Reliable Performance Increase / Tuning

bengrice

I wouldn't spend any less than £10K going FI, and that might not even include the regulation brake & suspension upgrade for that amount.

Tbh the best thing you can do is go and read up about the differences between turbos and superchargers (which it looks like you've done already, so top marks there) and then go and drive some OEM models. A good couple of choices would be a 2L TT and a 230 SLK, as that'll show you the difference between what a turbo feels like compared with a supercharger, and in comparatively similar cars.

I wouldn't spend any less than £10K going FI, and that might not even include the regulation brake & suspension upgrade for that amount.

Tbh the best thing you can do is go and read up about the differences between turbos and superchargers (which it looks like you've done already, so top marks there) and then go and drive some OEM models. A good couple of choices would be a 2L TT and a 230 SLK, as that'll show you the difference between what a turbo feels like compared with a supercharger, and in comparatively similar cars.

ive driven both turbo and sc and i also had a mini cooper s (and i must say i love the whine of a sc) and i have no real preference i am more interested on which is 'better' and less stress on the car.

right 6-10k, does anyone know of any banks preferably easy to rob? :teeth: lol ill start saving some more pennies then and in the mean time do some more reading.

one last thing, does anyone know a good reputable uk seller of the Nismo 2 body kit, or good quality replica?

thanks for all your input guys

ben

ive driven both turbo and sc and i also had a mini cooper s (and i must say i love the whine of a sc) and i have no real preference i am more interested on which is 'better' and less stress on the car.

right 6-10k, does anyone know of any banks preferably easy to rob? :teeth: lol ill start saving some more pennies then and in the mean time do some more reading.

one last thing, does anyone know a good reputable uk seller of the Nismo 2 body kit, or good quality replica?

thanks for all your input guys

ben

There is no such thing as "better", it all depends on what you want from a car. Zero lag is preferable for ease of use and track work, turbo power is great for overtaking on the road. A well set-up turbo kit can be under less stress than a poorly done S/C, so it all comes down to how you want the car to drive above anything else. If it's ultimate reliability you're after then you don't want to be going FI at all, as there's always an element of risk no matter how safe your setup.

There is no such thing as "better", it all depends on what you want from a car. Zero lag is preferable for ease of use and track work, turbo power is great for overtaking on the road. A well set-up turbo kit can be under less stress than a poorly done S/C, so it all comes down to how you want the car to drive above anything else. If it's ultimate reliability you're after then you don't want to be going FI at all, as there's always an element of risk no matter how safe your setup.

I just wonder what you want to do with the car?

You want to smoke corsas at lights?

Race AMG cars on the motorway?

Show up at a track day and try to keep up with elises?

Drift like DK?

Or just make the car feel torquier?

Sorry for all the questions but it might help people give you better options.

I just wonder what you want to do with the car?

You want to smoke corsas at lights?

Race AMG cars on the motorway?

Show up at a track day and try to keep up with elises?

Drift like DK?

Or just make the car feel torquier?

Sorry for all the questions but it might help people give you better options.

thanks for the replies guys.

i have been searching round already and reading up however i cant seem to find anything about reliable tuning.

most talk about the different types of tuning eg turbos and what performance they offer etc but know one seems to talk about how the car is to live with and if other problems occur as a result of tuning eg my bros r32's dash lit up like Christmas with all sorts of weird lights from emissions to oil? things like he had to go back to fit an oil catch thingy to catch overflow oil, but i would have thought the people who fit the kit would have knew that. ps he didn't use a back street chop shop before you ask he used 'amd technik' which are apparently meant to be very good?

i was thinking turbo and heres why (here is my twisted logic lol)

superchangers give power from the get go where as turbo have the lag. now i was thinking that having that lag we be good as not to stress things further like clutch, 1st gear etc until the car has got moving then the power would kick in? therefore i was thinking a turbo would be less 'harsh' on the engine? what do people think?

i suppose my questions is 'turbo/supoerchanger' or 'other mods' eg exhaust remap flywheel etc etc

i don't really have a budget, basically if i don't have enough ill get more money, if i do ill spend the extra on petrol driving it round lol

a good starting figure would be 1 or 2k or am i pissing in the wind here :doh: and need alot more money

cheer

ben

a turbo will never be less stressfull than a supercharger. Superchargers give a smooth power curve from the get go, but a turbo will give a torque spike at the point of spool. this sudden spike puts a hell of alot of stress on engine components esp the clutch and not to mention the heat.

I used to own a Golf turbo and i can confirm that AMD technik are "ment" to be the elite of VAG tuning.

So for reliability and daily driving its a supercharger everytime.

hope this helps

Gilly

• 3 weeks later...

Depends on the year of the car (what version of the VQ motor you have). Forced Induction has it's ups and downs. Mostly downs if you consider the amount spent. The nice thing is that the VQ motor responds well to some basic parts and a good solid tune. The UK cars now have the ability to use our Uprev Osiris software, and we have two Pro Tuners at this point to serve you.

Intake and exhaust parts are well known and a basic search on the forum will probably point out far more information than you ever wanted. I always recommend that a customer purchase an exhaust based on the sound because they have to live with it rather than the performance gains. Intake parts are a bit easier, the plenum spacer by any company will net you an increase in power, some are just easier to install. The various intake tubes have different sounds, but not too different so chose them based on cost vs. performance, or if you'd rather have polished aluminum tubes vs. plastic.

Cams, headers, etc can be a bit more difficult to choose, and are far more expensive to install. The VQ motor has good head design and responds well to either or both mods. When it comes to Cam choice, it makes a huge difference in the viability of it based on the motor itself. If you have a DE VQ then I personally say it's not worth the money spent. The DE uses small crank bearings, and isn't very reliable when used at anything over stock RPM limits. The Revup VQ is worth the expense of cams + install + tuning. It can handle the higher RPM and aftermarket cams can make power up there with no head work. The big thing with Cams and Headers is you absolutely will need a tune. The stock ecu settings aren't capable of understanding there is better flow, there is no MAF sensor in your exhaust. So in general the cars will run lean with headers or cams. Aftermarket Cams also gain a fair amount with proper adjustment, so some extra dyno tuning on that can net you as much as an additional 20whp above what the cams themselves make.

The good thing about these mods, is that if installed properly, and on a motor that is in good condition... With a solid tune the car shouldn't be any less reliable than when it came in. Don't push the RPM limit of the motor, enjoy the huge torque curve, and have fun in the car.