The best time to buy a 350z ?

Gman uk

With the arrival of the 370z in the next month or so, are we going to see some bargin 350z for sale?, I hear that on the forecourt a 2008/2009 350z will need to be shifted, so might be sold for a good price.

What do you guys think ?, wait a month or 2 for the 370 to arrive then shop for a 350z ?

Its hard times to guess on how the used market will go, part of me is perhaps seeing less used cars due to no-one buying new and holding onto the car until things get better, but then again the other side could be that people need the money so are selling up.

I have been thinking the same thing-surely there will be 350 owners who have ordered a 370 so will be looking to sell as they come online. Hopefully more cars on the market will push prices down (although obviously this is not good if you already own a 350...). I'm also guessing that as the 06 model 350 is approaching 3 years old, some owners will be looking to sell as the warranty runs out. I may hang on for one of those cars!

To be honest I think real 350 owners are not going to be "upgrading" to the 370z, the power difference and styling is just so minimal it doesn't really justify the extra costs. Well thats my opinion anyway.

You can get some excellent deals on <2007 models at the moment, I bought mine in February and I recon i have lost around £2k already, I don't care though as I'm keeping it for a few years and i'm having too much fun.

:teeth:

R

I think alot of 350z owners actually favour the car over the 370z so dont think they will be selling up for that reason anyway. If there are 350s in the forecourt, dealers may let them go for a more favourable price though. Its anyones guess!

I have to agree on what everyone else has said so far. I've been hanging around for months waiting for the perfect zed and the prices have gone down slightly, however its not as steep as you may think (it's not worth the wait - if your going to be like that, you may as well wait another 3 years so an even more significant saving).

The general consesus seems to be that people here love their zeds and the 370z doesn't have that major "I must have it" feeling yet for most (the cars are too similar to warrant coughing up another £10k + and giving up your pride and joy in the middle of a recession).

I have no doubt in my mind that in 2-3 years it will be a different story, but for the next few months things probably won't change much.

Remember - a 350z ISN'T an investment. It's a toy - so enjoy it! :D

So the general consesus is that the 350z will not really be effected by the arrival of the 370z in the next month or 2, and really the best time to buy is now ?

btw Anubis im not waiting 3 yrs for a bargin, heheheh - months not years please :)

this have to be though carefully guys.

I have an 05 roadster and I'm not tempted by the slightest to upgrade to the new 370z. I think many of the 350z owners are sticking to the VQ35 rather than upgrading to the 370z. you also need to take into consideration the tax rise that jerry mentioned.

If you look closely at the sports car market I dont think the prices are going down as quick as they were few months ago and people are talking about prices picking up now.

its any bodys guess but I think if you find the right car for the right price and you know your keeping it then you should go for it.

best of luck to all you Zed hopefuls

You can wait for prices to come down every month if you want but being a Z newby I can tell you forget waiting and just get one as soon as you can. The feeling you get when you get in and turn the key far outweighs any depreciation you might have. This car is a special bit of kit.

For 16k+ its an investment for me :( - but that don't mean I cant enjoy it :)

I do agree that in the recession it would seem many people are holding on to their cars.

There are not many cars that are an investment. Yeah, its a relatively expensive option for a car but you can't think you are buying it as an investment - it's not going to make you money or hold its value. Infact it costs alot to run and tax in comparision to many other cars but as others have said well worth it!

If I were you I would do my homework, decide exactly what I want and then look for the best example possible. Travel long distances if need be and dont be scared to walk away if its not the one for you. Do you know why you want a 07+ model....is it just age, small changes like the bonnet bulge, the new engine? Remember the 06+ (296) models have all the other facelift features and dont quote me but think they have better mid range torque. If I am wrong someone will be along to spank me soon.

For 16k+ its an investment for me :(

If your seeing this purchase as an investment you need to rethink what you want for your money. ANY car is going to lose cash. CASH. Hard earned CASH that you takes hundreds of hours to earn! This car will drink CASH at an alarming rate if your young (insurance) and counting your pennies (petrol).

If the amount of money your going to spend/lose outweighs the positives of owning one, don't do it. To fully enjoy this and any other car, you need to remove the term 'investment' when you think about your purchase. You'll spend your time worrying about depreciation and not enjoying the car. If you can't afford to lose half your cash in 3 years don't do it, if you can, go for it :thumbs:

I think the big drop in price has already occurred as the dealers have all shifted most of the stock they have got. There 'may' be another shift once it comes out and people trade in thier 1/2yr old cars for the 370z but with the market as it is I don't think it will be a big enough seller for the market to be flooded with 350s

Actually your correct its not an investiment i mean more a commitment, and something that I will love and enjoy. In terms of running costs etc, I have owned a 2.5 litre bmw for the last 5years with no real concerns and shall be keeping this as it is a great car.

From my research, I don't really want to upset all you pre 2007 owners, but it worries me that a car that is doing so well gets a 80% rebuild on the engine, surely issues have been addressed with the previous engine. So that is the main reason, plus newer and should have lower miles.

I have only seen and tested 1 car so far, from the nissan dealer. But was not a great example, felt abused and was a 2005 model anyway. Need to try out an 07 soon.

Any tips on what to look out for, ie - funny noises, condition etc ?

There are 276 engines happily running at 100k+ mileages. I don't think I've ever heard anyone suggest that Nissan redesigned the engine because of any longevity issues with the older ones - although the 296 engines have in some cases had a huge appetite for oil.

IMHO the fundamental changes to the 313 lump were to improve performance and driveability and it certainly is a far superior, higher revving and better sounding motor than the original.

From my research, I don't really want to upset all you pre 2007 owners, but it worries me that a car that is doing so well gets a 80% rebuild on the engine, surely issues have been addressed with the previous engine. So that is the main reason, plus newer and should have lower miles.

Lol - Many many cars end up with totally different engines. How much has changed between the Focus RS of last and the current generation - Pretty much all of it.

The 350z came out in 2002 (i think) and since there has been lots of development in the world of engines. They don't change all the components due to a high failure rate they change them because they can design them better (there may be the odd one in there that they will have improved reliability but that happens on all cars)

As the others have said, the biggest drop in prices were about 6 months ago when people were desperate to sell due to the economic climate. Things have stablised now so expecing another big price fall is being unfair to the market, so just get the best you can afford now and be happy with it. The enjoyment far outweighs the cost :teeth:

As for engine choice, you do your research and you make your choice. The only difference I can see is that the torque curve has changed to make more headline BHP over low down torque. The 80% changed engine is just marketing. Yes bits have changed, but only slightly and they didnt yeild a lot of gain in real terms. If you want more power, you be best off getting an 03 and remapping it with the money you saved, would be far more drivable power than an 07+. Saying that, the interior is nicer in the 07+. But the tax is more. So you make the choice on whats important to you and buy one :thumbs: