Dash / cluster lighting tri clolour LED

Husky

Has anyone thought of putting tri coloured LED's in the dash so you can pick what colour you want? I was thinking you could have the middle gauge blend to red when revs are high :teeth: I figure if im going to pull it apart i may aswell do a proper job of it all. B)

So if your wondering what a tri colour LED is then:

http://www.maplin.co.uk/noframes/Tri-Colour_LED_26361/Tri-Colour_LED_26361.htm

and if your a little more interested in how it could be controlled then:

http://www.epemag3.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=330&Itemid=1

This may be a plan!! :dance:

Has anyone thought of putting tri coloured LED's in the dash so you can pick what colour you want? I was thinking you could have the middle gauge blend to red when revs are high :teeth: I figure if im going to pull it apart i may aswell do a proper job of it all. B)

So if your wondering what a tri colour LED is then:

http://www.maplin.co.uk/noframes/Tri-Colour_LED_26361/Tri-Colour_LED_26361.htm

and if your a little more interested in how it could be controlled then:

http://www.epemag3.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=330&Itemid=1

This may be a plan!! :dance:

Think you'd be suprised at the amount of work involved mate... i've only ever seen 1 person thats swapped the LEDs in the dash and that was in the states... and i think it was a massive job!

Think you'd be suprised at the amount of work involved mate... i've only ever seen 1 person thats swapped the LEDs in the dash and that was in the states... and i think it was a massive job!

The guy that originally did it (forget his name) now does it as a business. I think he had it down to about 12hrs work :scare: Its a lot of soldering and very complicated small SMD LEDs by the sounds of it ;)

Hmm :blink:

thanks for the input guys :thumbs:

I know i can work out the electronics side of it. the fitting in the Z though i have not a scooby doo about? ive never taken the dash apart as ive only had it for a few days :lol:

Few people done it in the states now, have a look on my350z and search for the user name of Acree and you will find the info on all the bits you need!

Going to read now.

[someone just turned the heating on full blast in the office :yuck: i may not live long. :wacko:

It's a good idea if you can get it to work.

Why not buy a 2nd hand dash and fiddle with that, then if you break it no problem and your car isn't off the road.

Also, when you swap the dash, you have a new one to play with and sell on to prospective buyers (on this forum :teeth:)

here we go:

Hmm i think a spare dash is a must!! will make a nice centerpeice on the coffee table :teeth:

Where do i get a spare dash....?

This does indeed look like a big job. got to work out if its going to look B) enough to be worth it...

ontop of all the work that this guy is doing i would have to add in circuitry to control the colour of the LED's, possibly on thier own little network...

if i have a spare dash hanging around i think i would reupholster it at the same time :teeth:

this is how good plans form...! (and take over your life)

Few gauge clusters available from zmanalex I think, and you can get other dials too when you swap!!

I think R35Lee had a center guage pod!!

Oh and dont forget about the ones in the door and whilst your at it, wire up a few LED's into the red reflector in the door card!!

Let us know how you get on! You'll need tri-colour SMD LEDs if they even exist! I'm pretty sure the LEDs in the dash are SMD LEDs not normal 3 or 5mm jobbies

http://www.led.net/products/ProductsDetails.aspx?WP=C421K446#1485

after a really quick search so at least we know they exsist.

problem is if they are surface mount adding in any kind of control for the tri colour will be difficult <--optimistic

anyone know where there is a pic of the instrument cluster with the front ripped off?

Let us know how you get on! You'll need tri-colour SMD LEDs if they even exist! I'm pretty sure the LEDs in the dash are SMD LEDs not normal 3 or 5mm jobbies

http://www.led.net/products/ProductsDetails.aspx?WP=C421K446#1485

after a really quick search so at least we know they exsist.

problem is if they are surface mount adding in any kind of control for the tri colour will be difficult <--optimistic

anyone know where there is a pic of the instrument cluster with the front ripped off?

Yes I think you will struggle with tri-colour SMDs as they have 6 legs whereas the standard ones have 4, and obviously the PCB has 4 holes too. I guess you might be able to mount them off the PCB, but space will no doubt be tight! :scare: I'm 99% sure that the LEDs in the speedo cluster are SMDs too.

OK, so im willing to give this a go but i need an instrument cluster!

a manual 2004 one would be lovely. Anyone got one hanging about they wouldnt mind getting rid of?

I looked on Shebay but no joy :thumbdown: either that or i can go to the breakers.

Few gauge clusters available from zmanalex I think, and you can get other dials too when you swap!!

I think R35Lee had a center guage pod!!

pm R35Lee or Zmanalex - im sure one of those 2 can get you one

Cheers guys, done :thumbs:

Good luck, I've been waiting for someone in the uk to do this

Thanks. I peel cars apart to test for a living and dont give a t**s but when its my own i get all panic'y and noobish :dummy::lol: