Can a Zed go on a ferry

nicon2k

Guys, just discovered this thread. I'm off to the Isle of Wight next weekend with my Zed and I've a few concerns about getting on/off the ferry.

Prior to having the Zed we've always taken Red Funnel across from Southampton but I'm now thinking this might not be a good idea.

Which ferry is the best option to avoid scrapping the front or exhaust of the car? It sounds like Portsmouth/Fishbourne or Lymington/Yarmouth? I would like to take the Zed over there but, to be honest, if there's any risk of getting a scrape or a knock I think we'll take the better half's car.

Any advice or experiences will be gratefully received and taken note of

Cheers :)

I've had my lowered Zed across to France on Speedferries (Now LD Lines) sea cat.

No probs for me at all. Staff were really helpful, and stood by with wooden blocks.

Start work for NorfolkLine on Wednesday, so I shall let you know what those ferries look like for lowered cars

Thanks for the replies guys.

My Zed is stock height with no mods, it's pretty bog standard to be honest, so I'm hoping I won't have any problems!

It'll be interesting to get your views on how things look with NorfolkLine when you start with them on Wednesday Lexx (hope you have a good first day!) :)

hadn't thought about this. forget the ferries, i want to hear more about peoples experiences of the eurostar. i'm booked on it for the beginning of next year, not sure if we should take our other car now although it won't be nearly as fun.

train, you wont have any problems there mate...

Boat is a different story, Dublin - Holyhead on the Seacat is no problem... took the Calais - Rosslaire one (on bike mind) and there isnt a hope in hell that you'd be able to get the Z off in Rosslaire! I think it's down to staff to help you on though, might be better to reverse it on :lol:

Ok, as a follow up I thought I better let everyone know how I got on getting across to the Isle of Wight.

Friday:

Decided to go by Red Funnel in the end as its easiest and quickest to get to for us. Got there to get onboard the 19:30 ferry across to East Cowes and got lined up with everyone else. As they called us forward I was relieved that we got directed to the lower deck and so we drifted down to the ramp, took it nice and steady and got on no problems at all. Got to East Cowes about and hour later and again rolled off, nice and steady, without any issues. Surprised at how easy it was to get on and off without any problems.

Saturday:

Time to come home and we get down to East Cowes in time to get the 18:00 ferry back to Southampton. Get called forward and I'm expecting to get put on the lower deck again but get directed to the upper deck taking the ramp. I guess I should have refused and told the guy directing us on I was only going to get on the lower deck, anyway, I didn't and nervously I headed up the ramp. Took it very steady and managed to get up and on to the upper deck no problems, which I have to say was a relief. I had got up there ok but was a bit concerned if I would get off the ramp from the top deck back at Southampton.

I spoke to a couple of the deck guys and raised my concerns and they were pretty good, said they were a bit surpised I'd been sent on to the upper deck but they'd keep their eyes open for me as I went down the ramp at Southampton. A slightly nervous ferry ride back to the mainland followed not helped by the appalling weather. Docked in Southampton and then came the test. The first part of the ramp down is pretty easy but it it has a tight bend halfway, took it nice and slow there and managed to get round that bend ok on to the final ramp down to the ground.I have to say I was a bit nervous of grounding the front but again took it very slow and steady and managed to get off the ramp without any problems.

So there you have it, seems to prove that I can get on and off the lower and upper decks of the Red Funnel from Southampton / East Cowes without any major issues in my stock height Zed if I'm careful. Nice to have the Red Funnel deck chaps advice and eyes open for any problems though.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for being so late in posting, but didnt have access to net on the ship.

Ok, for those of you planning on using Norfolkline (soon to be DFDS we think) on the Dover to Dunkirque route, this is my sinopsis....

If you have a standard Zed, not lowered, and with no front lip on, you should have no issues at either side of the corssing, and if you are directed up to the car deck (deck 5) you will have no issues clearing the ramp ( I sent a Night Blue one up last week as a test, and there was loads of space.

If you have a low/long front nose, or lowered suspension you should still be ok to get onto the ship. When the guy tries to usher you up top, just ask politely if you cad stay on Deck 4. I usher lower cars onto deck 4 before they even ask, but incase the officer forgets, then just ask.

All of what I say with regards to the getting on and off the ramps is not to be taken as Gospel, and I am in no way liable if you damage your car. The angle of the ramps in both ports varies depending on the load status of the ship, and the current state of the tide, and the capability of the link span operator (who works for a diff company, so no use harassing Norfolkline staff about that).

Also in Dunkirque, there are 2 berths that are used.

Qui De Ramsgate is the normal one, and is suitable for almost any car.

Qui de Alsace is used in strong SW'ly winds, and has a "kink" in the link span. This can mean that you can get off the ferry onto the link span, but sometimes the span can have a dip in it which may cause issues for exceptionally lowered cars.

In the past 2 weeks Ive seen all manner of TVR's, Porches, Evora's, Elises etc, and none have recieved any damage.

Hope this is of help to some people.

Al