Headlight issues

rtbiscuit

The saga continues.

3 months ago:

my horn would go off when i turned my lights on to dipped beam. as soo as it was turned off it was fine.

2 months ago:

drivers side stopped working completely

1 week ago:

replaced all bulbs, passenger side still not working, think it mught be the ballast and ignitor.

today:

got back tonight from a french trip. turned on head lights passenger light comes on for about 1.5 sec - 2 sec and then turns its self off. if you turn the lights fully back off and then on it repeats the process. so ihad to drive home with no headlights.

am stumped as to whats causing it. think that all isusues are all linked. don't want to go and spend £100 for new ballast qnd ignitors if its omething else.

Could be earth problem. I don't think so though as your lights are coming off then going off straight away. If it was an earth you would see them go on and off repeatedly. Things to check: 1. start with arch liners to see if they are damaged or letting water get to the rear of the lights. 2. try and lend a light as a few guy on here have damaged ones that still work. 3. wiring / connectors.

If i can help any further help I have send you my number in a PM.

Hope you get it sorted :thumbs:

Cheers R35LEE, i think it all started after the grounding kit went in, so my first test is going to be to take off a couple of the leads near the headlights and the retest to see if they come on and stay on.

as for the arch liners, they are in perfect nick.

the back of the HIDS when i cahnged the buls had a bit of dirt on them but i don't think they are leaking.

me and BM checked out the wiring a while back and couldn't find any damage.

i might need to source a good auto electrician, but i don't know any in the suffolk area

R35LEE whats your location. and thanks fo rthe offer, i might take you up on it if i strike a dead end.

just checked all the grounding kit earthing points, and have moved any which shared an original earthing point and it has made no difference. looks like i'm going to have to source some new ballasts and ignitors.

interesting twist tonight, went out for a drive and the drivers side dipped is working again.

maybe the moving of grounding kit points and time to mull it over has corrected the problem, which should mean i need just one ballast and igniter now. i'll still order 2 i think but i know stew wanted the other so we'll go halfs.

have contacted a breakers database online and asked for quotes on the parts so will hopefully get them in the UK. there are loads on ebay but they're all in the USA. so it makes it expensive once you add on postage.

Remove the entire grounding kit to see if that cures the problem, or at least rule it out before you start shelling out for bits. It's too coincidental that this all started after you fitted it.

i've moved the points they mount on to at the front of the engine bay. there were 2 points that that i used which already had earthing cables from other areas connected to. i've moved off them and it seems to be better.

i'm going to leave it a week and see if the porblem re appears. either way i'll still need one ballast and igniter as the passenger side is still dead.

Hmm, you remember that I copied your exact grounding points for when I fitted mine?

So it seems awkward that yours is playing up.

Got a stupid question tho. Yours is a 06 reg car (even tho it is a late registered 05), doesn't it fall under some sort of warranty issue?

It's not like it's a regular wear and tear item. It's a safety item that shouldn't fail like this, right?

Did you "pinch" any wiring when fitting the K&N Typhoon kit?

Hmm, you remember that I copied your exact grounding points for when I fitted mine?

So it seems awkward that yours is playing up.

Got a stupid question tho. Yours is a 06 reg car (even tho it is a late registered 05), doesn't it fall under some sort of warranty issue?

It's not like it's a regular wear and tear item. It's a safety item that shouldn't fail like this, right?

Did you "pinch" any wiring when fitting the K&N Typhoon kit?

fell out of warranty in april. hence the arse ache i'm going through with nissan GB to sort the clicking rear axle.

as for fitting the typhoon system, all wiring was intact.

.........News Flash Update...............

drivers side has gone out again, but i've found the problem,

water

when they last stopped working it had rain then as well.

looks like i'll have to replace both. does anyone know if its possible to but some kind of water barrier or seal around the ballast to stop water getting at it?

• 2 weeks later...

right update...

got the new HID ballasts and igniters, had a go at fitting one on the side that had died first, but nothing what so ever has come on. which has puzzled me, i'm wondering if i have overlooked the most simple of things.

i had a look in th engine bay fuse box but couldn't see any fuses for headlights; so my latest question is

where are the headlight fuses?

are they independent fuses i.e. one fuse per headlight? or are they one fuse for the system?

i didn't try the other side of the car as it was starting to rain, i don't think its the new kit i bought so my guess is fuses, after that i'm really stumped.

i had a look in the engine bay, checked both boxes in the battery area, but could seem to see anything for headlights, other than the washer relays. can't seem to find the one in the foot wells, i have checked both so where does the foot well fuse-box hide.

i've also checked the service guide thing, but can't seem to find anything relating to fuse boxes, and the bits i did find on the headlights uses acronyms i don't recognize.

some one help :wacko:

i had a look in the engine bay, checked both boxes in the battery area, but could seem to see anything for headlights, other than the washer relays. can't seem to find the one in the foot wells, i have checked both so where does the foot well fuse-box hide.

i've also checked the service guide thing, but can't seem to find anything relating to fuse boxes, and the bits i did find on the headlights uses acronyms i don't recognize.

Not sure if you if you have seen both this thread, in case it helps :)

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=5795&hilit=headlight+fuses&start=15

See the outcome on the second page - maybe your issue too? It does seem the fuse box is the one behind the battery compartment :surrender:

See the outcome on the second page - maybe your issue too? It does seem the fuse box is the one behind the battery compartment :surrender:

does that mean there are 3 fuse boxes in the engine bay?

i checked the first one you can see, and the one to the side of the battery (have to remove the plastics to see it), is there another behind the battery?

as for issues and what it isn't

changed the bulb - still not working - so not the bulb

changed the hid and ballast - still not working - so not the HID and ballast

next guess is a fuse, but i can't seem to find them all. nothig is marked as headlight only, i've seen headlight washer but no headlight.

does that mean there are 3 fuse boxes in the engine bay?

i checked the first one you can see, and the one to the side of the battery (have to remove the plastics to see it), is there another behind the battery?

as for issues and what it isn't

changed the bulb - still not working - so not the bulb

changed the hid and ballast - still not working - so not the HID and ballast

next guess is a fuse, but i can't seem to find them all. nothig is marked as headlight only, i've seen headlight washer but no headlight.

Does seem full info on fuse locations in the ZED is not easy to find, but there appear to be three boxes - the two about the battery compartment and the one in the drivers footwell, that you have found. Unfortunately having spent an hour or so trying to identify the which fuse(s) deal with the headlights is like lookking for the proverbial needle in a haystack :headhurt:

But I did come across this thread

viewtopic.php?f=27&t=19254&hilit=fuse+boxes

- maybe your problem too - see result at the end and pouring over the various search results that does seem to suggest that water/condensation issue problems causing headlights to sometimes work and sometimes, is not uncommon :surrender:

ladies and gentlemen i'd like to announce a success :yahoo::yahoo::yahoo::yahoo::yahoo::yahoo::yahoo::yahoo:

i found the 3rd fuse box, it is well hidden to the side i didn't even notice it was there, its the long tall box to the side, there was so much grim on the top it was only after i wet my finger and cleaned the top that i saw all the fuse diagrams.

its a b1tch to get the top off it, had to remove loads of popers to be able to get enough leveage to get it out. wnet through each headlight fuse, about 4 in total. by number 3 i was starting to panic as they all seemed fine. then on the last one it was there a burnt out 15amp fuse. so i nicked the one out of the horn relay as my horn is currently disabled and its from the box thats easy to get to. turned on the light and viola my head lights work.

so after a total spend of £110 on bulbs

£100 on 2 new HID ballasts and igniters

it turns out to be a 10p fuse :rant: my own stupid fault for not checking the most simple thing first. i ignored my own rule. :doh:

one thing i have noticed is that now when both lights are on the drivers side is not as bright which i do think is because of water damage. to the drivers side HID ballasts. so i will keep one of the hid ballasts as the drivers side does go out in wet weather.

this means i will have a spare new HID ballast and igniter for anyone else who is suffering the same as stew and I.

i am no longer a one eyed winker at night :yahoo:

Nice that you have traced the root of your dilemma.

Now with the lights working again, do you reckon that if you put the horn fuse back in, that it might work properly?

well i've changed all the grounding points of the kit so there should be no possible reason for the issue to reoccur. only issue is there is no point trying until i get a new fuse for the horn as i used the horn fuse to fix the lights :blush:

ok just taken the car for a drive and got 5 min down the road before passenger side went out :bang::bang::bang:

my accurate guess is that its blown the fuse again. :bang: but don't know whats causing it.

also the drivers side took 2 attempts to ignite properly so i'm fairly certain that drivers side ballast and igniter is damaged, most likely by water, so will replace that when i get the chance.

my question is now, is what is causing the passenger side to blow the fuse? could a faulty ballast be drawing too much current.

my guess is that due to the horn problem the passengers side is drawing too much current from somewhere, most likely the horn relay, but i'm unsure on wehre the 2 cross. or could it be an earthing issue else where? :doh:

anyone know of a good auto electrician, i think i've go to the point where i have to go to a pro, i can give them all the symptoms and things i've tried, and it should make it fairly easy for them to diagnose and fix.