DIY install of Lowering Springs?

nurrish

Hi Nurrish,

I fitted my springs and ARB’s with the help of a friend who is a regular mechanic. We managed to fit them in a few hours in my garage with basic tools and a spring compression kit.

You will need to release the front shocks from the top mounts (they drop out easily enough) and the rears are nice easy – no need to touch the top mounts.

Please ensure the springs go in the right way around… They look symmetric but the bottom with have a flat edge so they sit right in the cup. I doubt ‘cup’ is technically correct name but you will get my drift ;)

This guide is pretty hand too - the pictures are good for reference.

viewtopic.php?f=35&t=17865

Good luck.

Matt

Me and my old man fitted owering springs to my renault 5. We just used some clamp type things (that are made for compressing springs) but one of the clamps came loose and a fully compressed spring almost took my old mans head off! :lol:

Anyway, you can probably borrow them if needed.

I did mine aswell, fell out with one bolt, (lower strut one) but other than that not too bad at all, rears are unbelievably easy!

Photo295.jpg

Couple of tips, try and soak everything the night before in penetrating oil, 3in1 penetrating oil from halfords was may fave, much better than wd40!

Try and buy new bolts to replace old item, - not a neccessity but its always a nice to have. And DONT use Bihex sockets! Some of the bolts are v.tight and require a fair bit of tq. A decent set of hex sockets and a large breaker bar and you are well alway!

Dan

I did mine aswell, fell out with one bolt, (lower strut one) but other than that not too bad at all, rears are unbelievably easy!

Photo295.jpg

Couple of tips, try and soak everything the night before in penetrating oil, 3in1 penetrating oil from halfords was may fave, much better than wd40!

Try and buy new bolts to replace old item, - not a neccessity but its always a nice to have. And DONT use Bihex sockets! Some of the bolts are v.tight and require a fair bit of tq. A decent set of hex sockets and a large breaker bar and you are well alway!

Dan

Good advice as always Dan.

• 1 month later...
1 question though is the eibach toe/camber kit required or a nice to have?

Difficult question to answer, depends on the drop and the car itself. The Zed has limited adjustment available, so even on a small drop, some cars have enough adjustement to bring it back in, some dont. Personally, I would be prepared with a kit to hand when getting alignment done, just in case. They arent that expensive, much better than going through tyres every few thousand miles! :thumbs: If you use a good garage to do the allignment, then if they cant get it within spec they can fit the new bolts and try again.