Shiny black car, scratches and magpies.

Mark-UK

OK so it's like this, I park my car at night in a gated yard, im more or less in the country and there are hundreds of bloody magpies around, the cars shiny black and every few days I notice new mini scratches on it that appear overnight, usally its like 3 in a line side by side like Wolverine lol or like a mini claw.

Im wondering if its magpies as they hang around the area the car is in and all I see where I live and park the car are magpies who I thought like shiny things, at night the cars really shiny as it reflects the moon etc so a few people have said it could be magpies pecking or scratching trying to grab the reflection etc, anyone ever come across something similar?

Definitely not cat claw scratches. My cat jumps on my car all the time (bloody thing - especially when I've just washed it of course) but they all tend to land "flat footed". My mum's cats do the same if they ever jump on the car, always flat footed, so don't need to worry about cats at all (you'll at worst just get some nice little paw prints). I would suspect it could be birds as they have "talons" or claws which some can't or don't retract. If the marks are on the roof or bonnet then that's what it probably is. T-cut should get rid off most of the scratches you've photographed. I had much worse scratches and due to the very soft paint jap cars have the scratches came out so easily (not like german cars which are lacquered much thicker and as such scratches much harder to get rid off). I use "Car Plan t-cut" from Halfords and it is very good stuff.

Definitely not cat claw scratches. My cat jumps on my car all the time (bloody thing - especially when I've just washed it of course) but they all tend to land "flat footed". My mum's cats do the same if they ever jump on the car, always flat footed, so don't need to worry about cats at all (you'll at worst just get some nice little paw prints). I would suspect it could be birds as they have "talons" or claws which some can't or don't retract. If the marks are on the roof or bonnet then that's what it probably is. T-cut should get rid off most of the scratches you've photographed. I had much worse scratches and due to the very soft paint jap cars have the scratches came out so easily (not like german cars which are lacquered much thicker and as such scratches much harder to get rid off). I use "Car Plan t-cut" from Halfords and it is very good stuff.

NO & YES:

I can definitely confirm ....ing cats do scratch ZED bonnets as they slide down to jump off, or when they jump on they find the shiney surface means the claws come out for grip - seen it several times happen to my car and got the evidence left to prove it, hence I am no fan of them :dry:

Just recently I witnessed several crows on the bonnet of a car bonnet parked outside Sainsburys at Epsom. They had dropped some food scraps from an overhanging tree that had got caught where the wipers sit - the scratches left on the bonnet of that car as they fought over the scraps were unbeliveable (it was a citreon) :scare: Needless to say I make sure we never park under trees there now, as the crows are always around.

So Mark-uk, I reckon you are right about the magpies - is a car cover the answer - dislike those things myself, but if you can live with one....... :surrender:

Just recently I witnessed several cows on the bonnet of a car bonnet parked outside Sainsburys at Epsom.

Sorry, read that post with a typeo, made me chuckle!! Now hoof marks would be a worry...

I cant remember mark, have you got off street parking? but not under cover? I did see some pretty cool pull over shell covers...

Maybe in this instance a car cover might be a good idea. ;) If it's not shiny, maybe they will go find something else shiny to scratch.

I can definitely confirm ....ing cats do scratch ZED bonnets as they slide down to jump off, or when they jump on they find the shiney surface means the claws come out for grip - seen it several times happen to my car and got the evidence left to prove it, hence I am no fan of them :dry:

They sure do. I like cats, but not when they are anywhere near any of my cars. :angry:

I have a similar problem with Children + Football..... They were warned not to scratch my car..... guess what... hmmm a scratch appeared on the bonnet from a football :boxing:

Told them to get lost and play some where else..... then a large crack appeared in my windscreen :angry::angry::angry:

FFS....... then the RSPCA call saying we have been reported for cruelty to our dog.... :angry::angry::angry::angry:

So now I have a wireless camera hooked up to catch the buggers. I am sure if you get one you will see whats causing the scratches. works a treat even the bushes moving sets it off :thumbs:

by the way RSPCA confirmed we never will or have mistreated our dog :#1: Yay Ambey

The camera is this one with the PCI card for your computer...

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=224374

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=46113

Hope you catch whatever is causing the damage

I spy with my little eye...er I mean wireless camera... some children trying to nick my valve caps - - - again !!!!

Except this time I have nice shiney ones which you cant get off without a special tool :thumbs:

Spoke to parents concerned last night, who were suitably mortified at the footage. Explained situation (see above post).

I think I have nipped this one on the bud before any thing more serious occurs. :D

1 x air rifle

1 x scope

20 x tea/biscuits

1 x all nighter

there wont be any left :teeth:

pigeons sit on the cars at my work, not on mine yet though, fingers crossed. although the shart on it frequently :\

+1 got to be the best option :teeth: would be fun too