Dole - and what weshould expect for it!!

I remember a lad, an RAF lad, who got locked up in Northern Ireland for a military offence. nothing major but it got him 14 days or so in the guard house.

He was told he would have to do certain things as part of his punishment but stated he had a medical problem of some sort (he did actually walk with a limp) and as such could not do the tasks. He was put straight in front of the MO (medical officer) who pronounced him fully fit and he was 'MADE' to do the tasks. I have a fond memory of him in his PT kit being chased by a huge angry Instructor with big boots on kicking him up the ar*e for two hours whilst he dids the task. :bangin::bangin: This only happened on the first day because for the next 13 days he did EXACTLY what he was told, when he was told and HOW he was told. :lol::lol:

It only needs a very small amount of that sort of enforcement to get things back on the right track.

If anyone wants to see how things really can change go and view the stuff MY hero does.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joe_Arpaio

I am not saying this guy gets everything right but hell HE TRIES!!

He really is worth a read and I would work for him for FUN!!

Ming the volunteer

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

IMO it's discipline that is lacking.

A clip around the ears or the occasional parental smackdown can't hurt (within reason ofc, i.e. punish only when there is a legitimate cause to)

Being chinese, and I'm sure fellow asians can sympathise, I grew up in fear of the old "bamboo duster".

But in retrospect, it didn't do me any wrong.

I learnt what was right and what was wrong.

And I'd like to say that I have grown up to be a responsible human being.

In regards to work, well...I find that pride is missing in the work place.

Sure, I'm only a docker, but I'd like to say that I do my best everyday.

Have a little pride.

I'm sick of people saying at work "Damn recession, I'd be better off stacking shelves at Tesco because of the company taking away our bonuses"

I'm usually cool about it, but sometimes I'd want to break out a theraurus and show them the definition of the word "bonus".

Some guys don't realize that they need to tighten the belt a little in these times, live a little leaner for the time being.

It's not the companys fault that regardless of current financial climates around the globe, they still choose to live a lifestyle they are accustomed to.

Make some sacrifices already.

I always say to the guys you can actually talk to "Well, tbh, go outside these dock gates and find me a job that pays what we get paid for the amount of work we actually do...You will not find it"

and in most cases they agree with me.

Sometimes, dockers just wind me up, just shut up and do your job.

It's not like there is never gonna be ships in the sea, it's not like the UK will never stop importing stuff.

Sorry for going on abit..

Oh is it that time of year again?

Emperor Ming for PM! :teeth:

mingmercy-431x300.jpg

I agree we should change the benefits system and we should bring back some more discipline (sounding like my dad now!)

Everybody knows the system is not working but no one has the b@lls to do something about it!

On another note if it was'nt for the Eastern Europeans or anyone else for that matter doing unwanted low paid jobs who will do them? I've always got excellent service from these people working long hours and with no attitude just friendly service even though they have probably been there over 14 hours! Not all of them are good you alwaysget rotten apples everywhere.

Lets not start generalising here - not everyone is the same and not everyone is after money for nothing but yes I agree the ones that are need to have their attitude realigned shall we say!

Unfortunately one word sums all of this up in the UK - SELFISH! Thats all it is - you see it on the roads you see it in shops you see it at work -its about looking after yourself first! Thats the biggest problem, thats whats changed in our country over the last few years. :surrender: No Government is prepared to change the laws to do something about it.

I've been on the dole for a few months - I hated every minute of it - all I could think about was to find a job as soon as I could and I did! I got off my ar@e and I did it - but then my mindset is different to a lot of people now?

sorry ranting now.... :blush:

Hi Stan

I agree whole heartedly that we should not generalise.

A good friend of mine is an immigrant who has been in England about 5 years. He has worked flat out since he arrived and has trained and qualified as a mechanic when English is his THIRD language. (He is half Iranian and half Egyptian)

He works extremely hard and always provides an excellent service. He has been victimised and racially abused at work and always miles through it all.

He is at present working for a national based firm as a mechanic. The firm has just been the subject of a take over and all the ground floor employeee's were told that there would be substantial redundancies. These places were then filled with cheap polish workers saving the company substantial amounts of money INITIALLY. I say initially as the new mechanics are poorly trained and will over time cost the firm in claims for poor workmanship.

Ironically my friend was one of the loudest complainers.

the problem i think lies in that my friend puts all his earnings back into the british economy. the new workers send 50% of their earnings back home. This is a constant bleed of gargantuan proportions. it benefits the home country of the sender as it is new money to the economy. if this ability was stopped or substantially curtailed, and many countries have now done so, then we would be much less attractive to those persons coming here for work and home grown labour would slowly refill the market.

As i said at the beginning I have no complaint at all with anyone coming to our fair country but at present it is struggling to sustain those already here and until that changes there is a definate need to stop, or radically slow down, the influx. If a British person went to Poland or Romania and asked for benefits I wonder what the reply would be?

I agree with the selfish comment to a degree as well. When our leaders are shown to behave the way many of them have recently is it any wonder the populace often seems to follow suit.

Anyway. I'm all right so stuff everyone else!!!! ;)

Ming the considered.

I think we all agree if the scumbags who sit at home claiming for all they can , watching their new flat screen tellies etc etc and actually working for a living like the rest of us there would be little need to get workers from abroad to fill the jobs.

I also agree that companies relentless search for cheaper labour and materials will eventually lead to the downfall of the country in more than one way. Think of all the skills that have gone, one day we will end up being China's workhorse you never know!

Bottom line get the scroats off their ars@s and working ,get some pride back into the jobs , treat people with respect in the street and at work then things will change around - but as you say if the rot starts at the top with MP's what chance do we have?

Emperor Ming for PM! :D

I suspect the number of white british dole claiming scumbags greatly exceeds all other nationalities combined. Certainly the amount of dole money should be reduced, and further payments for children fathered (plural? ;) ) after signing on should be stopped. I mean, if you are unemployed, you shouldn't be bloodly increasing the size of your family, contraception is free in this country ffs!

As far as industry is concerned, i suspect it is ultimately incompatible with the idea of the minimum wage, you can't have it all ways. As the average wage increases, you need to keep on top of science, engineering, and bleeding edge technologies that cheaper countries haven't mastered. The present incumbents have sevearly cut spending in all these areas, while destroying maths and science teaching in schools, so it's no wonder we have fell behind.

I suspect the number of white british dole claiming scumbags greatly exceeds all other nationalities combined. Certainly the amount of dole money should be reduced, and further payments for children fathered (plural? ;) ) after signing on should be stopped. I mean, if you are unemployed, you shouldn't be bloodly increasing the size of your family, contraception is free in this country ffs!

As far as industry is concerned, i suspect it is ultimately incompatible with the idea of the minimum wage, you can't have it all ways. As the average wage increases, you need to keep on top of science, engineering, and bleeding edge technologies that cheaper countries haven't mastered. The present incumbents have sevearly cut spending in all these areas, while destroying maths and science teaching in schools, so it's no wonder we have fell behind.

+1 :lol::lol:

just came back from a day trip to france with the school. as we were coming into calais the cutoms guys were working big time, anything bigger than a moped was being searched, and not for dodgy stuff, but dodgy people. i could have brought back 3 tons of weed, and i doubt immigration would have worried. (the school might have). apparently coaches were a new target for immigrants as they had found that they could crawl under the rear wheels and there was a small space to stand on the rear axle. every coach was getting the full treatment. apparently our coach drivers had found 1 earlier in the day on another coach.

what annoys me is that they are claiming for asylum, but they don't stop in the first country they get to a claim it. some travel through 4 or 5 countries to get here. and each one of those countries does nothing to stop them.

the french are the worst. they don't bother arresting them while they are there and sending them back. we watched loads of them crossing the motor way heading towards the terminal after being to the soup kitchen.

if our welfare sate was less attractive we wouldn't be a target. as the title explains our welfare state is "well fair"

i may not be the biggest earner on this site which means i haven't paid as much tax as them and don't envy them being shafted with the 40% stick. but i see about £700 of my money goes to Gordon, yet i don't see a valid return on my investment. (thats what we do we invest in our country and support it) we have a road network which is in poor repair and over loaded, we have a public transport network which is in bad repair, doesn't run on time and costs more than owning a car in some circumstances (price up a ticket on the train from london to edinburgh) we have a health care service which is crippled. ... my £700 is possibly paying for 7 people to stay at home that month while i work my 50 60 hour week.

