually take a break in their own country (which is usually hot any way).

I appreciate that you have the airmiles but dont rule out using cargo ships. Many will take supernumeries and you will get to see a lot of the world at a leisurely pace. :)

If you find the right one you get to see lots of less frequented places and will have a great time.

i was planning to do the whole travel thing this year but priorities and plans changed but that changed the fact i still want a year away

spent few months in hong kong and some time in dubai and it made me more wanna travel

if i were you and someone has just put money in your pocket *couch* then take the oppurtunity and do it ohterwise you ll regret it for years

i'd love to do it, i have dual nationality for australia, but now that I'm married i doubt i could get my wife to move out there. she did all the traveling stuff when she left Uni, but i spent the time sorting out my career, and playing with cars. i kinda regret sometimes not doing much traveling, wasn't until my honeymoon last year that i had stepped on a plan or even had a holiday in 8 years. went to france for the first time 2 weeks ago since my last visit 15 years ago at school.

thats the thing with the curent setup over here, the longer it lasts the more people will leave, and usually the ones with the qualifications, brains and skills.

• 2 weeks later...

Decided to take the plunge. Flights booked, 7th January to Singapore, month based there to see Thailand, Vietnam, Cambodia and hopefully Hong Kong then down to Sydney........ Visa applied for, just the year working holiday but hopefully get some good IT work and never have to return to the UK!

A couple of things to consider, will you cope with the heat? It does get very hot in Auz over Summer. Also flights given it's the other end of the world if you have any emergency trips back to the UK, not cheap. I hope your experience is a good one, and you enjoy your move. :thumbs:

I fella i work with has the distinction of being deported from Oz, he overstayed his work visa by a couple of.... years! :lol: They eventually caught up with him when the police found him drunk in a doorway. He spend two weeks in a detention center (i.e. Prison) before being shipped home.

Banned from Oz for 5 years i think, he's straight off back there next year when his ban's up though :D

Have a great time!

pmsl, deported from Ozisn't that like a historical oxymoron. :lol:

my wife loved it out there as did my parents, its on my list of places to go, i'm sure you'll have a lovely time.

if you fill a posistion which is classed as a shortage area, you'll have no problem getting a permanent visa.