Bike rack

caroline

You guys are going to think I'm crazy but... :bangin:

As a keen cyclist I'd like to ferry my bike about somehow with my Z. :scare:

I have a normal bike rack but it just doesn't really work that well and the straps sometimes fall off.

Does anyone know of a good bike rack to fit a roadster?

I know bird automotive do one but I'm not too keen on drilling holes in my car (their's involves drilling holes in the bumper strut I think)

Is there another thats any good? Or should I just give up on this idea? :headhurt:

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One thing once you get a rack sorted whatever it might be. Make sure you have something with you to hold the front wheel of the bike in place or at least to cover it. Our Z paint isn't very thick so it damages easily. Never had either of my bikes in the Zed but have in all my other cars.

Didn't someone on here make a custom bike rack that goes into the rear tow eye?

Indeed and I have it now. However you do need to cut the rear bumper slightly. I'm not massively confident in it, I think it needs some more bracing or something. Its solid and I can hang off it, but it has some movement, which I think is in the rack and not the mount. Its basically a Halfords tow bar mount with a custom hook up to the Zed towing eye.

This is it on the old owners car:

DSC00310a.jpg

Unfortunately, for a roadster the only off the shelf one you can get is the BIRD Automotive.

Hmmm Can I get a tow bar mount one for my roadster then?

Where is the towing eye?

That rack looks fine for what I use it for, I'm a track and road cyclist so most of my bikes are much lighter than a Mountain bike

Hmmm Can I get a tow bar mount one for my roadster then?

Where is the towing eye?

That rack looks fine for what I use it for, I'm a track and road cyclist so most of my bikes are much lighter than a Mountain bike

You'd need to have someone fabricate the mount. Basically on the pic above, the Halfords rack is literally what the bike is sat on, down to the mount (you can see the mounting pins at the bottom). It has been modified so that there is a mount bolt that feeds through it and into the tow eye (its behind the small removeable plastic piece just below the number plate). Two legs have also been added to stablise it and these mount up to the crash bar behind/inside the bumper. A fabricator could knock something similar up for you. This one was made by the previous owners Dad who was a motorsport fabricator. The kit is very well built.

I looked at all the options getting a rack on my Roadster to cart my MTB about - but decided against it.

As a results I am having to take the girlfriends 1.2 Punto upto the lakes this weekend rather then blasting up in mine :-( So if anyone sees a blue Punto Sporting heading up to Coniston this weekend just pretend its a 350Z roadster and wave! ha ha

I saw one DIY job in America that involved welding very close to the fuel tank .....didnt really fancy that

You might get away with a carbon road bike, but my full suspension bike weighs a bit more. Give it a try and see ...and take some pics of the fitting as am curious myself

Has anyone here used the Bird Automotive one?

I own other cars I can use but none are good for motorway driving as they are 60s classic cars.

Alternative is to dismantle the bike and put it in the car but I'd rather get some kind of rack affair

Should you have to go down the dismantling route its worth mentioning that the roadster can often carry more than the coupe if you use the Tardi, the roof storage area. Just half open the roof and you can get a fair bit in.

Also, when throwing around metal bits of bike, remember the boot lid is plastic.

Can the coupe carry bikes?

I wouldn't think so, considering you can only just squeeze tyres in around the strut brace. But in a 370 with the open area in the back, maybe, with bike wheels off of course.

Yeah boofsquire look good. It seems they use another make of actual rack and make their own accessories to bundle together. I found the rack they used, but again was only available in the US. Bet you could import it for not too much. Really does depend on how much you want a rack though.

• 3 weeks later...