my brother has not payed tax properly yet, he's still a student... and when i griped about it before he tells me we should be grateful that we have the system we have. places like third world countries don't have any of it. but as far as i concerned they're not paying for not having it either. is that a bad view to have.

ming for PM - get the scrotes back to work, earn their £100 a week

and remember imigration is not a bad thing, its our countries life blood always has been, half the stuff we have is down to immigration, a large majority of our population is made up of immigrants. i'm one (mother is australian) the irish who built a large porttion of our road network, the Caribbean's who came over in the 50's but it has to be by the book. people who are legitimatly working here who contribute to society, pay their taxes are great. if they don't then send them home.

That really is an astonishingly bigotted post and doesn't do you any credit :dry:

If you put it that way, we are all "biggots" in one way or the other.

All shapes and sizes my friend...

I'm just shocked and not only by the illiteracy of a university lecturer. Still, if it's just me...

Hi Stan

I agree whole heartedly that we should not generalise.

A good friend of mine is an immigrant who has been in England about 5 years. He has worked flat out since he arrived and has trained and qualified as a mechanic when English is his THIRD language. (He is half Iranian and half Egyptian)

He works extremely hard and always provides an excellent service. He has been victimised and racially abused at work and always miles through it all.

He is at present working for a national based firm as a mechanic. The firm has just been the subject of a take over and all the ground floor employeee's were told that there would be substantial redundancies. These places were then filled with cheap polish workers saving the company substantial amounts of money INITIALLY. I say initially as the new mechanics are poorly trained and will over time cost the firm in claims for poor workmanship.

Ironically my friend was one of the loudest complainers.

the problem i think lies in that my friend puts all his earnings back into the british economy. the new workers send 50% of their earnings back home. This is a constant bleed of gargantuan proportions. it benefits the home country of the sender as it is new money to the economy. if this ability was stopped or substantially curtailed, and many countries have now done so, then we would be much less attractive to those persons coming here for work and home grown labour would slowly refill the market.

As i said at the beginning I have no complaint at all with anyone coming to our fair country but at present it is struggling to sustain those already here and until that changes there is a definate need to stop, or radically slow down, the influx. If a British person went to Poland or Romania and asked for benefits I wonder what the reply would be?

I agree with the selfish comment to a degree as well. When our leaders are shown to behave the way many of them have recently is it any wonder the populace often seems to follow suit.

Anyway. I'm all right so stuff everyone else!!!! ;)

Ming the considered.

I agree with most of this ... but surely, it is justifiable that someone can spend (send) their hard-earned cash as they see fit. I suspect you would be very displeased if someone told you that spending it on your family was barred?

That really is an astonishingly bigotted post and doesn't do you any credit :dry:

I'm just shocked and not only by the illiteracy of a university lecturer. Still, if it's just me...

Well, I don't intend to sound offensive, but by saying that you are disappointed, aren't you profiling him?

I.e. you have a certain expectation of what a university lecturer should be, but is that just your perception or is that the perception of everybody?

I agree with most of this ... but surely, it is justifiable that someone can spend (send) their hard-earned cash as they see fit. I suspect you would be very displeased if someone told you that spending it on your family was barred?

Yes, anybody can spend their money as they see fit, as long as it stays in the same economy that it was earned in.

Think of it this way, what about you have two buckets of water. The two buckets represent the countries and the water within represents the money in that country.

Now one country has less water than the other, say the fuller bucket is the UK and say the half filled one is an eastern european country.

If you you were to syphon some water from the fuller bucket to the less full bucket, what will eventually happen?

btw, don't take everything I say seriously, I do like to mess about from time to time ;)

firstly i'm not a university lecturer, i'm a secondary school teacher, my subject background is technology specifically resistant materials, i teach kids carpentry, metal work, electronics, graphics, CAD and CAM. i have 10 years experience in industry and can rebuild you anything from a house to a car, i used to make furniture and fit aicon systems. i have 10 gcse's 4 B's 3 C's and 3 D's i got 3 a levels and a 2:1 BSc in engineering Design and Technology

if it helps at my previous school my GCSE pass rate was 95%, i've just changed schools and in my first year i look to change the current pass rate from 55% to 70% and predictions for next year are 87%.

you may ask why i'm telling you this well i'm dsylexic, reading and writing are a real struggle for me, yes my writing spelling and grammer are poor i know that, even my students know that. if i was an english teacher i'd be crap but i'm not and even with my difficulties i still get higher a-c grades than most compulsory subjects. and its not because i get all the good kids, on the contrary i tend to get all the weak students as people think its an easy subject and they just have to bang nails into wood, but few people know i have to get them to complete a 30 page A3 document to supplement their practical. and i've done all this through hard work, deternmination and sheer stubbornness (with out that i would have fallen by the wayside years ago)

i may have written a slightly biggoted view, but its what i've seen, i have no problem with people who have legitimate reasons to be here, or who have the paper work to come here, you can be black, white, pink yellow, purple or have ornage spots i dno't give a monkeys. but i expect them to; like me; to pull their weight, and pay their taxes, then like me they are free to claim benefits if they need to, have medical care, vote and even complain about the government. but if your only reason to come here is to spounge off me well bog off home i don't want you here.

but you have sterotyped me, judged me and condemned me just on what you thought (wrongly or rightly) a university lecturer should and could do. does that not make you a prejudice.

I'm not bothered what you think of me, i've taught prbably 10,000 kids now some of whom possibly owe me the only C grade they ever got at school who probably have a better opinion of me than you do (and to be honest they're the ones i'm bothered about)

if it helps i'll alter my signiture for you to give people a warning.

VVVVV

Well, I don't intend to sound offensive, but by saying that you are disappointed, aren't you profiling him?

I.e. you have a certain expectation of what a university lecturer should be, but is that just your perception or is that the perception of everybody?

Yes, anybody can spend their money as they see fit, as long as it stays in the same economy that it was earned in.

Think of it this way, what about you have two buckets of water. The two buckets represent the countries and the water within represents the money in that country.

Now one country has less water than the other, say the fuller bucket is the UK and say the half filled one is an eastern european country.

If you you were to syphon some water from the fuller bucket to the less full bucket, what will eventually happen?

btw, don't take everything I say seriously, I do like to mess about from time to time ;)

I was about to reply to this entry but I think BulletMagnet did it very well for me.

In times of affluence it is easy to be generous and let a little money slide out of the country. However we are not in those times and as such we need to tighten out belts.

An analogy might be that I work lots of overtime so allow my good lady lots of money to spend on shoes and handbags. Its Ok because I can pay all my bills and have plenty of excess. This money is leaving MY economy and going to hers. then I lose all my overtime and i can only just cover my bills so i keep all the money in MY economy and the handbags and shoes go by the way side. The money leaving the country is hand bags and shoes my friend.

I understand you comments on being told what to spend your money on - I am no fan of ANY type of censorship - however it is not what you can spend it on, more WHERE you can spend it that I think would help OUR economy.

As for rtbiscuit being a biggot. I am sorry but i fail to see how someone expressing how he physically saw something as being biggotted. i also think that there is a substantial amount of truth in what he say.

Paragraphs 1 to 4 are fact.

Paragraph 5 is a balanced 'arguement'.

Paragraph 6 is a personal experience/opinion.

Paragraph 7 is a joke based on the author of this thread - ME.

Paragraph 8 is also an opinion based on personal knowledge and circumstance (Part australian makes the author 2nd generation immigrant.

Lastly bare in mind we are all sons and daughters of immigrants. Blame the picts/scots/vikings/irish/romans for that.!! I have nothing against immigration and in times of plenty it is very beneficial to this country of ours. however at ceetain times restrictions do need to be imposed. we are in my humble opinion in those such times.

