Nissan 370Z and GT-R test drive - my review

InsanezeD

Ok, yesterday I test drove the 370Z and the GT-R on Nissans high speed test track, this event was open to Nissan staff.

I wanted to test drive the 370Z, as some of you already know I've got a 350Z so I wanted to compare them as the 370Z is likely to be my next car, so up I went to the test track and was taken around the track for 1 lap as a passenger so as to be briefed and shown around it, braking points etc, although I've been round it before but as you all know it doesn't matter how well you know or can drive on a track, it's how it is on the day, so everything you know, forget it.

Then I took the wheel for 4 laps, and gave it the full moo, the guy in the car asked me if I'd been in it before because I seemed familiar with it right away, but thats because I've got a 350Z I explained, I saw 148mph on the long straight and took the racing line on exiting the bends on lap 3 although that was not allowed, he said it was ok having assesed my driving in the first 2 laps, but I'd have done it anyway.

The 370Z seems to accelerate ever so slightly quicker than the 350Z, but thats me really trying to find a difference, there was not much in it however that car had 31 bhp on my 350Z, I think it had slightly more midrange torque due to the extra 200 cubic centimetres displacement, slightly more responsive handling but again bearly noticeable, other than that and the obvious styling differences there wasn't much in it.

The 370Z is a real drivers car in every way, Front Rear layout and really makes you feel part of the game and in touch with it as with the Z cars before it...

Then after the 4th lap I was directed back into the layby where the GT-R was waiting...

The guy said to just get straight behind the wheel, so no messing about jumped straight in, adjusted the seat and steering wheel, seatbelt on and planted it, I didn't think it was possible for a car to take off like that without breaking traction, I could almost hear the road being tore up in it's wake as it savagely attacked the tarmac, and the poise through the corners almost defies physics, not to mention acceleration from any speed out of the bends, at one point I checked the speed at 40, I was doing 40 to let the Zed get some distance before I floored it, and when I did it was passing 125mph within a few seconds, at which point the guy in the car with me said to take it easy as the tyres wouldn't see the rest of the day, it was on it's 3rd set just off this weekend.

I was flagged in after lap 1 for a friendly warning that if I continued to drive like that the tyres would let go, so for the last 2 laps I kept it below 100mph. Oops my bad, but the funny thing was when I was told to take it easy I just thought HOW? HOW can you take it easy in this AND on a test track aswell?

Seriously though, in comparing the two cars, I have to say that the 370Z was for me my favourite, It was everything I thought it would be, awesome handler, awesome acceleration, it's a true drivers car, and makes you feel involved, makes you feel like a driver.

The GT-R, now thats just an unhinged animal, it's brutal. it's so fast that it's just no fun, you don't feel in touch with the road, you don't feel a part of whats going on, it makes you feel out of the picture, it's hell and all of hells contents in the form of a car, it's automatic although it had flappy paddle shift, but it'll only do what it wants, it'll only change down when it wants to, not when you want to, so you leave it in AT, all you need to do is point it in the direction of what you want to be dead and press the go pedal.

The GT-R drives you, you dont drive it, by the end of lap 2 I was bored of it, yeah it's brutally fast, but anyone can get into one and drive it fast, and this is what worry's me, if I was a kid circa 21 with too much money and I got one of these for my 21st birthday I wouldn't see my 22nd. This car needs an age restriction of 30 applied to it.

The GT-R is an awesome feat of engineering, and is stunning from every angle, but takes the driver out of the game, and I'm sorry to say thats not for me.

When I returned at 2pm I took the Murano out for a test drive to restore my cool in it's leather clad luxuriousness, and it worked perfectly, but I won't go into that one lol.

I'll have the 370Z !

Nice write up and no, of course we ain't jealous :dry::lol:

How did you find the auto blip on the downshifts (in the 370) - does it actualy help to smooth out the changes when giving it the proverbial beans :)

Nice write up and no, of course we ain't jealous :dry::lol:

How did you find the auto blip on the downshifts (in the 370) - does it actualy help to smooth out the changes when giving it the proverbial beans :)

Good question, I drove the car very hard, and the auto blip was right there to smooth out the downshifts perfectly, and these were real aggressive downshifts too ima.

Poor car was probably glad to see the back of me.