Paint or powdercoat??

GT4 Zed

I have always powdercoated my wheel for that race car look B) because i was told they last longer but for my next set of wheels i am considering just a paint job ( done profesionally of course :p ) if this true? what are the pro and cons for each process?

The wheels are two piece 19" with polished deep dish rims and gloss black centers and i want transform it all mat black or gloss black :cloud9:

what do the people think?

what would suit best my kuro black zed?

http://www.kentcustoms.co.uk/acatalog/shark.jpg

Powdercoat, the coating is far harder wearing as I found out when my rims were originally refished with wet paint and it flaked away within a few weeks, had them powerder coated and its lasted much longer :thumbs:

If done properly then painting will be OK and should not flake. The problem is specially with wheels with funny shape spokes etc its a lot of prep work to make sure its all done properly.

That said Powdercoating will always give you a tougher finish due to the the thicker better bonded layer (due to baking)

Stonechips from my 70 mile a day journey killed the painted finish. But agree if done properly wet painting should be pretty hard wearing. Powdercoating will always be harder wearing though :)

PC for me but as Rob says check how they heat them to finish the coating... It has been known to crack wheels... And not just GT4's I think Envy posted up on one of the forums about acceptable temps some time ago.

If you want a 2nd opinion try wickedwheels in crawley, bit of a trek for you but I have used them and am very happy with the results!

PC for me but as Rob says check how they heat them to finish the coating... It has been known to crack wheels... And not just GT4's I think Envy posted up on one of the forums about acceptable temps some time ago.

If you want a 2nd opinion try wickedwheels in crawley, bit of a trek for you but I have used them and am very happy with the results!

+1

• 4 weeks later...

I was planning on refurbing my LMGT4's myself with some spray cans....but considering I do a 60 mile a day journey that probably isnt going to hold up...so im gonna go for PC instead....crawley isnt to far from me...how much did they charge for all 4 wheels?

Think it was about £75 a wheel but then I had mine split as they are 2 piece and I only had the rims painted...

I think its about £60 per wheel for a 1 piece....

And all is holding up well now, so they have stood a couple of months driving :thumbs:

• 2 weeks later...