I know these sorts of threads often cause polarised opinion but please be aware of how your thread could sound to the person you direct it at. I am sure it was not meant as an insult but it could easily have seemed that way. reasoned arguement is always better and MUCH more FUN :teeth:

Ming the Placator

PS grammar and spelling are much better with a spell checker but in the absence of this you would have to type in word, check it, and then cut and paste into the thread. Personally i do not think it is that important. its the content and feeling that matter.

firstly i'm not a university lecturer, i'm a secondary school teacher, my subject background is technology specifically resistant materials, i teach kids carpentry, metal work, electronics, graphics, CAD and CAM. i have 10 years experience in industry and can rebuild you anything from a house to a car, i used to make furniture and fit aicon systems. i have 10 gcse's 4 B's 3 C's and 3 D's i got 3 a levels and a 2:1 BSc in engineering Design and Technology

Blimey. Makes my 5 'O' levels look a bit weak!! LOL

Can you fix my, central heating system, leaky guttering, broken bit in my motor cycle engine, dodgy external hard drive, awkward daughter. :lol::teeth:

In a similar vein my younger brother left school with a single GCSE. A grade 'C' in art.

He is now a fully trained motor cycle mechanic, a professional woodsman, he is 'hot hands' trained for 37,000 volt live work on the power system, he is an HGV driver and runs a junior drag bike team. (Guess who builds the engines LOL) I have never EVER met a man better with engines. Oh and he runs his own business. Like you if he cant fix it it cant be fixed.

Ask him to write a letter or even a birthday card and he struggles but does it bother him. Nope. does it bother his very satisfied customers. Nope again.

Ming the impressed.

Thanks Ming. Sorry if my reply was a little angry last night but I was a tad miffed. I couldn't work out what spelling and gramma had to do with the validity of my post. It made me feel second class; that because I struggle to write things makes my point less valid. I know that's not what prescience was trying to do and everyone is entitled to a view.

Prescience sorry I went off the deep end. Hope I have 't put you off posting again. Special as your a fairly new member.

Thanks Ming. Sorry if my reply was a little angry last night but I was a tad miffed. I couldn't work out what spelling and gramma had to do with the validity of my post. It made me feel second class; that because I struggle to write things makes my point less valid. I know that's not what prescience was trying to do and everyone is entitled to a view.

Prescience sorry I went off the deep end. Hope I have 't put you off posting again. Special as your a fairly new member.

No probs mate.

I fully understand how you must have felt.

On another site that I was a member of for 5 years I put up, early doors, that I was a police officer and the thread exploded. you would have thought that I was claiming to be a bestial peadophile from the tone of some of the threads.

Now I love an arguement and am fortunate enough to be quite good with words so just decided that I was going to stand my ground and argue my point of view and in the end it went to 30 plus pages. i must have written over 30% of all the entries and was often up until 2 in the morning replying/discussing/explaining/arguing my point. this went on for days and often got deeply side tracked.

If I am honest i enjoyed the experience and made many good friend both on line and in person because of it.

The one thing that I learnt through it was NEVER to make the thread personal. direct your answer TO a person yes but never AT the person.

Many folk end up saying things in threads that they would never say to a persons face and often said in a manner they would never use in person. I do not think that this is for any reason than they are typing away in their little rooms and dont read the finished item and consider how it might sound to others. (I am doing this now - or was LOL)

I am fortunate enough to write for a national magazine and I proof read my articles, and often completely re write them, many times before I send them to be published.

What you think when you type is not always what comes over in the text.

Unless someone says 'You are a tw*t' then my advice would be to not take it too personal.

If i am right Prescience has been on the site ages?

Ming the Soother.

i'm generally quite good at not getting het up about things, and am used to dealing with negative thoughts, have been told many a time i'll never pass, or you'll never get on that course, and each time its been my sole aim to prove them wrong. it kind of motivates me to stick 2 fingers up at people who tell me i can't.

must admit i hadn't seen my last post as bigotted, but then thats my perseption i suppose. i have lots of friends, who are from all over the place, i've nearly been married to a carribean girl, and have never seen myself as racist or bigotted. lived in coventry for a while and had some good jobs, some of them where i was the minority, but i always had a laugh and had respect for my colleagues.

i don't care who i work with as long as their here legally. and paying their way like me.

we need a real shake up at parlimentary level one of our biggest problems is that governments in the UK are only motivated by short term goals. they only put forweard policys which win elections, or last for 4-5 years. no one has the guts to put some long term things in place and say, "hey this is going to be rough for a while but in 15 years time we're going to have the best imiggration/trnasport network/health care system/ education system in europe.

what we have at the moment is a load of areas which get meddled and tweaked in by each new party who come to power.

as an example there was a report done (can't remember the name off hand) on the education system and the current GCSE's it said the system was in decay and put forward a radical scheme to basically restart the education system. it had the backing of the majority of head teachers and unions, but tony blair chickened out as it was to close to an election and didn't want to rock the boat. so instead brought in this half arsed approach which is the new 14-19 curriculum. and its a bloody joke. i won't even bother going into the details of why its so crap (unless people want me to) but basically its creating a load of work, which in porbably 10 years time it will get scrapped and all the stupid hours i am putting in now as are alot of other teachers will be for nothing.

education needs to be run by the teachers, decisions should only be made by people who still work in the classroom so you can only do a 2 year stint in whitehall before you go back to the classroom to keep current.

we need to remove the large quantites of quangos/think tanks and beauracracy. apparantly in hospitals there is a 3:1 ratio thats 3 managers/consultants to every 1 doctor/nurse. is it me or should it not be the other way round.

in every facet of the UK there seems to be too many chiefs and not enough indians.

The comments here restore a little of my faith in the people of this country!

I'm not a political person, in terms of parties, but the country, nay western world we live in, has become a joke.

No longer is there right or wrong, Black and White - just a thousand shades of grey abused by the selfish dregs of society that prey on the liberal ideals of the free world.

You know why? These generations of degenerates have never known real need, they have never understood that the well-fed, well funded lifestyle they lead is an incredible privilege not a right because...

We haven't seen a real war.

Bear with me here.

You see war, horrific as it is, unites people in a common goal. Said scumbags are either drafted into service or forced into hard work producing something toward the good of the country. The idea of petty crime and dealing drugs pales in comparison to literal life or death of the free world.

War wakes up the fundamental drive in people and ignites the brotherhood of humanity.

Those of you with grandparents who fought in WW2 would no-doubt understand what I mean.

War isn't the only solution - the leaders of the western world could realise that the insidious threat of inaction will ruin us but more likely that very apathy will doom society.

Well if thats too melodramatic for you then here's a few quick ideas to sort the world out: :lol:

1. Prisoners are MADE to work. Hard labour improving roads and infrastructure: Lower road tax :yahoo:

2. Chavs, ASBO chasers and long term dole abusers are also MADE to work as mentioned. (Not as severe as prisoners but still hard work)

3. Immigrants without work are PAID to leave the country. (Japan already does this. It costs a couple of grand but costs the country less in the long term)

4. Families with no jobs, criminal records etc are PENALISED for having more children. (China already does something like this because of over population)

Right rant over. I'm sure GCHQ are all ready all over this thread so I'm off to hide under the table from MI5... :headhurt:

I agree but only for those who have been on it for 6months + I am only saying this as a week ago I was made redundant and was going to have to sign on but this doesnt make me a monkey hanging round my local estate, fortunately enough work got a big contract in and had to re employ me :D. But apart from that I whole heartedly agree with what was said.

I agree with the war comment with Phil.

I was raised by a german couple that were WW2 survivors.

My foster dad was in the Hitler youth and my foster mum was in the girls equvalent.

They knew what it was like to survive.

I'd like to hope that I learned valuable lessons from them and also my work ethic.

Just to note, just because he was in the Hitler Youth does't make him a Nazi, people didn't have much choice back in them days.

I agree but only for those who have been on it for 6months + I am only saying this as a week ago I was made redundant and was going to have to sign on but this doesnt make me a monkey hanging round my local estate, fortunately enough work got a big contract in and had to re employ me :D. But apart from that I whole heartedly agree with what was said.
Hi mate

glad they called you back. :thumbs: I dont know what you do but unless you are either very skilled or very good it would have been tempting for them to look for a cheaper option!!

this is a quote from my previous entry.

As for numbers I would not like to guess but from what I see it is quite a large percentage that wont work as opposed to cant find work.

I think it should be a time scale thing and should cut in after a certain time unemployed.

even those unfortunately made redundant should be placed on the scheme but having contributed to the state system themselves should be on a higher rate of payment than those previously described.

[/color]

As you can see i whole heartedly agree with the time scale thing. People often want to try and get thier own employment and as such they should be given a grace period.

I also think they should get a substantially higher rate for a period of time in line with their length of contribution to the system.

EVERYONE should be actively encouraged to work.

Ming the Considered.