Exhaust earth strap snapped - need advice please

Spen

I was just having a butchers under the back of the car and felt around the flange on the main silencer to find the earth strap bolted on. I touched it and it just fell down loose! :yuck:

It's obviously snapped at some point but I'm wondering what it actually does? Perhaps just a safety precaution or like I've read somewhere to remove static from the exhaust system and help with the flow!?? :blink:

I was wondering if anyone knew where it connected at the other end...like under the car? I couldn't seem to find the other half of it.

If someone does know where it connects, I don't suppose you know the length so I could get a replacement from a normal motor factors or perhaps an original part from the stealers??

Thanks a lot in advance :teeth:

The earth Strap is required if possible, they are cheap to replace but i would recomend that you fit one.

The reason it is there is because althought the exhaust is bolted to the engine which is earthed, at 100MHz the impedance along

the exhaust is high which makes a nice aerial and can cause interference with your radio etc so the strap eliminates this.

hope this helps ?

:thumbs:

coops

The earth Strap is required if possible, they are cheap to replace but i would recomend that you fit one.

The reason it is there is because althought the exhaust is bolted to the engine which is earthed, at 100MHz the impedance along

the exhaust is high which makes a nice aerial and can cause interference with your radio etc so the strap eliminates this.

hope this helps ?

:thumbs:

coops

+1 and it fits from the differential aluminium cradle to the exhaust flange bolt/nut.

I use general household earthing wire with a couple of connectors crimped on. :thumbs:

Thanks a lot for that I feel better now :D nice explanation coopers86 and ta for pointing out where it goes ZMANALEX.

Definately sounds like a better explanation than "to remove static from the exhaust" :p