z needs good clean...recommendations?

mylesmcg

i just got my 04 gunmetal z and i really really want to attack it with the cleaning products. can anyone recommend products and where to get them? i hear alot of people talking about clay bars on here and waxing straight after

thanks in advance for your advice :thumbs:

lots of people use lots of things, all depends on what you want to pay.

as a good midrange of products at a good price and good quality meguairs is good stuff. i use all there things and get a very good result. can be got in the forum or direct from them or from halfrauds. there products are also very usser friendly.

dodo juice come well reccomended, as do poor boys (i use there leather care)

If you are new and trying things out, go for the sample kits or panel pots. They are significantly cheaper and usually have more then enough to get a whole car done..........irrespective of the name panel pot!

I started off on Megs stuff, but will be testing out some dodo juice kit in the near future. The thread that Martin has put up though is full of good advice to get you started (its what I used) and the traders here really do stock everything you need.

Good luck and take some pics when you are finished :) We all love pics :)

wash

clay

Clearkote Vanilla Hand Glaze

dodo juice purple haze

:thumbs:

i've tried lots of products on gunmetal and unless you are going to machine polish this is the best combo imo

also zaino works well

you could also use a sealer if you have the cash :thumbs:

IMAG0625.jpg

IMAG0504.jpg

IMAG0505.jpg

If your not too much of a brand whore you can get most of your stuff from halfords. You can't really go wrong with meguiars stuff its pretty well liked with amatures and professionals alike.

Here is my recommended must gets:

Kit:

2x Buckets (1 for washing 1 for rinsing your washmit), cheapo's from halfords or tescos will be fine.

1x Washmit (preferably sheepskin or the like something with a deep pile), available from Halfords for around £10

1x Sponge or another washmit (this is for doing the surface of your alloys) again Halfords £couple of quid.

1x long reach alloy brush (try and get one without the wire core as I find they keep bending and breaking), Halfords again.

2x Applicator sponges (for applying wax/polish/rimwax/alloy sealent etc), the meguiar ones from HF are good and one about a fiver.

1-2x Large weaved drying towel (essential for drying without dragging grit all over your nice swirl free paint), you may have to look online for one but you can get a very good quality one for around £10.

1x Pack of microfibre cloths (for polishing/buffing and cleaning) Halfords £5ish

1x Pack fine wire wool (for your tailpipes)

Lots of rags for engine bay. exhaust and general dirty bits.

Product Suggestions:

Clean - Meguiars Gold Class or NXT Gen Shampoo (Halfords)

Alloys - Bilberry (Buy online) PM Bulletmagnet for dilution ratio's (sorry mate) :blush:

Clay Kit - Meguiars Clay Kit and Quick detailer pack (Halfords) £25 ish

Exterior Plastics - Poorboys trim restorer (Halfords)

Interior Plastics - Meguiars Interior Detailer (Halford)

Engine Bay - AG Engine Deagreaser (Halfords)

Polish - Wouldn't worry about this too much as GM is quite forgiving with swirls and hand polishing is quite hard work for little gains.

Wax - I would recommend Colinite 472, a very hard and duarable wax, also works great on alloys (interweb)

Autosol - Tailpipes (Halfords)

Leather - Any leather cleaner and conditioner will work ok.

Wheels/Tyre Shine - Meguiars Hot Rims (Halfords)

So as you can see for your basic needs Halfords is fine, as you get more into detailing you will move on to different products.

I would also suggest you save up for a decent powerwasher/foamlance and snowfoam, it helps no end on the initial cleaning stages.

Good luck and happy cleaning

R B)

Bilberry dillution ratio: 1 part Bilberry and 1000 parts water...... :dry:

But seriously, if you use Bilberry on regular Zed wheels, I believe that a ratio of 1:5 will do.

If you have wheels with polished lips like me then dillute even more to avoid what happened to me. (Or don't use Bilberry at all for wheels with polished lips)