Carbon Fibre - ever had a go at it yourself?

givememorepower

I've seen a couple of tutorials and read some stuff on moulding various shapes etc using carbon cloth and resin, but has anyone else done this with success?

And what's getting me, is how do you finish the edge off to look smooth and neat after removing your piece from the mold and cutting the rough edges down to size?

Any one?? :blink:

Made a start on this earlier.

So far I have

*Removed 1 B-pillar from car

*Removed stick on CF cover

*Stabbed self in hand trying to remove said CF cover

*Spent an hour removing sticky residue left behind by CF cover

*keyed cover

*Applied Epoxy base coat

*Left to dry for 3 hours

*Laid down my caron fibre weave

*Applied Epoxy hardener

Im now waiting for it to cure before applying another layer which I will probably do in the morning.

It is not as easy as it looks in the tutorials but aslong as you take your time with it then you should get good results.

Im hoping to get the first pillar back on the car sunday afternoon so I will post pictures of it then :)

All the best with it then.

+ 1 on that.

I did have a look at this not long ago but the thing that put me off is that you can't get rid of the air bubbles without an oven.

use a hair drier. it gets the bubbles out ;)

Im hoping to get the first pillar back on the car sunday afternoon so I will post pictures of it then :)

+1. sounds like alot of fun mate apart from stabbing yourself. cant wait to see the pics

I've seen a couple of tutorials and read some stuff on moulding various shapes etc using carbon cloth and resin, but has anyone else done this with success?

And what's getting me, is how do you finish the edge off to look smooth and neat after removing your piece from the mold and cutting the rough edges down to size?

Any one?? :blink:

i have a bandsaw which does a good job, but something like a dremmel with a cutting head and a steady hand would probably do.

use a hair drier. it gets the bubbles out ;)

I have no experience with these thing biscuits as my hair (whats left of it) needs 10 seconds room air exposure to dry :blush:

whats left of my hair gets a number 2 trimming every 3 weeks so am in the same situation, but i nick my wifes spare one for DIY jobs. it should work like a heat gun and draw the bubbles to the surface.

Just to give an update

I left the pillar to harden over night, then this morning I gave it another layer of hardener. It should be dry in 8-10 hours & then I can sand it back to flatten all the layers. Once this is done then I can I apply the laquer, flatten it a bit more & then give it a final polish before refitting it to the car.

This is how it looks at the moment

DSC_2088.jpg

It looks a bit messy around the edges but the material is larger than the pillar so I will trim around it once its finished. There are 1 or 2 imperfections in my weave but for a first attempt I think its looking ok at this point

Nice one, not looking bad at all for a first attempt or second attempt at that!

See if you can show some pics of the edges when you've finished this one as that's where I'm concerned I may fkcu up.

Really keen to get started on this as I could save so much of my vital beer money and make my car look extra sexy too. :drunk:

i have a bandsaw which does a good job, but something like a dremmel with a cutting head and a steady hand would probably do.

How would you get a sexy smooth edge though, and not a cut flat edge that looks unfinished? I would want to achieve a smooth glossy finish on the edges that mirrors the surface.

Things did not go well. I had a slight distortion in the weave & tbh it looks gash :headhurt:

Trying to remove it at the moment & may have another go but more likley ill just buy new carbon covers :dry:

How would you get a sexy smooth edge though, and not a cut flat edge that looks unfinished? I would want to achieve a smooth glossy finish on the edges that mirrors the surface.

easy affter cutting, just wet and dry the edges and then polish.

same as with plastics ;)

• 3 weeks later...

Just a quick bump.

After my first very unsuccesful attempt I decided to have another go before spending money on new pillars.

DSC_2104.jpg

DSC_2105.jpg

DSC_2106.jpg

DSC_2107.jpg

Its still not 100% perfect, from some angles & from afar it looks perfect but upclose you can see a few flat spots in the carbon. Yes I know I've still got the top part uncut but it makes it easier to remove If i decide to rip it off again. And thats the flash from the camera shining on the pillars not flaws in the weave :)

Opinions. Please dont be too harsh :blush:

Looks much better than the first attempt. A big thumbs up for persevering and I am sure with a few more tried you will master it! :thumbs:

I am lazy and not DIYish at all so will just pay Paul to do it. :)

You need an oven to bake the bubbles out? I always new Paul was a master baker! :lol: Had to get that one in - sorry Paul.