Over night stop, midway to the hoon

Bex9

Hi,

Mike and I are thinking about stopping over night on the way up to Fort Augustus.

We managed last year but it's a hell of a long way and we didn't arrive untill about 11.30pm.

The chalet park is not the easiest to find in the dark. :blush:

After talking to a few of you in wales we did get the feeling that some of you may do the same thing.

I think it would be great to meet up, have a meal and a few drinks :drunk:, then start the second leg fresh the next day in convoy!.

It would mean gettin to F/A early afternoon.

I have put together a map and highlighted some places we could stay. Also attached is a guide to milage and times from different areas.

I realise some of you are coming from way down south, so the first options are just the other side of carlise going up to Strathclyde (south Glasgow).

It was my impression that those of you travelling from the south would rather do as much as possible in the first leg so it's a sensible distance to travel the following day to F/A.

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps/ms?hl=en- ... b16ebb&z=9

[attachment=0]Hoon 2009.doc[/attachment]

Nice work there Bex! Will get Amanda onto it, shes chief accomodation officer ;)

We are thinking of staying somewhere near north Wales for a couple of days prior to setting off for Scotland on the Tuesday, so are easy on where we stop. I'm sure Amanda will have a preference out of that lot though :thumbs:

I am heading up from glasgow on the friday i think, with possibly a few of the other glasgow boys so depending on when you guys are heading up north we could get a convoy :thumbs:

Good work Bex! When are you guys heading up? Nic and I have the option of staying at my friends in Glasgow for an overnight journey break. Would be interested in this though depending on when you are going up!

Good work Bex! When are you guys heading up? Nic and I have the option of staying at my friends in Glasgow for an overnight journey break. Would be interested in this though depending on when you are going up!

Markie i have told you before, you cant just invite yourself to my house :p

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

This is true but then you did beg me to stay!! :lol:

Markie i think those pills have been going to your head buddy :lol: Remember that restraining order i took out on you, its still valid :p However if nixy needs a spare bed am sure i could accomadate her in some way :blush::lol:

Right back on topic... after staying at the Macdonal "Portal" Hotel at Wales, Amanda and I think that the Macdonal Crutherland House is worth the extra expense over a Travel Lodge or Premier Inn :thumbs: According to google maps its about 4hrs on the first leg from Chester area to the hotel, then 3.5hrs to do the final stint to FA. Sounds about right to me :)

Just looked through the selection again, narrowed it down to three.

1.Moffat House hotel, Moffat is supposed to be fab, really pretty village with nice little shops.

2.Abington Hotel it's a little further along but a good price.

3.same as you chris, Macdonald Crutherland House £72 B&B, not bad, then it's only 3h 20mins to F/A

When are you guys heading up?

Oops :blush: forgot to add that bit.

We are going on the tuesday 1st sept, travelling up to F/A wed am.

Ah, so you guys are doing the tourist bit in the week leading up to the hoon. We were thinking of doing it afterwards. Going to be a very Zeddy fortnight in the west highlands! :lol:

Just looked through the selection again, narrowed it down to three.

1.Moffat House hotel, Moffat is surposed to be fab, really pretty village with nice little shops.

2.Abington Hotel it's a little further along but a good price.

3.same as you chris, Macdonald Crutherland House £72 B&B, not bad, then it's only 3h 20mins to F/A

Hi Bexs - thanks for starting this thread and yes June & I will want an overnight stop and had reckoned somewhere about Carlisle area would be good for us on the Tuesday night. From Surrey, with a meal and comfort stops, will take us about 6-7 hours, an hour and half of which is just getting to the M40 from where we live :dry: Be really nice to convoy at least on the Wednesday, if not the Tuesday pm as well :thumbs:

And Andrew, fraid Scotland will have to put up with us after the Sunday run as we are looking to to do the Ullapool and beyond runs then ;)

Well, if i spend the day there with m8s, i could still make it to newcastle ish area probably even a bit further in that evening. I have driving through the night, so will need to stop somewhere.

Me and Lucy are doing the Hoon plus the following week but not planned anything yet? Busy trying to think about France first and my rear pads when I get home tonight need changing :surrender:

Only thing I will say to everyone travelling a long way - you want to get to FA before dark so ensure you give yourselves plenty of time - more to the point you will be missing out on some great scenery B)

Me and Lucy are doing the Hoon plus the following week but not planned anything yet? Busy trying to think about France first and my rear pads when I get home tonight need changing :surrender:

Only thing I will say to everyone travelling a long way - you want to get to FA before dark so ensure you give yourselves plenty of time - more to the point you will be missing out on some great scenery B)

There is one big advantage of driving at night in Scotland - the moving sheds will have pulled over although the rutting season brings out a new challenge, as Andrew will testify from lasts years drive back from the Hoon to FA :lol:

Having talked it through with Amanda, we think that the Moffat is probably the best bet. The ones we originally eyed up further along the route would be a bit far for Colin I think, so Moffat is the closest really nice hotel to hit without it making the trip for us going from North Wales area too short. Not sure that makes any sense at all, basically we think its a nice medium of making progress in a day but not too long :thumbs: